The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 1 of 126 (181 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Words aren't being "lowered", "rk"....you just don't like the meanings.  You attempt to distort the meanings of words in many circumstances, just as you did here with the word "deface" and just like you distort, or lie about what others post.  It's not as complicated as you wish to make it out to be.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When one takes the words Nazi, Fascist, alt-right, racist and Conservative and use them interchangeably as mere insults, that (to me) is lowering words.  Maybe you should consider they might not be "mere insults" but what others think about an individual. So, what am I a Nazi, a Fascist, a racist and/or a conservative?

When one says "just like you distort or lie about what others post" as a mere insulting throw-out with no specificity, that is lowering words. Again, maybe you should consider the fact it's a poster pointing out your false claims instead of an insult.  As for me, personally, I've never used that phrase as an insult....it's an observation of one's posting behavior.  Maybe you should change your frame of reference....you might just benefit from it.  You've lied many times about what I've posted.....such as saying I posted anything about the Bircher Societfy.  Consider this.....like Limblah, you see your views and everyone's elses.  You tend to lump everyone else's into one group...."the Left".  So you are often wrong about who said what because it's from the one group you created in your own mind......apparently, a very simple mind.  That's why you've never been able to provide a quote or an example of a person saying something when they know they didn't. I'm all for pointing out false claim - when done with specificity and proof. But constantly saying "you lie" is different. Please read before typing - I said nothing about you and the Birchers.

When one equates the use of the word "deface" with the word "racist" that is lowering words.  Maybe.  Who did that?  Or are you just making that up as well?

The right then misinterpreted it for us to be "defacement" just like they misinterpreted BLM to mean that only BLM. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 126 (222 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Words aren't being "lowered", "rk"....you just don't like the meanings.  You attempt to distort the meanings of words in many circumstances, just as you did here with the word "deface" and just like you distort, or lie about what others post.  It's not as complicated as you wish to make it out to be.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When one takes the words Nazi, Fascist, alt-right, racist and Conservative and use them interchangeably as mere insults, that (to me) is lowering words.

When one says "just like you distort or lie about what others post" as a mere insulting throw-out with no specificity, that is lowering words.

When one equates the use of the word "deface" with the word "racist" that is lowering words.

Provide proof in the form of a link to a paper from a recognized and accepted linguist who has earned a PHD in English and it's usage - not an EDD or a doctorate in a field completely unrelated to word meaning and usage.

I say you have made up that usage and that "lowered" has never had that recognized usage and meaning - until you fabricated that unaccepted and unrecognized meaning/usage.

We all know of "lowering oneself" as in voting for trump, or committing a criminal act - but your usage of "lowering" is not an accepted or recognized usage in the English Language.

One can "lower" oneself - but a word or expression cannot be "lowered" - except in the crackpot alternative reality.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 3 of 126 (232 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When one takes the words Nazi, Fascist, alt-right, racist and Conservative and use them interchangeably as mere insults, that (to me) is lowering words.  Maybe you should consider they might not be "mere insults" but what others think about an individual.

When one says "just like you distort or lie about what others post" as a mere insulting throw-out with no specificity, that is lowering words. Again, maybe you should consider the fact it's a poster pointing out your false claims instead of an insult.  As for me, personally, I've never used that phrase as an insult....it's an observation of one's posting behavior.  Maybe you should change your frame of reference....you might just benefit from it.  You've lied many times about what I've posted.....such as saying I posted anything about the Bircher Societfy.  Consider this.....like Limblah, you see your views and everyone's elses.  You tend to lump everyone else's into one group...."the Left".  So you are often wrong about who said what because it's from the one group you created in your own mind......apparently, a very simple mind.  That's why you've never been able to provide a quote or an example of a person saying something when they know they didn't.

When one equates the use of the word "deface" with the word "racist" that is lowering words.  Maybe.  Who did that?  Or are you just making that up as well?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 126 (240 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When one takes the words Nazi, Fascist, alt-right, racist and Conservative and use them interchangeably as mere insults, that (to me) is lowering words.

When one says "just like you distort or lie about what others post" as a mere insulting throw-out with no specificity, that is lowering words.

When one equates the use of the word "deface" with the word "racist" that is lowering words.

Message 5 of 126 (257 Views)

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 126 (266 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Read it again, slowly. I have my ideas. If anyone agrees with me, they are truly wise.

And you seem to have overlooked the fact that you appointed me a spokesperson for the alt-right, not me.

Possibly it is that inability to follow a conversation that is creating the problem with your definition of racism.

The only ones that agree with you are the Alt-Right . If you choose to call them "truly wise", then go ahead but it seems that only somone who supports them would say such a thing.

You seem to have overlooked the fact that you appointed yourself as a spokesperson of the Alt-Right by posting so many things that are of their opinions and agenda.

I have no problem following a conversation, you have the problem with racism because you refuse to accept it's dictionary meaning.

Again you illustrate a major problem. People using words and terms as insults without actually describing what they mean to them. Alt-right for example, I tried to get a discussion going on it's actual meaning but there seemed to be no interest in such an honest interaction.

It is that sort of thinking that lumps Nazis, Kluxxers and Fascists with Conservatives. It leads to believers in the teachings of Barry Goldwater being thought of as a Nazi and (as unbelievable as it may seem) Rich Wolff as a "Bircher".

Words are tools in discussion. To lower them to simply things to throw out as insults does not contribute to the purpose of these boards which I think all but one agrees is - discussion.

Message 7 of 126 (286 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

de·face
dəˈfās/Submit
verb
spoil the surface or appearance of (something), e.g., by drawing or writing on it; mar or disfigure.
"he defaced library books"
synonyms: vandalize, disfigure, mar, spoil, ruin, sully, damage, blight, impair, trash

appearance was changed and not a thousand posts from the left can not change that fact but they keep trying. The left keep digging a hole that they can not get out of. It says a lot about their ability to even want to be objective. They are doing their thing...baiting.

The hooligans were also doing this on on private property.

Kidboy, you can make the same claim 50 times and it doesn't change the fact that placing a sheet over a statue does NOT change the appearance of the statue.  If you were correct, each time the lights were turned off, the statue would be defaced.

Being real and honest is a virtue.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 126 (298 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Read it again, slowly. I have my ideas. If anyone agrees with me, they are truly wise.

And you seem to have overlooked the fact that you appointed me a spokesperson for the alt-right, not me.

Possibly it is that inability to follow a conversation that is creating the problem with your definition of racism.

The only ones that agree with you are the Alt-Right . If you choose to call them "truly wise", then go ahead but it seems that only somone who supports them would say such a thing.

You seem to have overlooked the fact that you appointed yourself as a spokesperson of the Alt-Right by posting so many things that are of their opinions and agenda.

I have no problem following a conversation, you have the problem with racism because you refuse to accept it's dictionary meaning.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 126 (346 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Well, you call me a spokesperson for the alt-right. If they are smart enough to agree with me, I will accept them as spokespersons for my wisdom.

Thanks for admitting that your thoughts and ideals about race are attuned to that of the Al-Right.  I hope you feel better now.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 126 (369 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Gee, for some reason I don't see, cover or conceal as an example of deface. Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I guess some just want to distort the facts and definition of words to bolster their version of the news.  Looks like righties don't "understand the news".  LOL!!!

Gee, would you feel the same about a statue of MLK? Would that be an LOL?

Most are not as foolish as those who think placing a sheet over a statue is "defacing" it.  Feel free to drape a sheet over the MLK statue.  I'd LMAO at the racists who think it would be any different than draping it over Jefferson.

Well, I believe your A is safe. Any rational person would see them as similar - an effort to disparage what the person stood for. In one case a movement for equal justice, in the other the creation of our wonderful nation.

The Alt-Right would say something very similar.

Well, you call me a spokesperson for the alt-right. If they are smart enough to agree with me, I will accept them as spokespersons for my wisdom.

Thanks for admitting that your thoughts and ideals about race are attuned to that of the Al-Right.  I hope you feel better now.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"