Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! JULY-AUGUST

Message 51 of 247 (226 Views)

Could it be so? Please?
Today’s mildness to be high
temp for rest of year?

A mild September
might cause me to cherish it
over favored Oct!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 52 of 247 (199 Views)

@JoyaDe  That's some serious humidity! Yeowza!

Didja get to see any images of the eclipse? Here's a thread here with a few images: http://community.aarp.org/t5/Random-Thoughts-and/Did-Anyone-Go-See-the-Eclipse/m-p/1897949

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 247 (221 Views)

@Frozenoem  Looking forward to the doggy news the next few days.

Yes, I saw the eclipse!!  I was not prepared, did not obtain glasses.  I happened to be at the senior center and many of the people had glasses and they passed them around.  The shadows cast by the tree leaves were strange!  I became quite giddy.  Made my day.

vita umbratilis

Message 54 of 247 (233 Views)

Tansy and primrose
stand five feet tall in the garden,
currant leaves turn red.

Sunflowers begin
to dry, arnica to seed:
Goldfinches come soon.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 247 (289 Views)

The rain quit for a couple days, but it was so humid, even without the rain we couldn't cut grass until yesterday evening. It was just too wet.

Now the humidity is down and the temp will be going up again. We still need some summer weather, so I'm not planning to complain. 

I may just watch the eclipse on TV. I really don't have the special glasses, so maybe I can use a pin hole deal. With as many trees as I have around my house, I may not have a good view of the sun at the right time. 

Maybe I'll catch the one in 2024.  

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 247 (287 Views)

Happy Eclipse Day!

Hope everyone gets to see it safely. If you did get the special glasses, make sure they have the certified number.

You need to know that they meet the ISO 12312-2 (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015) international safety standard. Filters that are ISO 12312-2 compliant not only reduce visible sunlight to safe and comfortable levels but also block solar UV and IR radiation.

As for me, I'm just using a colander to project the shadow if we don't cloud over and ruin the whole thing.

Found my 1991 tee shirt from the total eclipse in Hawaii. We were there (on Kauai) and actually saw it better than the folks on the big island who had planned way in advance and booked all the hotel rooms for the event. Seems there was a weather event and those people couldn't see it as well as we did, and we hadn't even considered the eclipse when planning our vacay. When we had gone to the travel agent to plan the trip she told us that there was no way we could stay on the big island because rooms had been booked for ages. We looked at her like she was from outer space. Eclipse? Huh? No big deal for us, but we ended up enjoying all the hullabaloo. We used a pinhole in a piece of cardboard to project. While standing on the beach some man loaned us his glasses so we could take a peek. The shadows on my husband's shirt were very interesting. N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 57 of 247 (285 Views)

64* up at 6 am someone began dancing, no accidents -yeah! Velociraptor cool that works on spell checker.

we won't mention what was found in I thought puppy proofed home. Not it's watch for signals, drink coffee and wait for stores to open my standby training treats are bricks, slightly expired.

oh yes, bad gps took my girl from Maine 1 hour away to Mass and back to Maine, time of arrival 6 pm vs 9 am.

Time to move she can't sleep if I can't.

Froze

Message 58 of 247 (285 Views)

Complaining legs, ours,
still we pedaled up the steep
hill and raced into wind.

12 miles later legs
stopped complaining, no pain
no gain, as they say.

100 uphill
miles in two 90 degree
days is plenty tough.

Beforehand there was
pasta. Afterward, there was
beer. Then snoring sounds.

Dreaming of predominantly downhill routes, no doubt.Dreaming of predominantly downhill routes, no doubt.

Message 59 of 247 (288 Views)

@Frozenoem Yikes!  Fingers crossed for you both. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 247 (283 Views)

Will attempt as soon as I discover just where the heck my dog is.

Received call she was in town an hour ago, in front of the bank. Don't know where the bank is but, it isn't here.

Now trying to discover where here is, Google maps doesn't always work apparently.

Froze