Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! JULY-AUGUST

Message 31 of 247 (244 Views)

Texas is in my mind and my prayers again this morning. 

I have family there. From the maps I've looked at, my kids should be okay.

She has posted on Facebook that they are safe, so I'll call there later this morning.

They are in Beach City on a bay, that isn't right in the heart of the storm.

My son is a first responder, so he's probably out helping somewhere. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 247 (241 Views)

@GREYGRAMA  Goodness you have energy to do projects so late in the day?  I become lazy after 2PM!!  Good for you getting all that done.  

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 33 of 247 (234 Views)

It is very hard for Mary and I to watch the coverage of the hurricane in South Texas! Purticurly in the Galveston area as we spent a week there in the fall of 2014. I remember walking around the downtown area looking at the high water marks on the buildings downtown from hurricane Ike. The railroad museum is most likely under water again. If I were 20 years younger I would go to help restore the museum. 

Harvey is the first Texas landfalling hurricane in almost nine years, since infamous Hurricane Ike devastated the Upper Texas coast. Harvey made landfall on the evening of Aug. 25 near Rockport, Texas with winds of 130 mph. 

(MORE: Latest Harvey Forecast)

Hurricane Ike slammed ashore near Galveston, Texas, as a Category 2 hurricane in the early-morning hours of Sept. 13, 2008 – the last time a hurricane made landfall in the Lone Star State.

A total of 15 hurricanes have made landfall in Texas since 1950, according to NOAA's Historical Hurricane Tracks database.

Only four of those landfalls have occurred this century: Claudette in July 2003, Humberto in September 2007, Dolly in July 2008 and Ike in September 2008. While striking the upper Texas coast, Rita in 2005 officially landfell in Louisiana.)

Parts of the Texas coast have the longest return intervals – the average number of years between occurrences – for hurricanes anywhere along the Gulf Coast, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricanes typically hit coastal Texas every 9 years or longer, though some coastal Texas counties have a return period approaching 20 years.

FB_IMG_1503846728649.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 34 of 247 (223 Views)

@LaDolceVita

She came from shelter pre-named - Chevron, no!

Chevy, no!

Chel or Chelli maybe?

Or perhaps Cell 

still a work/puppy in progress, just a tall one.Puppy??Puppy??Sorry on phone, can't rotate at moment could be 3 hours sleep.

Nor can I delete one standing upon head for another.

Froze 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 247 (219 Views)

Praying for those affected by "Harvey"

I have not stuck my nose out to check the weather today, but I am safe from any weather's fury.

I know there is sunshine peeking rays in the windows.

As I resorted to a night owl last night, and went to bed at 4:18 AM, following a night of project time.

I slept int his morning till after 9:00. My body tells me, shame on you, as I am full of aches and pains this morning.

I smell the scent of bacon, my husband is making brunch.

My projects lead me to the far distant corner of the basement, a windowless room, once considered the junk room and before that our oldest daughter's bedroom; now converted to my storage, sewing, ironing and craft room. I set up a space for my laptop, which hadn't been used much, replaced by IPhone and IPad. Now it is pretty handy here in my sewing room. I even set up a printer.

I came down to vacuum, as the room is under our bedroom and I didn't want to vacuum at 4 this morning after finsihed cleaning up for fear of waking husband, or setting Max (dog) into a fury of barking which would wake hubby, even if the vacuuming would not.

Happy Sunday, ave a great day!

PJ

[ Edited ]
Message 36 of 247 (234 Views)

Harvey is really having his way with Houston.  I can imagine fleeing New Orleans, moving to Houston like so many did and now facing the floods there.  

We are moving into an early fall.  Still a bit humid but lots of leaves on the ground, the light at the end of the day has shifted & the temps are moderate, mid 80s.  

@doglover52 This weather puts me in the moood for a fall festival for sure!

@Frozenoem Does the puppy have a name yet? 

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 247 (233 Views)

Partly cloudy sky
warm dry, away from Harvey.
Praying for Texas.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 247 (248 Views)

55* might hit 70, think Autumn might be coming, if the geese are a sign.

Shucks back to puppy patrol,and coffee and repeated no's.

Froze

Message 39 of 247 (237 Views)

@doglover52, That sounds like fun, Sue. Let us know if you find something special! Enjoy this great weather. We are blessed with it also. It's more like Fall than Summer. N.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 40 of 247 (243 Views)

Hello all,it was a tad nippy when I went on my early morning walk at 7,it was 49 but refreshing.

Today and Sunday is the 10th annual Elmwood Arts Festival which show cases mostly local artists/vendors from WNY.I prefer this one because its smaller in size,starts at the end of my street,goes for 5 blocks.I usually do a walk about to check out the different artists,then go back if something catches my eye. It gets really crowded by noon.

Its going to be perfect weather ,sunny in the mid 70's

Eveybody your weekend Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides