How Prescription Drugs Are Pinching Your Pocketbook on 'AARP Live' at 10 p.m. ET Online or on RFD-TV

Gold Conversationalist

re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 11 of 29 (3,466 Views)
In Response to post:

Good Genes - being able to take the storms in life with being prepared for them like my Great Grandfather at 92 still skiing on the farm he passed at about 95 - having faith, love, harmony in life. 

Having fear in life, but saddling up anyway like John Wayne said. 

When challenges come your way don't be afraid to try, eat only until you are half full, drink wine or brandy like a friend needs to do before she arises each morning (her doctor told her to).  Be a friend, give alot of hugs to those around you, family first.  Converse, don't let anyone feel they are alone in the world, laughter is the best medicine and the best pill to take.  Be a friend, that washes away the tears, be a shoulder. 

Be adventurous and try new things it will keep your mind active and alert and celebrate birthdays for they are important to how far you have come and making new promises to do something special for yourself that day and within that year do something you never have done before.

I agree....good genes is a big key. My Dad will be 90 in July ...still drives and resides in the same house since 1949....which also helps for a longer life..independence, familiar surroundings and  front porches..(smile). Dad never smoked..as we know, smoking causes many premature deaths. His sister passed at 93 and his brother just passed at 99. Dad's brother never took a pill in his life and he, also, never smoked, lived at home and drove until he was 97!  Is 90ties the new 70ties?!?!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 12 of 29 (3,009 Views)
In Response to What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?:

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

What do you think contributes to a person's longevity?

Good Genes - being able to take the storms in life with being prepared for them like my Great Grandfather at 92 still skiing on the farm he passed at about 95 - having faith, love, harmony in life. 

Having fear in life, but saddling up anyway like John Wayne said. 

When challenges come your way don't be afraid to try, eat only until you are half full, drink wine or brandy like a friend needs to do before she arises each morning (her doctor told her to).  Be a friend, give alot of hugs to those around you, family first.  Converse, don't let anyone feel they are alone in the world, laughter is the best medicine and the best pill to take.  Be a friend, that washes away the tears, be a shoulder. 

Be adventurous and try new things it will keep your mind active and alert and celebrate birthdays for they are important to how far you have come and making new promises to do something special for yourself that day and within that year do something you never have done before.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 29 (2,757 Views)
In Response to post:

LOL! That's funny. It makes me think of the story my husband tells about his grandpa. He was a tough one indeed and would take a shot of Early Times everyday. Even though he was up in years, he could break open a tight belt wrapped around his chest. He was a tough old coot all right! hahaha! I wish I could have met him. I'm glad I'm married to his grandson!

What a great guy for a grandpa, he sounds like a rare and fun person to be around!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 14 of 29 (2,662 Views)
In Response to post:

Caro, I thought of something else that may have helped my mom to live to be 100, after my dad passed away, she was 76, she started to keep a bottle of whiskey in the house and had a small bit every day.  When she was growing up it was the fashion to keep whiskey in the house for medicinal purposes.

LOL! That's funny. It makes me think of the story my husband tells about his grandpa. He was a tough one indeed and would take a shot of Early Times everyday. Even though he was up in years, he could break open a tight belt wrapped around his chest. He was a tough old coot all right! hahaha! I wish I could have met him. I'm glad I'm married to his grandson!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 15 of 29 (2,524 Views)

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

Caro, I thought of something else that may have helped my mom to live to be 100, after my dad passed away, she was 76, she started to keep a bottle of whiskey in the house and had a small bit every day.  When she was growing up it was the fashion to keep whiskey in the house for medicinal purposes.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 29 (2,501 Views)
In Response to post:

So many of our family situations sound familiar here on the Porch. My mom will be 90, June 4th, and we have a wedding in the family coming up and I'm holding my breath and praying she will go. I know my niece will take offense if she doesn't, but that's just my mom. She doesn't really like big social gatherings where there are "outsiders" present. Isn't that weird?

It could be that her hearing is fading and communicating in a noisy environment is intimidating.  Also, the 'bother' of getting dressed up  for it.

My father's side didn't have much in longevity, but there were several factors in some of the early deaths.  But both his mother and sister, I believe, died of loneliness.  I don't think my father considered having his mother move in with us, and it just didn't work for her to live with my aunt, but Aunt Margie did go check on her several times a week.  Aunt Margie was sharp as anything into her late 80's, but her doctor prescribed a blood pressure med and appartently thought she would eat bananas like she was supposed to.  But she never liked them for some reason, so just didn't.  The morning after she started the med, she had a stroke and it isolated her.  She only lived to 92.

My mother's side lived into their mid-late 80's but I think they all had attrocious health habits for the most part.  She had one brother still painting 2 story houses into his 80's then had a minor stroke and his daughter sold everything out from under him.  He went into a nursing home and found a girlfriend, but he was far too active for that sedentary life and didn't live much longer.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 17 of 29 (2,495 Views)
In Response to post:

Give her a hug from all of us here on the Porch! She sounds precious.

BELIEVE ME SHE IS. I WILL GIVE HER A BIG HUG FROM YOU ON THE PORCH.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 29 (2,307 Views)
In Response to post:

WE HAVE A LADY AT MAGNOLIA HEALTH AND REHAB THAT IS 109 YEARS OLD. SHE CLAIMS THAT GOOD FOOD, AND NOT GETTING ANGRY HAS HELPED HER. SHE IS ALWAYS HAPPY, SO SHE MUST LOVE GOD. I AM GOING TO ASK HER THE NEXT TIME I TALK TO HER ABOUT WHY SHE THINKS SHE IS LIVING SO LONG. SHE IS ALWAYS IN A GOOD MOOD. 

Give her a hug from all of us here on the Porch! She sounds precious.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 19 of 29 (2,176 Views)

WE HAVE A LADY AT MAGNOLIA HEALTH AND REHAB THAT IS 109 YEARS OLD. SHE CLAIMS THAT GOOD FOOD, AND NOT GETTING ANGRY HAS HELPED HER. SHE IS ALWAYS HAPPY, SO SHE MUST LOVE GOD. I AM GOING TO ASK HER THE NEXT TIME I TALK TO HER ABOUT WHY SHE THINKS SHE IS LIVING SO LONG. SHE IS ALWAYS IN A GOOD MOOD. 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 20 of 29 (1,864 Views)
In Response to post:

My mother is approaching 90 and lives by herself.  She has lots of help (mainly from me) as she does not drive and never has.  I deal with her meds, doctor visits, paying bills, and just generally seeing that she has what she needs.  The biggest problem is that she has never been a social person.  It's a major task to get her to leave the house.  She doesn't even want to attend family functions such as birthdays or holiday get-togethers.  Lots of times I just tell her I will pick her up.  She will go, but she really protests.  Don't know if she just wants someone to "beg" or if she really doesn't want to go.  Her biggest excuse is that the dog will be home by herself.  I think if she liked being around people she would do well in a group setting, but I think if I ever had to place her in a facility, she would decline very quickly.  She seems to be happy where she is, so that's what I hope we can continue to do.  She has always been an active person - always had "jobs' to do around the house, so maybe her keeping active has contributed to her longevity.  She has also been very conscious of her diet until the last few years.  Preparing food  for herself has not been something she enjoys since my father passed away.  She gets two meals-on-wheels a day and I'm very thankful the program is available.  At least I know she's receiving healthy food.

Carol

So many of our family situations sound familiar here on the Porch. My mom will be 90, June 4th, and we have a wedding in the family coming up and I'm holding my breath and praying she will go. I know my niece will take offense if she doesn't, but that's just my mom. She doesn't really like big social gatherings where there are "outsiders" present. Isn't that weird?