The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Re: And THAT ladies and gentlemen, is how it is done!!!!

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 10 (108 Views)

@Richva—As one who has canvassed to get names on ballots, stuffed envelopes, made calls, gone to and taken part in town halls, as well as attending many fundraisers, I intend to take your posts to Democratic headquarters in my county, as my comment last night after we lost almost across the board to Republicans,  was that we really need to get our act together. What you guys did is exactly what we should have done.

It is easy to think that people will not continue to vote against their own best interests,  as they do here in this Appalachian, Republican district. But the truth is that people, rather than relying on real news sites, go to social media, where the most bizarre of the Bizzarre statements are posted and believed.

I am most happy for you and your candidates, but I am thankful for your post as I think it may help future candidates here in my county

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 10 (116 Views)

Please note underlined text.  

afisher wrote:

Well DONE  RICH!.      Yesterday, in TX, we had a low turnout (almost zero advertisment) election on State Amendments.    As an election judge, I spent the day at the polls.     Myself and my co-workers identifed(?) another problem and that was that we turned away more people than actually voted because of the system where one can do open-voting during early election and precinct only voting on election day.    So now, I am going to see if that can change.    (it isn't like we are relying on paper ballots).  

As is necessary, the training for that position also high-lighted another way that the State is looking to decrease voter turnout, by eliminating that people from the voter rolls who don't vote in every election.     That means some of the focus here in TX must be diverted from encouraging those individuals who always vote to widening the pool of people to assure that they remain registered and also engaged.    

My comments are to say , that we need to share what we learn in our local communities as both things that really do work ( ACTIVISM) and also discuss processes that should be improved for all voters and possibly learn from others rather than recreate the wheel.   

Here in San Antonio,  your processes of activism change was replicated to pretty much change the complexion of our City Council.   We now have a much more progressive brand of leadership moving the city forward.    

Kudo's to you and your team...keep sharing.    Thanks!   

It's easy to think that because things get done somewhat close to right in your neighborhood, other neighborhoods do the same.  Not so, folks....not so!  Thanks af.....I think we all needed that.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 10 (122 Views)

Panjandrum wrote:

Richva: The point of this long message is that Democrats in my area as well as others, have realized that elections are won with hard work and personal contact. We are back in the game. 

And how! Good job. I hope this wipeout sent a message to Trump and his odious little toads that beyond their base, the rest of us have had it with them.

Got a question for you.  Why in the world would you hope that? 

First off, they have repeatedly shown what anyone else thinks is not their concern. Second, poker or politics...don't tip your hand.  Third, you're not gonna convert 'em, so ignore 'em.  If they want to tag along, fine.  

If not, so what?  Whoops....that's two and you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 10 (133 Views)

Well DONE  RICH!.      Yesterday, in TX, we had a low turnout (almost zero advertisment) election on State Amendments.    As an election judge, I spent the day at the polls.     Myself and my co-workers identifed(?) another problem and that was that we turned away more people than actually voted because of the system where one can do open-voting during early election and precinct only voting on election day.    So now, I am going to see if that can change.    (it isn't like we are relying on paper ballots).  

As is necessary, the training for that position also high-lighted another way that the State is looking to decrease voter turnout, by eliminating that people from the voter rolls who don't vote in every election.     That means some of the focus here in TX must be diverted from encouraging those individuals who always vote to widening the pool of people to assure that they remain registered and also engaged.    

My comments are to say , that we need to share what we learn in our local communities as both things that really do work ( ACTIVISM) and also discuss processes that should be improved for all voters and possibly learn from others rather than recreate the wheel.   

Here in San Antonio,  your processes of activism change was replicated to pretty much change the complexion of our City Council.   We now have a much more progressive brand of leadership moving the city forward.    

Kudo's to you and your team...keep sharing.    Thanks!   

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 10 (136 Views)

Richva wrote:

I like to refer to myself as a foot-soldier in the Democratic party.  I am the guy you see at fund raisers, making phone calls, canvassing, and hand addressing envelopes for mailings. I was fortunate enough to work on the city council race for my district and the Democratic challenger won over the Republican incumbent. 

I do not believe I can tell you what it was that created this win.  We had an every Saturday morning neighborhood canvass . We attended every press event and public forum.  We made telephone calls into the areas we could not walk or to people we did not contact on foot. We asked to put up yard signs and the response was such that we had to do another printing. 

I am not sure what the incumbent did beyond press, forums, and large signs at intersections but I never ran into one of her canvassers and i only saw one yard sign.  

The point of this long message is that Democrats in my area as well as others, have realized that elections are won with hard work and personal contact. We are back in the game. 

COngrats. Ive done it in the past, and i take my hat off to your hard work and dedication. 

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 10 (141 Views)

I hope that the Democratic Party remembers what lessons they might have learned in this election for the next one. Many of the leaders seem to forget what worked in the past and have to relearn it every election.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 10 (150 Views)

Hi Richva - Sounds like you are a guy who "walks the walk" - politically speaking.  Good for you! 

Ohhh hey!  I think I just answered the question I was gonna ask you.  It was "Are you in Virginia or New Jersey - and now - looking at your handle - I'd say you are in Richmond VA.  Right?

I grew up across the river in MD.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 10 (169 Views)

Well, hello, Virginia.   Smiley Happy    

Nice job!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10 (171 Views)

Richva: The point of this long message is that Democrats in my area as well as others, have realized that elections are won with hard work and personal contact. We are back in the game. 

And how! Good job. I hope this wipeout sent a message to Trump and his odious little toads that beyond their base, the rest of us have had it with them.

Treasured Social Butterfly

And THAT ladies and gentlemen, is how it is done!!!!

Message 10 of 10 (173 Views)

I like to refer to myself as a foot-soldier in the Democratic party.  I am the guy you see at fund raisers, making phone calls, canvassing, and hand addressing envelopes for mailings. I was fortunate enough to work on the city council race for my district and the Democratic challenger won over the Republican incumbent. 

I do not believe I can tell you what it was that created this win.  We had an every Saturday morning neighborhood canvass . We attended every press event and public forum.  We made telephone calls into the areas we could not walk or to people we did not contact on foot. We asked to put up yard signs and the response was such that we had to do another printing. 

I am not sure what the incumbent did beyond press, forums, and large signs at intersections but I never ran into one of her canvassers and i only saw one yard sign.  

The point of this long message is that Democrats in my area as well as others, have realized that elections are won with hard work and personal contact. We are back in the game.