Follow the Harrowing Story of the Health Care Bill in AARP’s New Video Adaptation! Watch Here

Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,165
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 139 (218 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


Chas, who cares if he has an objection with a Washington Post database?  It's just more diversion because some are unable to discuss various subsets of data. "rk" only wants to discuss who goes home for dinner. May can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

 

The fact is, for hundreds of years no one knew how many people were killed by police, not even the FBI.  Many just assumed if the cops killed someone, they must have deserved it.  A few years ago, the Washington Post decided it was going to keep track of how many were killed by police.  this is an excellent source of information.  Yet some Conservatives want to discern who gets to go home for dinner.....just more intellectual dishonesty from the usual suspects.

 

Fact is, the police have shot and killed 461 people this year.  Don't "All Lives Matter"?  Can't we do better than this?  Of course we can.


Obviously there were not "bad cops" or "racist cops" involved in all those on your "victims" list. And, obviously no one said any such thing.  And obviously, implying such is either a lie or just more intellectual dishonesty.  If you could simply get away from the over generalizations caused by your defense of that list, some reasonable discussion might be possible.  LMAO.  And what "over generalizations" has anyone made?  The only one I've seen is your insisting there are "cop-haters" posting to this thread?  Your obstinate view is tiresome as you claim you know what other posters think and feel.  That's the only generalisation I've seen in these threads.  BTW...I've learned it's useless having any "reasonable discussion" years ago; it just doesn't work out.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 27,219
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 12 of 139 (119 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


Chas, who cares if he has an objection with a Washington Post database?  It's just more diversion because some are unable to discuss various subsets of data. "rk" only wants to discuss who goes home for dinner. May can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

 

The fact is, for hundreds of years no one knew how many people were killed by police, not even the FBI.  Many just assumed if the cops killed someone, they must have deserved it.  A few years ago, the Washington Post decided it was going to keep track of how many were killed by police.  this is an excellent source of information.  Yet some Conservatives want to discern who gets to go home for dinner.....just more intellectual dishonesty from the usual suspects.

 

Fact is, the police have shot and killed 461 people this year.  Don't "All Lives Matter"?  Can't we do better than this?  Of course we can.


Obviously there were not "bad cops" or "racist cops" involved in all those on your "victims" list. If you could simply get away from the over generalizations caused by your defense of that list, some reasonable discussion might be possible.

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,547
Registered: ‎11-07-2009

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 13 of 139 (116 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

 


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


I am not involved on a discussion board with the Washington Post. I am, however, involved on a discussion board with some who use the Post's list to further their anti-police bias. Hence, I address my concerns to my fellow posters.


Who here has "anti-police bias"?


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 13,566
Registered: ‎03-20-2009

Re: 463 People Shot & Killed by Police So Far in 2017

Message 14 of 139 (109 Views)

The WAPO database may be under counting:   According to the killedbycops database, the number is 576 deaths by cop shooting, each one documented with a linked article.

 

So the whiners can whine, that doesn't change the trajectory of the number of people that are killed by police annually remains at more that 1100 / year.      

 

It is important that people remember that these events continue to escalate.   

Trusted Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,165
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 139 (102 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


I am not involved on a discussion board with the Washington Post. I am, however, involved on a discussion board with some who use the Post's list to further their anti-police bias. Hence, I address my concerns to my fellow posters.


It's amazing to see posters lie and smear others solely due to their bigoted views.  It's VERY clear no one has said they hate cops, NO ONE!  Yet a couple of posters are obtinately devoted to calling others "cop-haters" and anti- police.

 

I noticed that Merriam-Webster defines "bigot" - as a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions. It appears we have several here posting on this forum.  It's sad.

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Trusted Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,165
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: 963 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 16 of 139 (111 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:


 Your "realities" and a small percentage of the actual cases, but who cares, eh?  
As I am sure you know, no one has suggested that. My objection is taking those few instances and projecting on all incidents of shootings by police and, by extension, all police officers.
I don't care what your objection is as your point is completely dishonest.  The fact is, only a "few instances" are suspects shooting at the police.  YOU IGNORE the majority of the cases where NO ONE is shooting at the police.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Trusted Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,165
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 17 of 139 (111 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


Chas, who cares if he has an objection with a Washington Post database?  It's just more diversion because some are unable to discuss various subsets of data. "rk" only wants to discuss who goes home for dinner. May can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

 

The fact is, for hundreds of years no one knew how many people were killed by police, not even the FBI.  Many just assumed if the cops killed someone, they must have deserved it.  A few years ago, the Washington Post decided it was going to keep track of how many were killed by police.  this is an excellent source of information.  Yet some Conservatives want to discern who gets to go home for dinner.....just more intellectual dishonesty from the usual suspects.

 

Fact is, the police have shot and killed 461 people this year.  Don't "All Lives Matter"?  Can't we do better than this?  Of course we can.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 27,219
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 18 of 139 (120 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


I am not involved on a discussion board with the Washington Post. I am, however, involved on a discussion board with some who use the Post's list to further their anti-police bias. Hence, I address my concerns to my fellow posters.

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 27,219
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: 963 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 19 of 139 (113 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:


 Your "realities" and a small percentage of the actual cases, but who cares, eh?  
As I am sure you know, no one has suggested that. My objection is taking those few instances and projecting on all incidents of shootings by police and, by extension, all police officers.

 

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 19,547
Registered: ‎11-07-2009

Re: 452 People Shot & Killed by Police so far in 2017

Message 20 of 139 (119 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


You keep bringing up individual incidents in your apparent attempt to justify all of the unnecessary police killings included in the Washington Post's data base. Why is that?

 

Many 'unecessary police killings' include suspects that are armed, usually with something other than a gun but sometimes even those with guns. Still admission or concern about the number of unnecessary police killings?

 

My concern is about the entire number of police killings, both necessary and not. It is an ill of our society.

 

Is the Washington Post organization a "Police Hater"?

 

 


I've said this before and will try again - my objection is lumping the rare individual instances of inappropriate police actions with all the others where no inappropriate actions occurred. It gives a false impression.

 

As to the Post - I don't know what they are thinking.


If you have a problem with them being "lumped together" then you need to take that up with the Washington Post. Have you contacted them? Have you asked them "what they are thinking"?


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"