The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 1 of 33 (468 Views)

@DaveMcK   Funny Dave!  I am still giggling here.

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 33 (582 Views)

Continuing to wake up every morning!

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Recognized Social Butterfly

REPLY:What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 3 of 33 (594 Views)

Dear John,

I agree!  Happy wife, happy life.😁

johninnevada wrote:

I am 82 and my wife is 81. We both live a very active life, my wife swims 3 times a week and I still work 2 - 8 hour shifts per week as well as volunteer at the local high school every Friday.

I strongly believe that a good marriage is the key to longevity. If you have Stess at work you can come home and forget about it, but if you have stress in your Marriage you live with it 24/7. Stress will eventually be your demise. 

JohninNevada

Info Seeker

Re: re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 4 of 33 (792 Views)

Kudos to you.  Your account is really an outstanding synopsis of how to be there for all of our very valuable people.  After reading what you do for these seniors, it is refreshing to know that there are still people like you who really care.  Thank you for all that you do and for your positive inspiration!

Donald Howarth
Conversationalist

Re: re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 5 of 33 (2,161 Views)

Agree about good genes. When I was born our family made local history in the Hanover/York, PA area by having a photo taken of our double-fifth generation family members. In that photo, I was held by my great-great grandmother; I remember when I was about 8 or 9, she died at age 110. Generally, the males in my family have lived to be in their late 80's to mid-90's and females, on average passed away at mid-90's to 100+. 

What I do now is exercise and walk 3-6 miles daily, enjoy time with my wife and family, keep active as an international consultant, stay away from prescription meds (now at 70, I've never in my life taken any prescription meds long-term), and importantly, my wife and I eat healthy (essentially a ketogenic diet). Be optimistic, be happy, laugh, and every day express gratitude. 

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 33 (2,670 Views)

My observation:   The things that matter most in longevity aren't things....   Mental health is important and that has a lot to do with emotions.   It's important, also, to be in a supportive environment and to feel comfortable in the situation.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 33 (2,948 Views)

HEALTH
Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being

Scientific American

psyllium (from Nut from India)

makes that possible.  Duke University told me in 1993 I had the cleanest colon they had ever seen. Look at stool. If what you see is the size of a pencil instead of as large as a banana at lest the walls of your colon are packed with a hard, often black wall that was not fully digested...this vitinams and other valuable chemicals cannot teach your body and you will have toxins that can kill you.

Second, I gave an Energy Drink that I have had daily for 37 years. It has a cup and half of Crandberry Juice, small cup of blueberries among with half a cup of Whole Organic Milk with a small bottle of Ginsing extractum one heaping teaspoon of Earthrise Spirulina (blue-green algae) 1 plastic cup from Protien bag full of Psyllium. Also that cup filled with Vanilla Muscle Milk etc.rtc. That will get you to ninety and I should add

1. I just drove my Lexis 2005 with 75,000 miles on the Odometer from Escondido, California and had a great time to Holly Lake Ranch, Texas. 2. Qualified at shooting range with others to get License to Carry Handgun 3. Widowed but fully functioning as well as when Fifty were I interesting in Marryimg again.  4. Considering giving lecture in China on Addiction which would be my 69th trip to China since being involved with President Nixon's Normalization process.

5. Prayer is important.

So this is introduction. 😀🙏

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 33 (3,052 Views)
I agree completely!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 33 (3,207 Views)

For me, being at peace and putting things that happen in perspective. How important is it?  Is being right important if it costs you your peace  Keep moving. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.  Drink plenty of water.  Every part of the body needs water.  The only real peace comes from having a relationship with the Lord. Take your problems to God. He always has the solution to all your problems and concerns and will never leave you or forsake you or stop loving you.

Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 33 (3,231 Views)

My aunt made peanut brittle on the day she died.  For some reason, that has always stuck with me.