AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: AND JESUS SAID UNTO PAUL OF RYAN

Message 51 of 73 (157 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Mr. Kristof, you make a very good point. Jesus did command us to help our fellow man - and we certainly should.

On the other hand, those who follow the teachings of Karl Marx rather than Jesus command us to put in place a government that will seize the property of the productive and redistribute among the others.

Slightly different concepts. 

Somebody once claimed that Jesus was the first communist....I think that remark was in regard to the rich man entering Heaven.  You may be on shaky ground if you claim Marx and Jesus are on separate ends of the ethical spectrum on everything.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 73 (163 Views)

Rk-- allow me to explain--Christians care for their fellow man! the Bible says we are our brother's keeper.

lately the Republican line seems to be "we are our brothers rappers, and by that I mean, economically, constitutionally, and even with regard to truth.

so you are right,  a right wing Christian does seem to be a little far-fetched.

now having said that, that's not true forall people who align themselves with the Republican Party,  but it certainly holds true for the idiot who is in power and those who cheer him on.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 73 (153 Views)

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

MIseker wrote:
WHen Jesus returns and starts smiting people, the right wing christians are in for a big surprise

"right wing Christians" ...?

Sounds like "a combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings".

A very strange comment. I know of no place where Christian doctrine opposes Constitutional government.

How about those supposed Christians who feel that their religious beliefs should allow them to deny Constitutional rights of others ... particularly gay people.

An appropriate comment only if those gay people are hungry or in need of some other government charity.

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” is quite different from the constant class hatred of our leftists.

Different because it has absolutely nothing to do with "class hatred" , a term you contrived ..... nor "leftists", a false accusation. 

My error. I thought I had seen a constant attack on the 1%ers here. I wonder where I got that idea. 

Also different is "the time frame" in which Jesus made that statement .... a time wherein the ONLY method to assist the poor was by individual assistance.

True, times have changed. There was a time when helping the poor was considered the right thing to do. Today the "right thing to do" is to expect the government to take someone els's property to help the poor. And those who do that then praise themselves as good compassionate people.

He said, in effect, YOU have a responsibility, not the government has a right.

He never said anything about "the government" in that teaching, as you fallaciously implied.

Exactly my non-fallacious point. Jesus was talking to people, not governments.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 54 of 73 (144 Views)

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Mr. Kristof, you make a very good point. Jesus did command us to help our fellow man - and we certainly should.

Yet your posts clearly suggest otherwise.

On the other hand, those who follow the teachings of Karl Marx rather than Jesus command us to put in place a government that will seize the property of the productive and redistribute among the others.

Nobody is following the teachings of Karl Marx here as you fallaciously claim.

But what your Republicans are looking to do is "seize" what little the poor and middle class have left and give it to the most wealthy ..... more and more welfare for the already wealthy at the expense of ALL other Americans!

And a gross false equivalency!

One said that people have an obligation to help their fellow man. The other said that the government should control such actions. I'll leave it up to you as to whose philosophy you are following.

There is a limit on what one individual person can do to help all people as no one person has unlimited resources. And that is where government needs to step in .... to do for its citizens what they are unable to do by themselves.

It is interesting that individuals do not have the resources to do what is needed but the government does. I guess the bureaucrats in DC go down to Tidal Basin an pluck those dollars right of the money trees.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 55 of 73 (197 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

MIseker wrote:
WHen Jesus returns and starts smiting people, the right wing christians are in for a big surprise

Sounds like "a combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings".

A very strange comment. I know of no place where Christian doctrine opposes Constitutional government.

How about those supposed Christians who feel that their religious beliefs should allow them to deny Constitutional rights of others ... particularly gay people.

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” is quite different from the constant class hatred of our leftists.

Different because it has absolutely nothing to do with "class hatred" , a term you contrived ..... nor "leftists", a false accusation. 

Also different is "the time frame" in which Jesus made that statement .... a time wherein the ONLY method to assist the poor was by individual assistance.

He said, in effect, YOU have a responsibility, not the government has a right.

He never said anything about "the government" in that teaching, as you fallaciously implied.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 73 (205 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

But what your Republicans are looking to do is "seize" what little the poor and middle class have left and give it to the most wealthy ..... more and more welfare for the already wealthy at the expense of ALL other Americans!

One said that people have an obligation to help their fellow man. The other said that the government should control such actions. I'll leave it up to you as to whose philosophy you are following.

There is a limit on what one individual person can do to help all people as no one person has unlimited resources. And that is where government needs to step in .... to do for its citizens what they are unable to do by themselves.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 73 (317 Views)

I never thought that I would see Ryan being defeated and so soon.  lOL  lOL  LOL

Not even his own party is swalowing this one. I wonder if it will pass, because the Senate won't. Bye Bye Mr Ryan, this is your swan song.  We won't even see you any more as a presumpting President. You have blown it quite heavily.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 73 (321 Views)

myexper wrote:

MIseker wrote:

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” is quite different from the constant class hatred of our leftists. He said, in effect, YOU have a responsibility, not the government has a right.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 73 (304 Views)

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 73 (412 Views)

mandm84 wrote:

They're called Oxy**bleep**s in my World. Go to church on Sunday , then go to work on Monday to cut Earned Benefits for our already struggling Senior's and Disabled !!!

Oh the Humanity !!!

Yep - OxyRepublicans...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning