Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Conversationalist

Stopped by for a Visit.

Have a great day!Have a great day!It has been a very long time since I have visited. I doubt I even know anyone here anymore, except for Dave. I migrated to Facebook some years ago, and with a busy work schedule, quit visiting all social networks except for Facebook. Well, with an addiction to Facebook and so much going on, political and what not, I have deactivated my Facebook account. I live in ND in the heart of the No Daple Protesting. Well, without much censoring, I tired of all the evil and lies I was exposing myself to. Actually, if  you believe in God, and understand what conviction is... well my conviction was I needed to leave Facebook. But I miss it terribly. So today, I am saying "hi"  here. I started back in 2008.  Things have changed so much, and I am trying to find my way around. Now on my IPad verses my computer, so once again another learning session. Peggy

PJ
Honored Social Butterfly

@GREYGRAMA Good morning to you! Wishing you a Joyous and Happy New Year from all of us on The Front Porch!

2AE8PBH.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@GREYGRAMA Stopping In to see how things are going in your neighborhood. How much snow are you seeing from your Front Porch? Just rain,  cold and windy here!

Stay safe 

Dave

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi Peggy 

Good to here from you again and hoping things are going well for you in Bismarck these days. I am still around here and on Facebook as we are able to keep up with family here in Madison, Milwaukee and on the West Coast. Also here with some of my high school friends. 

I have un-followed a few because of the political climate.

We have some new posters and some have dropped out for various reasons. Sorry to say I think some have had health issues. 

The new system was a part of some leaving but many stayed on. 

Hope to hear more from you

Dave

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Hi Dave, I guess we are in that age, one never knows! I will miss my old AARP friends that I kept in contact on Facebook. Some I have their emails, but it just isn't the same. Seems like you don't really feel like sending an email for a one liner like you would on Facebook. 

My husband retired this past July, I have a year to go for Medicare. So we will see how it goes...I may wait till full retirement. It has been an adjustment. But he is now the main cook, seriously, it was hard to give up my kitchen. But coming home to dinner is a plus. 

PJ
Bronze Conversationalist

@GREYGRAMA 

I just saw this and thought I'd add my thought.

Glad you're happy being off of Facebook, and I'm still happy on it. Why?

I like seeing what the people I worked with for many years are doing, but I don't feel like calling and chatting, so FB lets me know.

There are funny posts that make me bellow with laughter at times, provocative political posts that get me thinking, and then I skip over here to see what the thoughts are.

FB is not a serious undertaking for me, and my family is not on it, but I get what I want out of it.

I've never considered tweeting, and after seeing what some people tweet and/or how often, I feel that my original decision not to is still right for me.

I like coming on here and learning about many of you now, and I had not been doing so until recently.

Sir Granny Tracy
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi Peggy,

I doubt we ever met, as I have been here at AARP for a couple years, sporadically at that. I also felt it a good and life affirming thing to do to walk away from Facebook, which I did some 3 years ago. 🙂 Nowadays I use my Twitter as a newsfeed (I refuse to get drawn back into it! Anyone who follows me gets blocked!) and chat with fellow recumbent cyclists on a pair of forums just for us, but that and this are it. So I hear ya, big time.

Epster, in Colorado

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Epster,

Nice to meet you. So after 3 years, you never went back! It's encouraging to know someone else felt they needed to leave Facebook. I am not alone! I kidded myself for sometime it was a great way to keep in touch with family, but it was all so Superficial. If we didn't keep in touch before Facebook, I doubt we will keep in touch after Facebook. I have always enjoyed correspondence, I married at 18 and left my home state of Montana.  I tried very hard to keep in touch with family and friends, and over time it just became less and less, to the once a year Christmas  card. So it goes...

PJ
Honored Social Butterfly

@GREYGRAMA wrote:

Epster,

Nice to meet you. So after 3 years, you never went back! It's encouraging to know someone else felt they needed to leave Facebook. I am not alone! I kidded myself for sometime it was a great way to keep in touch with family, but it was all so Superficial.

@GREYGRAMA Montana and North Dakota are both lovely states. Once we actually retire (we're still in our 50s) we plan to roam all over the west and are thinking we'll either summer in Idaho or Montana.

Yeah, I was pretty fed up with Facebook --for the reasons you mention-- and left there like a prisoner freed! 

Good to meet you. 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP