AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: AND JESUS SAID UNTO PAUL OF RYAN

Message 41 of 73

Rk9152- here's  your problem with individuals helping individuals-- they don't do it!

people get so caught up on in their own life they often don't even contact their friends for long periods of time!

when is the last time you 1.bought groceries for a needy family

2.took them and paid for their medical or dental care or vision care

3. offered them a ride on a ongoing basis because they had no car

4. bought clothes for their children or the  adults

it doesn't happen! the majority of people are too busy. it is a very good idea in theory, it is a wonderful idea in theory, but Theory and reality are not the same.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 73

rk9152 wrote:

My error. I thought I had seen a constant attack on the 1%ers here. I wonder where I got that idea. 

Perhaps from listening to RW extremist media.

That one comment indicates an interest in fighting, not discussing.

Actually, your comment "on the 1%ers here" followed by an invitation to attack that comment  "indicated an interest in fighting".

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 73

Paul Ryan is not now and has not been the kind of practicing Christian whose life, actions, and speech is guided by the words of Jesus - rather his life is guided by the words, desires and unreported "influence" of dishonest Repubican/Conservative politicians - for the last fifteen years - ever since he prostituted himself to the Repubican Party.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 73

My error. I thought I had seen a constant attack on the 1%ers here. I wonder where I got that idea. 

That one comment indicates an interest in fighting, not discussing.

I'll say good-bye.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 73

umbarch64 wrote:

The last time I looked here in this place on the globe, People establish Government and in that sense all by itself, the Government IS the People.  So your animus toward Government as an entity ought to be qualified as it relates to the United States of America. Government is not inherently bad as you intimate.  It can be corrupted by "bad" people though.  Is that what you meant to say? 

Same thing is true for just about any philosophical concept when it is used in a corrupt fashion.  You wouldn't do that....I know you wouldn't.

The Bolsheviks established the government in the USSR. Would you say that the citizens of the USSR were the government?

As to animus towards the government - not so. My animus is towards the idea of granting too much power to the government in opposition to the concepts of our Constitution.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 73

rk9152 wrote:

umbarch64 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Mr. Kristof, you make a very good point. Jesus did command us to help our fellow man - and we certainly should.

On the other hand, those who follow the teachings of Karl Marx rather than Jesus command us to put in place a government that will seize the property of the productive and redistribute among the others.

Slightly different concepts. 

Somebody once claimed that Jesus was the first communist....I think that remark was in regard to the rich man entering Heaven.  You may be on shaky ground if you claim Marx and Jesus are on separate ends of the ethical spectrum on everything.

Not so. Jesus spoke of the responsibilities of the individual. Marx spoke of the power of the State.

/wow    Rk  that was a great response.!!!!!!!!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 73

umbarch64 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Mr. Kristof, you make a very good point. Jesus did command us to help our fellow man - and we certainly should.

On the other hand, those who follow the teachings of Karl Marx rather than Jesus command us to put in place a government that will seize the property of the productive and redistribute among the others.

Slightly different concepts. 

Somebody once claimed that Jesus was the first communist....I think that remark was in regard to the rich man entering Heaven.  You may be on shaky ground if you claim Marx and Jesus are on separate ends of the ethical spectrum on everything.

Not so. Jesus spoke of the responsibilities of the individual. Marx spoke of the power of the State.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 73

pc6063 wrote:

Rk-- allow me to explain--Christians care for their fellow man! the Bible says we are our brother's keeper.

lately the Republican line seems to be "we are our brothers rappers, and by that I mean, economically, constitutionally, and even with regard to truth.

so you are right,  a right wing Christian does seem to be a little far-fetched.

now having said that, that's not true forall people who align themselves with the Republican Party,  but it certainly holds true for the idiot who is in power and those who cheer him on.

I appreciate the explanation but, of course, the snottiness about right wing Christians was uncalled for.

Now, let us consider your explanation. I agree with the concept of caring for our fellow man as individuals, not as dictated by pols and bureaucrats. Based on the above, it may be that we are in agreement.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 73

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

MIseker wrote:
WHen Jesus returns and starts smiting people, the right wing christians are in for a big surprise

"right wing Christians" ...?

Sounds like "a combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings".

A very strange comment. I know of no place where Christian doctrine opposes Constitutional government.

How about those supposed Christians who feel that their religious beliefs should allow them to deny Constitutional rights of others ... particularly gay people.

An appropriate comment only if those gay people are hungry or in need of some other government charity.

Hungry gay people ???? 

Absolutely NOTHING to do with the example I gave you!

“One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” is quite different from the constant class hatred of our leftists.

Different because it has absolutely nothing to do with "class hatred" , a term you contrived ..... nor "leftists", a false accusation. 

Also different is "the time frame" in which Jesus made that statement .... a time wherein the ONLY method to assist the poor was by individual assistance.

True, times have changed. There was a time when helping the poor was considered the right thing to do.

Still is .... but the necessitated help for the poor is limited by what individuals are able to do. Hence the need for government help.

Today the "right thing to do" is to expect the government to take someone els's property to help the poor.

The only people who want to take someone else's property are Republicans ..... taxing the middle class to give that money to the already wealthy via colossal tax cuts for the wealthy!

And those who do that then praise themselves as good compassionate people.

Yup .... that's pretty much what Republicans do. When in reality, they couldn't care less for the poor!

He said, in effect, YOU have a responsibility, not the government has a right.

He never said anything about "the government" in that teaching, as you fallaciously implied.

Exactly my non-fallacious point. Jesus was talking to people, not governments.

And TODAY'S definition of government, per Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

"government: the group of people who control and make decisions for a country, state, etc. — "

And in America, elected people ARE the government, rk!!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 50 of 73

The last time I looked here in this place on the globe, People establish Government and in that sense all by itself, the Government IS the People.  So your animus toward Government as an entity ought to be qualified as it relates to the United States of America. Government is not inherently bad as you intimate.  It can be corrupted by "bad" people though.  Is that what you meant to say? 

Same thing is true for just about any philosophical concept when it is used in a corrupt fashion.  You wouldn't do that....I know you wouldn't.