How Prescription Drugs Are Pinching Your Pocketbook on 'AARP Live' at 10 p.m. ET Online or on RFD-TV

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What is your 4th of July tradition?

Message 11 of 19 (1,748 Views)

As an adult I haven't really had any traditions for the 4th.  They have varied year by year.  While I lived in Marietta the entire three subdivisions that made up the swim and tennis club had a huge BBQ with an entire pig cooked in a pit and everyone bringing a side dish.  There was lots of beer, swimming and then dancing after dark.  It was a lot of fun.

Here in Macon, there have been band concerts at the old band stand in Central City Park.  I've attended a few years and it seems like going back to another era with table cloths on the ground, etc.

But what I remember most were the celebrations from my childhood.  In addition to all the patriotic meaning of the day, it also marked the middle of summer.  Our favorite place to swim was a spring-fed pool which was too cold at the first of summer.  To be honest, even on the 4th there was one corner where few people braved the cool temperture until August.  Also, my parents didn't believe that watermelon was edible until after the July 4th, so included in our picnic was a huge juicy red watermelon cut on newpapers to soak up the juice.  It would be cooled in the spring that ran beside the picnic tables until just before we were ready to go home.  I still haven't gotten used to seeing watermelon in the stores almost year-round.

This also marked when things were really getting ripe in Daddy's garden so the picnic would consist of green beans that Mother cooked at home and managed to keep somewhat warm for the trip packed in the same box as the fried chicken.   We also had ripe red tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden, deviled eggs and pimento cheese sandwiches.  I didn't like pimento cheese sandwiches at home, but they were entirely different on those picnics.

I remember at least one year when we met another family who were also having a picnic.  Their son had been in my class the year before and since there was a shortage of tables we joined our feasts together.  They had ham sandwiches and potato salad that was very different from what my mother made.  They also had two kinds of cake and a pie.  That year it really was a feast.

For my own treat today I had a ham sandwich and potato salad for lunch.  Dinner will be fried chicken, green beans and tomato and cucumber salad.  There will be no pimento cheese sandwiches.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 12 of 19 (1,700 Views)
Thank the Lord :
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 19 (1,716 Views)

We always had a family cook-out, that is until this year. My older son is away and my younger son and his wife, well, I don't know what they are doing. This is my first year of not having or doing anything on  the 4th. What great memories I have of previous 4th of July's. I live about a block from the waterfront. If you walk down to the waterfront in the evening around 9:00,  you can see the display of fireworks from Town Point. Neighbors use to gather down there but it's been awhile since I've been down there. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 19 (1,685 Views)

Family picnic with beer, brats and burgers. Remember that this is Wisconsin! For those that are not familiar with how to eat a brat it is a beer glazed brats, brown mustard and Sauerkraut

shutterstock_308134997.jpg

FB_IMG_1467658137502.jpgFB_IMG_1441900468320.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 19 (1,774 Views)

Back yard patio, grill, hot dogs, hamburgers. Badminton, horseshoes. After dark,marshmallows,smores,sparklers and watching fireworks from the local park.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 19 (1,791 Views)

Happy 4th to everyone!!!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 19 (1,828 Views)

We have a cook out with family members.

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 19 (1,730 Views)

I go see fireworks.

Community Manager

What is your 4th of July tradition?

Message 19 of 19 (1,116 Views)

Do you go see fireworks?  Stay at home in a/c?  Go to a neighborhood parade?

Tell us what do you do on the 4th of July.

AARPTeri