Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: TREASURES IN YOUR HOUSE!

Message 1 of 14 (189 Views)

You sound as though you had put much work into finding values for your items.  I appreciate you sharing with me!  I will be doing research on this and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again...Sher

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 14 (190 Views)

Very good idea Dave...I will act on it soon.  Let's keep in touch and I will let you know if I learn of anything to benefit others too!

Sher

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 14 (277 Views)

Sherri
As for the Hummel items your library should have books about the Hummel's values. These are a good estimate. If any of them say Germany on the bottom tha they were made Pre-WWII and should be fairly valuable. Some of the others items you can check at a good antique shops and get an idea.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 14 (286 Views)

Regarding the Hummel figuries.  When our mother died severl years ago, whiel my brother and I went through the house to clear out the accumulation the family had built up over 50 years in the same house, we discovered she had quite a few Hummels and these were from the late 1950' to the mid 1960's.  We thought these'd be somewhat valuable but research on line and at antique shops, we found out most of them were realtively common and not worth a lot of money.  We ended up posting them on Craig's List and sold them to a collector who responded to our posting.  I got the average value by checking E-Bay and got average prices these might be worth.  It never hurts to check the vaklue of whatever you've got as there are people who collect some of the most unusual stuff. Better knowledgeable than sorry.  With extremely valuable items, jewellery, art, antiques, it never hurts to go to the 'free appraisal' day many auction houses have peroidically to uncover valuable items so you get an idea of what you've got.  This is a double whammy: the auction house gets items for upcoming auctions and the owner gets a reliable way to get rid of things they've contemplated selling.  An auction, even with the 'auctioneers fee' is usually a safe and reliable way to get rid of things like this.  With on line postings, having strangers come to your hme is risky and a hassle.  This coming from experience!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 14 (384 Views)

Thank you very much for the information about the auctions and web sites.   I will be doing research using the tools you gave me.  Much appreciated!!!

Sherri

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 14 (402 Views)

@s873579h

For valuations of antiques, google Kovel's or go to a library and pick up a Kovels Guide to Antiques.

if you have a mart phone you could download an app called Tapatalk also works on PC's and subscribe it free to one of many antique forums.

For an approximate value of your items. Your Hummel will generally have information as to when they were made on the bottom.

Pictures always help with pricing objects if widely separated from appraiser in distance.

Auctions aren't always what they might seem, been reamed a couple of times. Sometimes local antique dealers are better than auction houses.

For extremely valuable items, like some guns, paintings, furniture, etc. Skinners can be found with a google search, believe they're nationwide and HQ in Boston.

Froze

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 14 (578 Views)

I found a $100 bill on the street walking my dog once.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 14 (607 Views)

Recently we sold a home for a parent.  The home was built in 1820 and was used during the times when the "Underground RR"was active.  There were so many interesting old items in a crawl space, basement, and above the garage.  Items included pictures, Hummel figurines, old farm implements,ect.

How do I find out the value of these items?  I would like to either have them valued or find an auctioneer.  Ideas???

Sherri

Gold Conversationalist

re: TREASURES IN YOUR HOUSE!

Message 9 of 14 (816 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Pat, I can't say that I have ever lived in a old house and found treasures but that would be quite interesting!  When my boys were little we lived in an apartment and one night when we were sleeping, BATS starting filling up the apartment. The kids and I spent half the night in the bathroom till my husband came home.  But, I know this isn't the kind of treasures you were hoping for! LOL!   I hate BATS just as much as I hate SNAKES!  Scary!!

Linda 

Linda I hate them too, and whenever we used to go tent camping those are two things I was on the look out for bats and snakes!

Silver Conversationalist

re: TREASURES IN YOUR HOUSE!

Message 10 of 14 (816 Views)
In Response to TREASURES IN YOUR HOUSE!:

I love to watch HGTV and one
show in particular.  It's called If Walls Could Talk. 
Owners of old houses will be tearing out walls or checking out
the attics and find the most amazing things hidden in their new
homes, old letters, photos and many more.

Our house is over seventy
years old but we never found anything exciting in it.  How
about you, do you have an old house that you repaired and found treasure?

Hi Pat, I can't say that I have ever lived in a old house and found treasures but that would be quite interesting!  When my boys were little we lived in an apartment and one night when we were sleeping, BATS starting filling up the apartment. The kids and I spent half the night in the bathroom till my husband came home.  But, I know this isn't the kind of treasures you were hoping for! LOL!   I hate BATS just as much as I hate SNAKES!  Scary!!

Linda