How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! JULY-AUGUST

Message 1 of 123 (6 Views)

@Epster  Thanks, good to know how to do it.  I'll probably be staying in for a while anyway.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 123 (7 Views)

Hi everyone,

All in all I must pronounce this summer better than the last one, weatherwise.  We did hit 93 yesterday but mostly we hover around high 80s & low 90s.  My mom is having cataract surgery next Tuesday and I will be glad to get that behind me.  Too much running around in the heat for this & that having to do with the surgery!  The pleasures of an ordinary day consist of chores and more chores  and then a bit of relaxation w/ Acorn TV & a bit of reading.  Sounds dull doesnt it? 

vita umbratilis

Message 3 of 123 (8 Views)

Good morning all....sunshine so far around here. I just put the AC on for a while to take out some of the humidity. 

Ever had a sports injury?  How 'bout one from playing ping pong.  Well I had just a bit of pain in my knee for about a week. Then I went to get up off the couch on Tuesday, and ping went something in my knee. Now I have a torn meniscus. **bleep** but that hurts enough to bring on the tears.

So then it was off to the doctor. 

Now I'm hurting and finding out just how difficult life can be in a wheelchair. Try wheeling it with one hand with a cup of coffee in the other and try to get from the kitchen to the dining room without spilling on yourself.

Here's hoping you all are having a pain free day.

Message 4 of 123 (31 Views)

Deadheading, weeding …
pleasant garden day, and then
gullywasher rain.

Big t-storm cell passed
directly overhead as
I prepped dinner.

Dark enough for ya?
Hey, I can’t see past the drive.
Assume valley’s there.

Not one complaint here.
We need rain, even like this.
Huzzbah, Ma Nature!

Scratch the mascara ...Scratch the mascara ...

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 123 (80 Views)

Overcast, some rain
wonderful, wonderful day
to work the gardens.

Nice, it rained last night.
We’ll have to sweat on purpose
So I gotta go.

Cool Day HaikuCool Day Haiku

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 123 (108 Views)

Good morning everyone, took a break because I get so frustrated on this site! Welcome to all the newbies and have fun trying to navigate here! It's been too hot and humid to get much done - even a drive to the grocery store is exhausting. Having a rare medical condition (recent testing discovery) I'm trying to wrap my head around! Being bitten to death by mosquitoes just stepping out to water what hasn't died on me! Too lonely here and can't figure out how to solve that issue - people here can't really handle a 65 yr old ex Cali valley girl who speaks her mind! Trying to figure a way to house sit beach houses on the East coast. That would be ideal, paid vacations! Have a great day everyone!!!

Message 7 of 123 (114 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

@Epster   Do you mix them into anything, or just together and rub on your skin?  Are they processed in any way?

Yes, some can be used that way. Here's more info: http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningguides/organicgardening/techniques/HerbsInsectRepellent.aspx

I fill a jar with the herbs, then fill it 'again' (tincture style) with isopropyl alcohol, seal, let sit for at least a month (I know, I know). Then strain, fill a sprayer bottle and use at will. Smiley Happy

You can also try wearing light colored clothing as darker colors are said to attract mosquitos.

Best wishes. 

Message 8 of 123 (120 Views)

@Epster   Do you mix them into anything, or just together and rub on your skin?  Are they processed in any way?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 123 (127 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

@gatorgorilla Hi Pam,I too welcome you back to Front Porch.

As for the garage sale,Carol&Tom thought it was a success,they made around $120. I thought some of the prices were too high. What they didn't sell,Carol made 2 trips to the Salvation Army. Sue

@doglover52  Sue, Thank you for reply and for welcome back!  Pam

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 123 (134 Views)

@JoyaDe  Hear that. Smiley Happy

I put lemon balm, tansy and lavender in my repellent. Our wild rabbits ignore both the tansy and the lemon balm, which are outside. I have the lavender in the greenhouse, partly because of our winters.

EDIT: suddenly I've decided to start spelling repellent with an a. Sun spots?