Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! JULY-AUGUST

Message 71 of 247 (325 Views)

Well, we might not have this much fun today, but some of us are planning to hit the trail on our trikes around daybreak. (hoping to beat the rain)

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 72 of 247 (318 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

@Epster

We did go back to the area for blueberries. I remember my sister and brother being there with me that time. I'm not sure whether it was the same day or later that week. It was a long time ago.

Your plums sound wonderful!  Do you make wine with them, or preserve them in some way?

@JoyaDe Yay! Glad you guys got to enjoy those blueberries. I was lucky enough once to be able to graze wild blueberries while being paid to hang out in the forest on a video shoot. They. Are. Marvelous!

We use our wild plums in a variety of ways. I can chutney and Asian-style plum sauce, plus bake them into muffins. I also make yogurt sauce. Yesterday we ate a bunch out of hand. Yum-my!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 73 of 247 (329 Views)

@Epster

We did go back to the area for blueberries. I remember my sister and brother being there with me that time. I'm not sure whether it was the same day or later that week. It was a long time ago.

Your plums sound wonderful!  Do you make wine with them, or preserve them in some way?

Message 74 of 247 (330 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

@Epster

Wild plums sound interesting.

I once picked wild blueberries.

There was a bear on the other side of the bush.

I was probably 8 or 10 and I ran like the dickens.

We were at a lake cabin at the time.

My first "wild animal" encounter.

Ski's are grey here this morning. 

It's cool, but no rain as yet. 

Maybe a little later. 

@JoyaDe And what a big wild animal encounter that was! Yowza!  Did you go back for more blueberries later?

We heard from a neighbor that the local bear has been frequenting her compost pile and leaving scat all over her yard. One of her solar lights was brutalized one night. We were wondering if it was letting out a high pitched tone and maybe the bear attacked it to shut it up. Smiley Happy

American plums (AKA wild plums) grow wild all over these foothills. Those on our property were actually planted by a former resident, kinda willy nilly. They planted them on the dry side of the hill, so most of the plums were scrawny and unhealthy. I've cut down about half and encouraged others. Now I have a fenced plum thicket on automated watering and I must say, we are growing some of the  best, biggest, sweetest wild plums ev-ah. Of course the bear knows that too, and my fence, while capable of keeping the deer at bay, is no match for him. Thus my dusk dash. Smiley Happy

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 75 of 247 (330 Views)

@Epster

Wild plums sound interesting.

I once picked wild blueberries.

There was a bear on the other side of the bush.

I was probably 8 or 10 and I ran like the dickens.

We were at a lake cabin at the time.

My first "wild animal" encounter.

Ski's are grey here this morning. 

It's cool, but no rain as yet. 

Maybe a little later. 

Message 76 of 247 (329 Views)

Big rain, bigger wind
late this afternoon, they say.
Mostly clear skies ’til.

My daily plum dash:
pick ripe fruit between sundown
wind or bear harvest.

Bonus: first ripe grapes
during last nights picking fest!
Many more to come.

What are wild plums?

Message 77 of 247 (331 Views)

Good morning everyone! Turned out to be a nice morning for golf and the skies cleared for a while. Still looking for some rain today for Mary's flowers.

FB_IMG_1498879153115.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper

Message 78 of 247 (336 Views)

Ahhhh, that’s nice: sun, clouds
Mild temps continue, all’s well.
My world is lovely.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 247 (336 Views)

@DaveMcK  Glad to see you having fun.   

Very crummy weather here in Georgia.  Humid, about 90 % today & close to 90.  I get very impatient for fall this time of year.

I posted about my mom having cataract surgery 2 years ago & how easy it was. Not so for the other which was operated on 13 days ago.  I am not sure when we will be out of the woods.  So I am not having any fun right now!

vita umbratilis

[ Edited ]
Message 80 of 247 (362 Views)

Cows, Ferris wheel model for outdoor artists in Wisconsin State Fair's plein air contest

Kristin Gjerdset, 849, of West Allis sat on the ground in the Wisconsin State Fair’s House of Moo, staring intently at a cow resting before her. On her lap, she balanced a canvas; in her hand, a small paintbrush.

It was as if everything else in the world had fallen away. The bustle of a fairground the size of a small city. The heat. The rush for fried-whatever-on-a-stick.
Sarah Hill, 37, of Reedsburg, paints during the plein air competition at Wisconsin State Fair.
Devi Shastri

Around her, fairgoers milled about. Children noticed her and sidled up to peek at her work, before their parents nudged them to move along. House of Moo workers tried to sweep up the dirt and hay around Gjerdset the best they could, though the artist did not seem to mind.

“Some people stand, but I’m a sitter,” she said. To her left, colored pencils and paints, on her right, a stuffed purple backpack from which a small green flag featuring a painter’s palette and brush protruded. 

It was hard to tell that Gjerdset was on a deadline. She had become lost in a dark birthmark near the cow’s left hind leg, a disruption in its otherwise cream-colored hide.

Across the fairgrounds, 29 other artists dotted the landscape Monday, setting up shop with their little flags on display. They painted and drew from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the open. It’s called plein air painting, French for “open air.” Everything the competitors do must be on scene and within the time frame of the contest

Some arrive in the morning to work all day. Others wait for the fair to light up at night. An ambitious few do both. Then, they frame their submissions for judges, who select winners in five categories, including Best Dairy Animal and Best Fair Landmark. 

Artist Judith Reidy painted the WonderFair Wheel in both day and night light for her entries in the ...more
Devi Shastri

A block south of Gjerdset, Judith Reidy of Hales Corners held her breath as she painted the massive arc of the WonderFair Wheel with a thin brush. Inch by inch, she worked her way around, stopping to sigh in relief and start again. 

It was past 4 p.m. Reidy had started working at 10 that morning. She planned to stay late, so she could paint the same scene in the night lights.

Many competitors paint two pieces on the first day, and a “quick paint” on a smaller canvas for the second day of competition. The quick-paint competition lasts only two hours. Then the art is up for sale to fairgoers. The artists ages range from 17 to 75, said Larry Schultz, contest superintendent.

Across the fair to the east, Wendie Thompson, 63, challenged herself. She stood with her pop-up easel and case of pastels beside the loading area for the sky glider, watching people jump on and off the ride.

She sketched a rough outline as riders hopped off the glider’s seats, hustling to get out of the still-moving ride’s way. As the chairs moved in and out of the shadows, Thompson’s scene changed, second-by-second. Green in the sun and green in the shadows were completely different. But Thompson has years of experience.

Check out videos:

http://www.jsonline.com/videos/entertainment/festivals/state-fair/2017/08/07/2017-wisconsin-state-fa...

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper