The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Baltimore Removes 4 Confederate Statues Last Night

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 63 (213 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Cent-The fact that anyone has to question why these statues, put up during Jim Crowe and civil rights as a way to intimidate, should be taken down and placed un museums in rooms entitled "our dark and racist past," proves the evil and blindness that dwells in the hearts of lesser beings--idiot in chief being first and foremost amongst them. 

I hope you saw the pictures of (3) of the (4) removed by Baltimore -I posted them in this thread just a few minutes ago.

Are we gonna remove the one in Arlington Cemetary too?

Confederate Memorial - Arlington National Cemetary

Confederate Monument - S face tight - Arlington National Cemetery - 2011.jpg

figure depicting The South atop the memorial

there are 32 figures on the mount

Confederate Memorial Arlinton National Cemetery

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 63 (217 Views)

These are (3) of the ones taken down.  Really ??!!  OH, yea - very threating.

The other one was Generals - Lee and Jackson

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Baltimore.

photo courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Baltimore.

a close up of the facial features

Confederate Women’s Monument

Roger B. Taney Monument

Erected in 1887, the sculpture of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, a Maryland native, is a copy of one at Maryland's State House, which has also been removed.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 63 (215 Views)

Cent-The fact that anyone has to question why these statues, put up during Jim Crowe and civil rights movement as a way to intimidate, should be taken down and placed in museums in rooms entitled "our dark and racist past," proves the evil and blindness that dwells in the hearts of lesser beings--idiot in chief being first and foremost amongst them. 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 63 (219 Views)

Richva wrote:

The question would be "why are we honoring these people"?  Robert Byrd was a very successful and popular member of Congress and the the Senate. They did not put up a statue of him for his KKK leanings anymore than we put up statues of George Washington because he owned slaves. We memorialize because of the accomplishments.  If you only accomplishment is that you fought really, really, hard to preserve the ownership of people, probably need to take the statue down. 

Then why did MD. take down the sculture of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney - he was accomplished

state senator

U.S. District of Attorney

Secretary of the Treasury

(Chief) Justice of the Supreme Court

Why was he memorialized in MD in the first place?  When and Why?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 63 (214 Views)

Richva wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

I can't wait to see the name "Robert Byrd" removed from stuff all over W.Va.

A thought - who is tearing down symbols of the past? The Taliban, ISIS, and the radical American left (and Democrats).

The question would be "why are we honoring these people"?  Robert Byrd was a very successful and popular member of Congress and the the Senate. They did not put up a statue of him for his KKK leanings anymore than we put up statues of George Washington because he owned slaves. We memorialize because of the accomplishments.  If you only accomplishment is that you fought really, really, hard to preserve the ownership of people, probably need to take the statue down. 

Stop that Rich.  You're using logic and intelligence.  You'll confuse the right-wing extremists.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 16 of 63 (214 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

A thought - who is tearing down symbols of the past? The Taliban, ISIS, and the radical American left (and Democrats).

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 63 (189 Views)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 63 (185 Views)

Richva wrote:

rker321 wrote:

Richva wrote:

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Remember who else removed/destroy historic monuments, etc that was unpleasant to their thinking?

And yet, no conservatives extended this argument of "history" when they were pulling down statues of Saddam or Lenin. Somehow it only becomes an argument when the monuments to people who's ONLY accomplishment was to fight in a war to own the people who live around the monuments. 

Wait a minute!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! are we all going crazy here?
Are we now equating Robert E Lee and Sadam Hussein?

Are you sure that you really mean what you have written?

Have we have gotten so divided that all reason has been thrown down the toilet?

Are you really sure that this is the path that you all want to follow?

Frankly, I think that the time has come that Trump needs to leave. He has done more harm to this country that perhaps this country can take.
Before is too late, this man has to go.

We as Americans cannot continue to be as divided as we seem to be today.

I hope that Congress and its leaders now really see what is happening in this country and put a stop to all of this.

I think you may have misinterpreted the point.  If it is history you are preserving with these statues, then the ones of Saddam and Lenin are equally historical if not more so. Yet there was no outcry when they were removed from the same conservatives who are decrying the removal of Confederate statues. 

I have no interest in doing a compare and contrast of the two men. The only similarity I see is that the statues of each should be removed. 

Fine, and where is the part of  your history should go?

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 63 (177 Views)

Richva wrote:

If the citizens of Charlottesville and Durham want them removed, they should be removed. 

Then why is liberals here raising a big fuss and condemning them?  It's your group that is calling for their removal, even though most have probably never seen them, nor live within a thousand miles from their location.

Message 20 of 63 (180 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

rker321 wrote:

Wait a minute!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! are we all going crazy here?
Are we now equating Robert E Lee and Sadam Hussein?

Are you sure that you really mean what you have written?

Have we have gotten so divided that all reason has been thrown down the toilet?

Just an attempt to confuse the issue along with the other frivolous remarks attempting to sidetrack discussions.  And yes, all of this comes across as an attempt to divide and conquer along with the political rhetoric.

Hardly.  It is a very successful attempt to show that these statues are NOT about history.  They were not built as historical monuments. They were erected to pay homage to the people who fought for your right to own people. If the citizens of Charlottesville and Durham want them removed, they should be removed.