AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES.

Message 11 of 33 (272 Views)

mandm84 wrote:

Your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers rker. What I dont get is those on the far right that want less government regulation. Could you imagine even less involvement from state and federal agencies regarding this issue. It would be only the wealthy survive with dignity !!!

Thank you for your understanding, She is no longer in any facility she is home. The reason was that she had a companion of almost 20 years that lived in an Assisted living facility and there was no way for us to actually removed her from where she was until the relationship  ended. As soon as that happened, we were able to remove her from the facility and now she lives at home.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 33 (270 Views)

Your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers rker. What I dont get is those on the far right that want less government regulation. Could you imagine even less involvement from state and federal agencies regarding this issue. It would be only the wealthy survive with dignity !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 33 (274 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

C'mon, rker, be real....save the fraudulant comments for the Cons here....  This facility is a nursing home, not an assisted care facility.  You claim to have had experience there with a family member, so you should know better.  You said you paid 2K a month, and now you say up to 4k?  Puh-LEEEEEZE...

8 dead, others evacuated at Hollywood nursing home without power after Irma

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills:

a warm, caring place

Patients at The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills receive a special kind of care: 

• Mind-body care, treating the whole person 
• Individualized care, meeting the unique needs of each person
Our highly trained staff is dedicated to the needs of our residents

A nurturing place...a family place

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills provides loving care and warm companionship to create a homelike atmosphere for our seasonal and year-round residents and our rehabilitation patients.

Insurance is Accepted

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills accepts most insurance programs, including Medicare, Medicaid and select HMOs. If you have questions about your insurance, please Contact Us.

BTW....the local Motel 6 in Florida charges $60.00 per day.....you get what you pay for.....

Well I guess that you can't help yourself. anything that I post requires an attack  from you.
Your need to devaluate anything that I say is in my mind questionable. but you must have your motives.
Yes, I was speaking abou asissted living facility and I do understand that  this one was a nursing home. my question is who was left in that facility to help the people that were there? Why wasn't the facility fully staffed and checking on the patients.?

But, that is not my issue or yours is it.
And I would appreciate if you would look into the pricing for assisted living facilities in so. Florida and see the prices. Yes, we couldn't afford the most expensive but paying  2200 a month for room and board is not so cheap.  which is what they offered.
Like I said, that is not a motel 6 and it doesn't function like a motel 6 but again, you can criticize me all you want. it seems to be your job.
After questioning "my whiteness" in another thread, what can I expect from you.?

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 33 (152 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

C'mon, rker, be real....save the fraudulant comments for the Cons here....  This facility is a nursing home, not an assisted care facility.  You claim to have had experience there with a family member, so you should know better.  You said you paid 2K a month, and now you say up to 4k?  Puh-LEEEEEZE...

I agree that there is a big difference between assisted living and nursing homes, but in my view, political correctness (for want of a better term) seems to have blurred the line between them  for many people in casual conversation, and often I've seen both kinds of facilities referred to as 'assisted living' (which is why I put 'assisted living' in quotes in my own earlier comment ).

I have seen that it seems like a segment of our society, while not actually  fixing anything, like to give things more socially acceptable names and to them "nursing home" sounds more bleak than the less-serious 'assisted living' while the very real problems with the former are often not addressed.  I have seen a few myself that I would characterize as 'warehouses for the dying' than anything else.
It's much like putting a nice new coat of paint on a run-down building rather than repairing the building itself.

But you are correct in pointing out the large difference between the two.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 33 (302 Views)

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills:

a warm, caring place

Patients at The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills receive a special kind of care: 

• Mind-body care, treating the whole person 
• Individualized care, meeting the unique needs of each person
Our highly trained staff is dedicated to the needs of our residents

A nurturing place...a family place

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills provides loving care and warm companionship to create a homelike atmosphere for our seasonal and year-round residents and our rehabilitation patients.

Insurance is Accepted

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills accepts most insurance programs, including Medicare, Medicaid and select HMOs. If you have questions about your insurance, please Contact Us.

BTW....the local Motel 6 in Florida charges $60.00 per day.....you get what you pay for.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 33 (279 Views)

I sort of disagree that paying 2-4000  per room in an assisted living facility which is a facility that deals  with inidividuals that do not have constant needs just simply get their room cleaned and provide their food. is really not comparable with Motel 6 prices which is a temporary facility.

I can see prices even above that in nursing homes. but not in assisted living which everyone is mostly mobile and do take care of themselves.
The assisted living facility that my daughter was had a lot of vets with PTSD that were physically ok and even them they had a Vet person that would go there twice a week to see that they were ok and their needs covered.
I believe that people seem to confuse a assisted living facility with nursing homes and the services that each provide.
Assisted living facilities do not accept people with dementia or Alzeimers people that cannot take care of themselves are not allowed in those facilities.

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 33 (328 Views)

"We should contact our Senators and Reps Federal and State and demand that they create better regulatory measures to make sure that those facilities actually act in a humane manner."

That's a very good point, but comments like that have come up too many times to count in my 30+ years of discussing politics with people for me not to comment.

My response is always the same.  Why should "we" tell these people to do their jobs?  The jobs they promised us they would do.

Why should "we" point out to these politicians what they themselves see on the news, or by simply visiting a few facilities for the less affluent seniors and speaking to some of the residents or their families so they can see for themselves what needs to be done?

Why should "we" tell these politicians to look into where all the government money, the insurance companies' money and the residents own savings is going to care for these people instead of lining the pockets of unscrupulous 'assisted living' centers owners?

"We" shouldn't have to tell these elected representatives how to do their jobs.  What "WE" need to do is throw them out on election day, and keep throwing them out until we get people who WILL do the jobs we elected them to do.  They are elected so "we" don't have to do the job FOR them.

Whether or not they actually DO their jobs, they know what the job IS, otherwise they shouldn't run for office.  The problem is the people don't know THEIR jobs and let these crooked and lazy politicians walk all over the people who elected them.

Highlighted

Message 18 of 33 (334 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Finally. A correct answer. These homes are manned by workers who are at minimum wage, sometimes a bit above. There is minimal training needed, and the amount of training needed depends on the state.

The major issue, to me, is that there is never enough staff to meet the demands of the job. Do any of the posters here know of anyone who would love to have a job in one of these facilities? There is an immense shortage of workers which will not change because the demands of the job are high, the pay is low, and there is huge turnover.

Laws are in place. Inspections are done. But you need staff to do the day-to-day cares, and there is never enough staff to do this.

Further, a number of initiatives have begun in various parts of the country to do what ---- bring in immigrants to do the cares. Guess what. It's another job your out-of-work-living-in-the-basement-kid  won't do, but immigrants will.

I know someone who worked in one.  She went to work thinking it would be a great fit because she enjoys working with the elderly but she left because she didn't agree with the policies. Said she couldn't do the kind of job she knew she should. Too low staffed and too little service.  Well so you are right.  Who wants these jobs?  And do they have the right temperament to work in these type of jobs?

What if you (not you personally) need this type of care?  Are you getting scared thinking about it?  Have you made any plans?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 33 (339 Views)

"....I am sorry your daughter had to deal with those issues and glad that you were able to remove her.  The cost is not small but the workers are not paid much and finding good care workers is difficult. Not a very bright picture if you are looking at needing one of these facilities....". 

Finally. A correct answer. These homes are manned by workers who are at minimum wage, sometimes a bit above. There is minimal training needed, and the amount of training needed depends on the state.

The major issue, to me, is that there is never enough staff to meet the demands of the job. Do any of the posters here know of anyone who would love to have a job in one of these facilities? There is an immense shortage of workers which will not change because the demands of the job are high, the pay is low, and there is huge turnover.

Laws are in place. Inspections are done. But you need staff to do the day-to-day cares, and there is never enough staff to do this.

Further, a number of initiatives have begun in various parts of the country to do what ---- bring in immigrants to do the cares. Guess what. It's another job your out-of-work-living-in-the-basement-kid  won't do, but immigrants will.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 20 of 33 (340 Views)

rker321 wrote:

Unless you have dealt with them like I have because of my daughter, I don't think that people do realize the poor care that they receive in most of these facilities, the one that my daughter was, was supposed to be a good place and sort of expensive if you can think of a little over 2,000 a month and the daily care was atrocious.  Here's the point, rker.......what type of care do you expect for $65 per day, including room and board?  If you expect good, or great care, it's your expectations that are flawed.

Don't misunderstand....I'm not saying is acceptable, but the issue is what you were expecting for less  than the cost at a motel 6?  Good care is expensive.....most don't "get it".  See the whines about the cost of the ACA....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.