Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 41 (651 Views)

To all who have participated in this discussion thread:

Being non-partisan means interacting with organizations on all sides of key issues – not just those whose views are identical to your own.  AARP is committed to serving a diverse membership and fulfilling our responsibility to engage with groups and individuals with different perspectives on issues important to the 50+ and their families.

In 2016, AARP paid a fee to ALEC, which gave us an opportunity to engage with state legislators and advance our members’ priorities from a position of strength at ALEC’s annual meeting.   

AARP’s engagement with ALEC is NOT an endorsement of the organization’s policies either past or present. As is the case with other groups AARP engages with, there are many issues and areas where we strongly disagree with ALEC’s position or approach.

For example, AARP does NOT support ALEC’s model legislation on TABOR (Taxpayer Bill of Rights); a Constitutional Amendment for a Balanced Federal Budget, which is a direct attack on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid; the repeal of the Affordable Care Act; nor the other model legislation posted on its website. AARP has advocated in opposition of these proposals in the states and in Congress and will continue to do so.

AARP monitors and values member input and we have taken note of all your comments.   Our goal is that all of our activities will come together to help shape and enrich the experience of aging for our members and for America.

-AARP Online Community Team

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 41 (722 Views)

If AARP is supporting ALEC I will be ending my AARP membership.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 41 (740 Views)

@gail1

I thought I’d better share what I learned today since I posted this morning before I called asking, why!

I’m sure anyone can call them up like I did. They do have a prepared statement from their PR department that explains the ALEC relationship.
The statement is paraphrased because it was not on-line so I had them read it twice to me, hopefully I posted the gist of it.

I don’t think it will be much of a problem for them. With 38 million members you’re bound to have members on both sides of the political aisle. As you and I see in these community forums. So to be fair to both sides you should look at the entire spectrum before you decide what the best public policy is for a senior.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 41 (753 Views)

@ReTiReD51

You did a good thing.  Thanks for doing it and giving the update.

I'm not very good when it comes to ole saying but I think the one that fits here is

"The horses have already left the gate". 

I doubt if your one loan post is gonna stop what truth-out, CDM started cause now it is being posted in the MSM.

That's a big problem with just giving one side of the story.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 41 (770 Views)

The LA Times is now reporting that AARP is funding ALEC. 

Why is AARP cozying up to the right-wing group ALEC while big corporations flee?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aarp-alec-20160801-snap-story.html 

From the article:

The right-wing legislative lobbying group ALEC has been losing corporate members at a remarkable pace since 2012, due in part to its support of measures attacking clean energy, workers rights and voting rights. 

That makes the appearance of AARP on the list of sponsors of ALEC’s 2016 annual meeting last month all the more curious. As the Center for Media and Democracy, a long-term ALEC nemesis, revealed last week, “AARP isn’t exactly hiding its new financial relationship with ALEC.”

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 41 (775 Views)

HAI GUISE

So I called AARP this morning and I received a creditable explanation for this feeble association between ALEC and AARP.

“AARP does not endorse ALEC.” This is a quote from AARP.

I’ll have to paraphrase the rest:
In order to substantiate to their members that AARP considers ALL views not just the left or right, before they set their public policies. AARP has established working/learning relationships with many groups in order to give their members the most knowledgeable public policy decision they can. AARP does not necessarily endorse all the groups they meet with.

They thanked me for being a member in good standing for 14 years, and later I went on-line and renewed my membership for another 5 years. I’m convinced they are the best advocate a senior citizen can have on their side.

ASTA

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 41 (817 Views)
I will drop my membership immediately if AARP supports ALEC in any way. Has AARP responded?
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 41 (818 Views)

Since this is just a public discussion board, I suggest that any of you that have voiced concern on this matter contact the powers that be and I'll make it easy by providing the links so you can take your pick of where to voice your concern:

AARP Public Policy - Share Your Thoughts - Submit Feedback

AARP Contact Us - Address, Phone numbers, list of Board of Directors, Executive Team

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 41 (822 Views)

I have requested the same information before...Did AARP support or re-join ALEC?

We as members of AARP should be provided this information.  And if the answer is yes to re-joining ALEC, then why was this done?

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 41 (832 Views)

Has AARP given any money to ALEC in the past five years?