Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Coffee !

I've been all over these forums & can't find the 'right forum', so mybe i'll find an answer on the front porch ?  Smiley Very Happy

I have 2 cans of 'cheapie' coffee ; tried mixing them so they would be more flavorful, but not-so-much did it work. Might buy a more spendy brand & mix them, but in meantime, anyone have any ideas on how to make these cheap brands taste better ?

Thanks !

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

I used a French press a lot when hotels had the 4 cup filter packets I would bring home. I will have to check out the dried mushrooms at the spice store. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK wrote:

I used a French press a lot when hotels had the 4 cup filter packets I would bring home. I will have to check out the dried mushrooms at the spice store. 

@DaveMcK You are in good company on the French press; I noticed while watching Captain America, Civil War last night that Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr) was preparing a pot of French press in one scene. ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Fellow Cafรจ Drinkers, I do the instant but luv reading all your posts ๐Ÿ™‚ Question, have any of your traveled and tasted coffee in other countries? Hmmm, I wonder what German coffee tastes like? Probably strong. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  I was stationed in Germany in 1969 but didn't drink coffee at that time! However, we did travel to Puerto Rico and Costa Rica which have some very interesting coffees. Costa Rican Peaberry is my favorite coffee and is available here in Wisconsin. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @DaveMcK I will check to see if I can find some here in Virginia. I hope to find a tiny cottage soon so that I can set up a coffee maker. Lol, my studio apartment is like a Tiny Home. My small microwave hogs my counter top. I need it as I refuse to use the small gas stove. Scared of gas.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DaveMcK@Epster

Oh yum, love mushrooms. That looks so yummy!  

PJ
Honored Social Butterfly

@GREYGRAMA wrote:

@DaveMcK@Epster

Oh yum, love mushrooms. That looks so yummy!  

I'll let you know how it goes. I might try some (the homemade version at least) this week. Say, Thursday. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Heads up: I have a crew here this morning and have been barred from my kitchen, but have just managed to get started on the French press with porcini mushroom coffee. I added 6 half inch chunks of dried porcini, a bit of fresh ground nutmeg, a dash of cinnamon, some Pero and some French Market with chicory. This should result in a full bodied, rich and earthy brew.

We'll likely try it without sugar but with a bit of 1% milk ... I'll let you know what we all think. (This may result in me being barred from the kitchen all weekend ... ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Honored Social Butterfly

OK. We've each sipped some of this wild porcini, Pero, French Market java and here are our findings:

"Oooh, smells like mushrooms!"

"Tastes like a good French press. I can't taste the nutmeg or cinnamon, but the dried porcini flavor is there."

"Good stuff! I want more."

"Meh, just OK. Nothing really great."

Next time I'll break up the porcini a bit more, for I think an even stronger mushroom flavor might wow our doubter. (French press coffee isn't brewed Mr Coffee style, see, the coffee ingredients are put into the bottom of the pot, then nearly-boiling water is added, and the lid placed on the pot, the mixture allowed to brew a few minutes, and then the plunger pressed down. Smaller mushroom pieces will likely release more flavor in that scenario.)

So there you have it. Mushrooms add nice aroma and flavor to coffee.

Mad science. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster I will save my mushrooms for things like the shrimp and mushroom stir fry I had last night. Love them on salads or with sautรฉed onions on my steak. Oh yes, on my pizza! Than there is Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella.

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK Yum! That looks delectable! Can you FAX one of those? (The calorie-free ediition :))

Yeah, I'm not certain imma gonna be able to tell you guys mushroom coffee is da bomb, but I'm going to work up my moxie and try a wee spot of wild porcini French press. One of these days. Not today. Right now the snow-laden mountains are whispering sweet nothings involving snowshoes...

๐Ÿ™‚

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Coffee 

Honored Social Butterfly

This just crossed my Twitter feed. The comment is from a wild food chef. I don't think I'll be trying this particular mushroom coffee, though I might slip a piece of dried porcini into the next pot of French press. What do you guys think?

mushroom coffee.png

Gold Conversationalist

COFFEE.gifI'll definitely pass. Why mess up a good thing?

@Epster wrote:

This just crossed my Twitter feed. The comment is from a wild food chef. I don't think I'll be trying this particular mushroom coffee, though I might slip a piece of dried porcini into the next pot of French press. What do you guys think?

mushroom coffee.png

Bronze Conversationalist

Mushrooms......  : Ugh !

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 wrote:

Mushrooms......  : Ugh !

So that's a no, eh? ๐Ÿ™‚

Bronze Conversationalist

Good morning to everyone on this site ! Drink up...morning cup of joe, that is.

Have a good weekend !  Smiley Happy

Sandee2
Bronze Conversationalist

Ok ! Everybody listen up.....I bought a bag of coffee to mix it with whatever I have.

Now we can all sleep easier at night. ( if we don't drink too much coffee )  Heart

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 wrote:

Ok ! Everybody listen up.....I bought a bag of coffee to mix it with whatever I have.

Now we can all sleep easier at night. ( if we don't drink too much coffee )  Heart

Whew! Tragedy narrowly averted. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy your coffee (on the morrow, not tonight!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Gold Conversationalist

I'll drink to that DAVE!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 First off "life is to short not to drink good coffee". That said just what is good coffee? Experimenting is the best and easiest way to find what is best for you. First off stay away from preground coffees in a plastic can. I grind our coffee every day. I blend our whole bean coffee with part decaf and regular as we both have blood pressure issues. 

Coffee Bean Varieties

Do you know beans about coffee? 

There are two main species of coffee beans in the world, Coffee Arabica, and Coffee Robusta.  More than three-quarters of the beans that are sold in the world today are Coffea Arabica, the majority of the remainding bulk are Coffea Robusta also known as Coffea Canephora.

Coffee Robusta:
These beans are of a lower grade than Arabica, and are typically grown at lower elevations. They are easier to grow and maintain, and they are also more disease resistant and produce a higher yield.  Robusta beans have more of an astringent flavor and contain a higher amount of caffeine.

Coffee Arabica:
These are the higher quality beans and are referred to as gourmet coffee. They have half the amount of caffeine as Robusta and have more pleasing flavours and aromatic properties. Most Arabica bean varieties are name after their country or region in which they are found, or originated from. These are my favorite beans. I'm a big fan of Costa Rican Arabic coffee which is available at World Market in a 24oz whole bean bag @ $9.99 a bag.

Other bean species include: benghalensis, Bengal coffee; Coffea congensis, Congo coffee; Coffea liberica, Liberian coffee; Coffea stenophylla, Sierra Leonian coffee; Coffea excelsia, another Liberian coffee; Coffea bonnieri; Coffea gallienii; and Coffea mogeneti, however these beans are non-existent in the export market.

My recommendation is to expereperiment and buy a coffee grinder.

Good luck and enjoy. 

Bronze Conversationalist

I do have a coffee grinder...why did I forget it ?  Woman Wink

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

Sandee,

If still trying for bang out of cheap beans roast a little more in oven.

Or add good beans to mix.

Or if you have pre-ground, merely add pilon coffee ground or beans.

You did say you have a grinder.

Now, itโ€™s back to that pesky Kopi Luwak, for me. I think itโ€™s a bribe for hard drive recovery quickly.๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Coarse grind cheap stuff and try to pickups toddy from Toddycafe.com or read my post today.

Peruse their website and *.pdf for recipes of coffee happiness. Or if your like me for frugality and those aw shucks moments when you needed coffee an broke this, that  or something else.

Old filter basket, filter or cheesecloth and steep away. .๐Ÿ˜‡

Arabica is good stuff to me.

Donโ€™t tell my coffeebroker, I like a little more than โ€œKopi Luwakโ€.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

If my description is not the greatest on cold brew coffee, try the videos on blackriflecoffee.com

besides theyโ€™re veteran owned. 

Cold brew delivers around the same punch of an expresso without the joy of acid issues.

Also have some cool recipes for drinks and desserts. Fudge sickles called to me earlier.

I admit I have a coffee drinking problem, but itโ€™s so good๐Ÿ‘.

Maine mountains hit 100* in the blasted shade of North Side Of House hot coffee after temp hit 90* didnโ€™t happen, happiness was acquired with triple iced, made with 3x coffee cubes - wakes wakey๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

Recognized Social Butterfly

I froze some coffee  cubes also today. Just to ๐Ÿ”ฅ  to take the ๐Ÿถ out. Thankgoodness for ๐Ÿถ ๐Ÿ“บ. They ๐Ÿ˜ it!.  But,  I have to walk the ๐Ÿถ,  so stay say and ๐Ÿ˜Ž... Nancy 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 I have one too, but use it for herbs and flax. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for ME AND MY COFFEE IMAGE"

Honored Social Butterfly

you can do it.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 wrote:

I've been all over these forums & can't find the 'right forum', so mybe i'll find an answer on the front porch ?  Smiley Very Happy

I have 2 cans of 'cheapie' coffee ; tried mixing them so they would be more flavorful, but not-so-much did it work. Might buy a more spendy brand & mix them, but in meantime, anyone have any ideas on how to make these cheap brands taste better ?

Thanks !

@ss11943859 Hi Sandee,

Yes I do! You can brew the coffee a little stronger and add cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla. I've added each of those things. Or ... some people I know put hot sauce in their coffee. Others put in whiskey. I'm not one of those people, thus I'm not gonna stand behind those last two additives, but you might try them.  Or buy some French Market brand with chicory and add a bit of that into the mix. Or cook the cheap stuff camp style (boil the grounds and then strain) or try the French press method.

Bias alert: by better tasting I assumed you meant you wanted a more full bodied coffee experience. I drink strong coffee, so ...  ๐Ÿ™‚

French press coffee maker equals divine javaFrench press coffee maker equals divine java

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP