The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker +

Re: re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 11 of 33 (3,013 Views)

I am 82 and my wife is 81. We both live a very active life, my wife swims 3 times a week and I still work 2 - 8 hour shifts per week as well as volunteer at the local high school every Friday.

I strongly believe that a good marriage is the key to longevity. If you have Stess at work you can come home and forget about it, but if you have stress in your Marriage you live with it 24/7. Stress will eventually be your demise. 

JohninNevada

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 12 of 33 (3,143 Views)

I put my answer, my philosophy, into the form of a haiku:

love, laughter, learning

live life for the "L" of it

and look for beauty.

Info Seeker

Re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 13 of 33 (3,274 Views)

My Dad,, who died at 91, used to say, "If you want to live a long and healthy life, choose long-lived healthy ancestors."  LOL!  My favorite advice is:  Moderation in everything; even in moderation.  Good genes, a sense of humor, moderation, and a positive attitude will get you far.  At least I hope so, as I pass 70 and look forward to lots more adventures.

Conversationalist

Re: re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 14 of 33 (3,555 Views)

Good genes certainly (many of my older relatives lived until their eighties and nineties) but most of all if a positive attitude-always having something to look forward to do with one's life..that, I believe, along with relatively good physical health, is the key.

Gold Conversationalist

re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 15 of 33 (4,032 Views)
In Response to post:

Good Genes - being able to take the storms in life with being prepared for them like my Great Grandfather at 92 still skiing on the farm he passed at about 95 - having faith, love, harmony in life. 

Having fear in life, but saddling up anyway like John Wayne said. 

When challenges come your way don't be afraid to try, eat only until you are half full, drink wine or brandy like a friend needs to do before she arises each morning (her doctor told her to).  Be a friend, give alot of hugs to those around you, family first.  Converse, don't let anyone feel they are alone in the world, laughter is the best medicine and the best pill to take.  Be a friend, that washes away the tears, be a shoulder. 

Be adventurous and try new things it will keep your mind active and alert and celebrate birthdays for they are important to how far you have come and making new promises to do something special for yourself that day and within that year do something you never have done before.

I agree....good genes is a big key. My Dad will be 90 in July ...still drives and resides in the same house since 1949....which also helps for a longer life..independence, familiar surroundings and  front porches..(smile). Dad never smoked..as we know, smoking causes many premature deaths. His sister passed at 93 and his brother just passed at 99. Dad's brother never took a pill in his life and he, also, never smoked, lived at home and drove until he was 97!  Is 90ties the new 70ties?!?!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 33 (3,574 Views)
In Response to What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?:

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

What do you think contributes to a person's longevity?

Good Genes - being able to take the storms in life with being prepared for them like my Great Grandfather at 92 still skiing on the farm he passed at about 95 - having faith, love, harmony in life. 

Having fear in life, but saddling up anyway like John Wayne said. 

When challenges come your way don't be afraid to try, eat only until you are half full, drink wine or brandy like a friend needs to do before she arises each morning (her doctor told her to).  Be a friend, give alot of hugs to those around you, family first.  Converse, don't let anyone feel they are alone in the world, laughter is the best medicine and the best pill to take.  Be a friend, that washes away the tears, be a shoulder. 

Be adventurous and try new things it will keep your mind active and alert and celebrate birthdays for they are important to how far you have come and making new promises to do something special for yourself that day and within that year do something you never have done before.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 17 of 33 (3,322 Views)
In Response to post:

LOL! That's funny. It makes me think of the story my husband tells about his grandpa. He was a tough one indeed and would take a shot of Early Times everyday. Even though he was up in years, he could break open a tight belt wrapped around his chest. He was a tough old coot all right! hahaha! I wish I could have met him. I'm glad I'm married to his grandson!

What a great guy for a grandpa, he sounds like a rare and fun person to be around!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 33 (3,227 Views)
In Response to post:

Caro, I thought of something else that may have helped my mom to live to be 100, after my dad passed away, she was 76, she started to keep a bottle of whiskey in the house and had a small bit every day.  When she was growing up it was the fashion to keep whiskey in the house for medicinal purposes.

LOL! That's funny. It makes me think of the story my husband tells about his grandpa. He was a tough one indeed and would take a shot of Early Times everyday. Even though he was up in years, he could break open a tight belt wrapped around his chest. He was a tough old coot all right! hahaha! I wish I could have met him. I'm glad I'm married to his grandson!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 19 of 33 (3,089 Views)
In Response to What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?:

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

What do you think contributes to a person's longevity?

Caro, I thought of something else that may have helped my mom to live to be 100, after my dad passed away, she was 76, she started to keep a bottle of whiskey in the house and had a small bit every day.  When she was growing up it was the fashion to keep whiskey in the house for medicinal purposes.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 33 (3,066 Views)
In Response to post:

So many of our family situations sound familiar here on the Porch. My mom will be 90, June 4th, and we have a wedding in the family coming up and I'm holding my breath and praying she will go. I know my niece will take offense if she doesn't, but that's just my mom. She doesn't really like big social gatherings where there are "outsiders" present. Isn't that weird?

It could be that her hearing is fading and communicating in a noisy environment is intimidating.  Also, the 'bother' of getting dressed up  for it.

My father's side didn't have much in longevity, but there were several factors in some of the early deaths.  But both his mother and sister, I believe, died of loneliness.  I don't think my father considered having his mother move in with us, and it just didn't work for her to live with my aunt, but Aunt Margie did go check on her several times a week.  Aunt Margie was sharp as anything into her late 80's, but her doctor prescribed a blood pressure med and appartently thought she would eat bananas like she was supposed to.  But she never liked them for some reason, so just didn't.  The morning after she started the med, she had a stroke and it isolated her.  She only lived to 92.

My mother's side lived into their mid-late 80's but I think they all had attrocious health habits for the most part.  She had one brother still painting 2 story houses into his 80's then had a minor stroke and his daughter sold everything out from under him.  He went into a nursing home and found a girlfriend, but he was far too active for that sedentary life and didn't live much longer.