Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES.

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 33 (238 Views)

rker321 wrote:

I have no doubt that those death will expose the lack of humanity that most of those places display.
The lack of services in many of those assisted living facilities is appaling.  when my daughter was there the only thing that they did for her was clean very badly her room. Everything else she took care of herself. She did her ow laundry because she couldn't  have them wash her clothes, half of them didn't come back or wer ruined.
She took care of herlself completely, she went to the dining room and they gave her food. And yes only if she got sick they dealt with her badly, and only when I would scream at the manater that the Dr. better see my daughter because she had a bad bronchitis.
Yes the maid are paid minimum wage if at all. and yes they have people that come to see the facility, but, warned the facility of when, so they cleaned the rooms extra.
It was a miserable place, and we were very glad when we were ablt to get her out of there. and yes I was paying 2200. a montn plus her TV cable and Internet service. and phone. and any clothers, or any other necesity. 
We saw those old people in Tx, and now the deaths in Florida,  no surprise as far as I am concerned. perhaps now something will be done to those facilities.

I am sorry your daughter had to deal with those issues and glad that you were able to remove her.  The cost is not small but the workers are not paid much and finding good care workers is difficult. Not a very bright picture if you are looking at needing one of these facilities.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 33 (229 Views)

I have no doubt that those death will expose the lack of humanity that most of those places display.
The lack of services in many of those assisted living facilities is appaling.  when my daughter was there the only thing that they did for her was clean very badly her room. Everything else she took care of herself. She did her ow laundry because she couldn't  have them wash her clothes, half of them didn't come back or wer ruined.
She took care of herlself completely, she went to the dining room and they gave her food. And yes only if she got sick they dealt with her badly, and only when I would scream at the manater that the Dr. better see my daughter because she had a bad bronchitis.
Yes the maid are paid minimum wage if at all. and yes they have people that come to see the facility, but, warned the facility of when, so they cleaned the rooms extra.
It was a miserable place, and we were very glad when we were ablt to get her out of there. and yes I was paying 2200. a montn plus her TV cable and Internet service. and phone. and any clothers, or any other necesity. 
We saw those old people in Tx, and now the deaths in Florida,  no surprise as far as I am concerned. perhaps now something will be done to those facilities.

Message 23 of 33 (236 Views)

rker321 wrote:

Hollywoos Florida  just reported 6 dead and others in critical condition because of heat exhaustion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/six-dead-hollywood-florida-nursing-home-after-irma-...

BREAKING

NEWS

HURRICANE IRMA

SEP 13 2017, 5:18 PM ET
Eight Dead at Hollywood, Florida, Nursing Home After Irma Cut Power

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 33 (238 Views)

Those places are not manned by nurses, they have one of two nurses by shift for the whole facility and a doctor goes probably two to three times a week, remember those are not nursing homes, they are assisted living facilities, you have to be able to do all of the things for yourself or you can't be there. They you become a candidate for a nursing home.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 33 (225 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Nursing homes are regulated by the state (Department of Health) and the Federal Governments (CMS).  They are inspected regularly. Whether one considers them expensive or not is quite subjective as many struggle to make a profit.  Employees are often underpaid; good, quality care is often lacking.  Good healthcare, IS expensive.....most Americans are just now learning how expensive it is.

Nursing care is expensive for the same reason health care in America is expensive - we've made it profit-based instead of a basic human right. If we decide its something we all need, then we vote for people who will figure out how to pay for it, and we'll have it, same way we'll get affordable health care.

Problem: some folks are deluded into thinkging the ones raking in the profits will suddenly be transformed into saints and accept a reasonable return on their investment when Republicans have made certain the laws favor overcharging and under delivering.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 33 (217 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@mimi0000 wrote:
I agree. At 87 I'm probably closer than anyone here to this issue.
Along with requesting better Homes regulations I would like to see this Country support Assisted Death for those who are ready to die and instead of worrying about the cost of care and chronic suffering .
Oh if I ruled the World

ONE VOTE for mimi to rule the world.....

TWO votes !!

One More!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 33 (189 Views)

Unless you have dealt with them like I have because of my daughter, I don't think that people do realize the poor care that they receive in most of these facilities, the one that my daughter was, was supposed to be a good place and sort of expensive if you can think of a little over 2,000 a month and the daily care was atrocious. I took care of all of my daughters needs extra from her room and board. and the only thing that she required was to be able to see a doctor if she got sick which was not often. 
I had to fight them and once actually threatened them with legal action.
There is no excuse for their behaviour, and yes they came perhaps once or twice a year to inspect the rooms and they would tell the facility when they were coming, at that time they would make an effort to present a good face and give the rooms good cleaning. 
There was a reason that she was there, but when the reason was remonved, we took her out ihnmediately. and hope that she never returns to any of those places.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 33 (190 Views)

There was a disturbing report on the news last night, or night before, about some nursing home or assisted living residents that were found abandoned. They were rescued by police and taken in by the students at Ave Maria University, where they put them into unoccupied dorm rooms. The students were taking care of them and said that they were all doing well. Their field house was also providing shelter to children and elderly people in the area with nowhere to go. Good for these kids!!

My question is - who abandoned these people, and are they being held accountable? That was not mentioned in the report and I haven't found anything more on the story. To think that someone might get away with abandoning these residents is just unconscionable.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 33 (189 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@mimi0000 wrote:
Along with requesting better Homes regulations I would like to see this Country support Assisted Death for those who are ready to die and instead of worrying about the cost of care and chronic suffering .
Oh if I ruled the World

TWO votes !!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 30 of 33 (188 Views)

@mimi0000 wrote:
Oh if I ruled the World

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.