Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Favorite homemade family food

Message 1 of 6

Succotash and fried tomatoes!  Talk about GOOD EATING!

Fey Lady
Report Inappropriate Content
Silver Conversationalist

Message 2 of 6

image.jpegOur parents was from south sherfield Alabama our left first with her mother 1930because their father died and our father left after his parents died Sam year and came to Chicago they started to date and 1946 they got marry they stay in Chicago and have my siblings and the baby girl I'm the last child they taught us how to cook southern foods and grill . Our family Love to BBQ and Grill . Our favorite homemade meals Ribs and burgers. homemade Cole slaw and banana pudding and for Christmas homemade egg nog in a puch bowl or mason jar

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

My mother was a good cook but never had a special thing that she cooked, but my first mother-in-law had a dish that I loved, much to my surprise.  Her special dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas was Scolloped Oysters.  It was very simple to make, using layers of fresh oysters, saltine crackers crumbled and melted butter poured over the entire thing.  It was baked until it formed a brown crust on top.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

My favorie homemade family food is garlic mashed potatoes.  My sons loved this when they were growing up, and now my older son, who lives in the same city that I do, still asks for it for Thanksgiving dinner.  In fact, he used to make it at his home and bring it, but now I make it.  Here's our recipe, but it can be modified to suit your taste:

Ingredients: Potatoes, garlic cloves, milk, butter, salt and pepper.

Skin large potatoes, and then cut the potatos into about 1" chunks.  Boil until soft. Drain and mash.  Add garlic cloves which have been minced.  Add butter and milk and mash together.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.  Keep warm until ready to serve.  If you have leftovers, they can be made into patties the next day and gently fried in olive oil.  They're delicious no matter how you eat them.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

I was really thinking this topic would draw some replies.

My next favorite family food was started by my mother and her pies. In the early years she made the with lard. Then switched to cooking and with out telling us she used a Pillsbury mix. Her pies were easily county fair blueribbon quality pies. She made them with many types of fillings from apple to blackberry, lemon meringue, cherry and my favorite green tomato mincemeat. Mary, my sister Diane and our oldest daughter Michelle have become the pie makers over the years.

173da066-c6b4-45dd-9b28-0d459cf6f169.jpgexps32523_BTOH1600957D145A_RMS.jpg1371589402748.jpeg1382541008033.jpegf723bab9-46ff-4b0e-8c5c-acb00ddee495.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Treasured Social Butterfly

Favorite homemade family food

Message 6 of 6

I am going to feature a family food that comes to us from both Mary's and my bother-in-laws family heritage. My sister Diane makes her own. Rick's family buys theirs.

My niece Amy's photo of her mom showing her "how to make lefse today so I can pass the Myrah family tradition on down to our kiddos ❤️. Hooray for fresh lefse!!!!"

FB_IMG_1511902922851.jpg

Please tell us about one of your families favorite holiday food. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper