Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

Message 31 of 41 (1,422 Views)

Is there some way to get a refund on membership dues paid to AARP? ALEC is an evil organization, lobbying for many laws that make life difficult for seniors: I would hate to know that my dues have contributed to such a mean spirited, anti-senior, ageist group.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 41 (1,418 Views)

Could an official within AARP please respond and comment on their association with ALEC ?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Info Seeker

Message 33 of 41 (1,408 Views)

It was bad enough when you openly supported Bush's Part D "prescription drug plan."  But to be a corporate member of ALEC is totally unacceptable.  Please leave ALEC now.  And publicly, like the other organizations, including Google, that have done so.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 41 (1,411 Views)

I was going to renew my membership but not after this.

This is truly shocking:
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/37026-revealed-aarp-is-funding-alec

_________
Icono Clast
http://IClast.net/
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 35 of 41 (1,400 Views)

wow..imagine that AARP the fox in the henhouse, pretending to care about Seniors and supporting ALEC at the same time.  I was going to renew my membership but not after this.  You people need to decide which side you are on. 

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 41 (1,487 Views)

I was surprised and dismayed to learn AARP supports ALEC, the rightwing organization that is responsible for many deaths by guns thanks to their pushing "stand your ground" laws in many states. ALEC is no friend of seniors. I strongly urge AARP to reconsider its support of ALEC, something which over 100 corporations have cut ties with ALEC because they feel ALEC is not a good fit for their organizations. This is not a recent thing, either. Some cut ties years ago. Here's a link to a list of companies that have dropped ALEC: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Corporations_that_Have_Cut_Ties_to_ALEC

I just got my new membership card in the mail, good until July 2022. Had I known of AARP's support for ALEC, I would have seriously considered just letting my membership lapse.

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 41 (1,485 Views)

We just found out that AARP is a member of ALEC.  Ridiculous!  The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), is an organization whose bills have acted against the interests of ordinary Americans, including retirees and their families.  More than 100 corporations have quit the group, with many echoing Eric Schmidt of Google who said his company quit ALEC because: “I think the consensus within the company was that that was some sort of mistake and so we’re trying to not do that in the future."

Please advise why AARP is a member of this terrible organization before we take further action on our relationship with AARP! 

AARP Members

John & Linda Binder

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 41 (1,377 Views)

AARP needs to either explain to their membership why they would fund an organization whose work  is so antithecal to the interests of seniors, or just stop and withdraw their membership.  Publicly.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 39 of 41 (1,426 Views)

I would run not walk away from all AARP sponsored products.   But seeing as how the RW Veep is a big cheerleader of ALEC, the sheeplies will follow their party and not care how bad this and the spin off at the State level will skrew people.   

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 40 of 41 (1,404 Views)