AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: You Have to See it to Believe it -

Message 1 of 2 (69 Views)

Some bird species and shiny things! Sheesh! Smiley Happy

Alternately, though, the shinyness of our greenhouse, which is actually attached to and wraps around two sides of our stucco home, keep flickers (local woodpecker species https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Flicker/id) from creating holes in the stucco as they don't like the reflection. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

You Have to See it to Believe it -

Message 2 of 2 (137 Views)

Woodpeckers Go On A Crime Spree

Neighbors thought they were being terrorized by vandals.

Last Friday Kevin Morrisey walked out to his Ford Explorer to find glass broken on the ground.

“I saw the glass, said, 'Son of a biscuit, it got hit,'” Morrisey said.

His side mirror smashed and he wasn’t alone: One of up to two dozen victims in the Nob Hill subdivision of Snellville.

The “suspect” struck in broad daylight. Neighbors thought it must be kids with a BB gun or hammer.

Neighbors called police and officers took reports and even sent more patrols into the neighborhood

Until the culprit was caught red-“headed.”

“I thought, ‘Oh my God I got taken in by a woodpecker,’” Hancock said.

The woodpecker was about the size of a crow.

The woodpecker was not actually trying to break the glass. It saw its reflection and thought it was attacking another woodpecker.

Homeowners are now resorting to bagging their car’s side mirrors to protect the glass.

“So, when I get home, I keep this bag on there,” Morrisey said.

There’s a warning for anyone attempting to capture or harm the bird: The pileated woodpecker is a protected species.

This woodpecker is a protected species - maybe somebody should tell him, our cars are too !

Woman Wink