Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! MARCH-APRIL

[ Edited ]
Message 241 of 328 (160 Views)

@LaDolceVita, @Frozenoem - Sorry I didn't respond faster; lost my internet connection yesterday morning, and was still out after 3 hours on the phone with my service provider! They said I should try replacing the modem, but the store was closed yesterday .. so I was offline. I turned it on this morning .. and everything's normal .. at least for now!

I had a nice time at the play Saturday, but was disappointed in the steak I had for dinner .. won't go back there again!

I use Rain-X on my windows too. Since my car wouldn't be out that long in the snow, I don't want to use anything like antifreeze to melt it. Animals taste it & get sick; bad stuff!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 242 of 328 (166 Views)

@DaveMcK Hi Dave,congrats on Wisconsin's upset of #1 seed and defending champ,Villanova,well deserved win.Thanks for including picture of downtown area of my hometown,Buffalo,NY where the 1st two rounds of the NCAA tournament took place over the weekend.

My favorite team,North Carolina squandered a big lead but got past Arkansas.I'm thrilled UNC's rival,Duke lost,its made my day. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 243 of 328 (172 Views)

Well they did get that incredible Colorado Front Range weekend forecast correct. We did see brilliant sunshine and 80F all weekend. It is 50F now, and the sun will not crest our backyard ridge for 3 hours. And they were right about wildfires: one started in the hills west of Boulder in the wee hours of Sunday morning; current theory regarding cause being human. Probably campers. Illegally camped marijuana tourists caused the last wildfire in that general vicinity. Last I knew the wind was whipping the fire to within a mile of the city, and it was 50 percent contained.

I must say despite having gleefully used up every last ounce of that weekend sunshine DH and I are relieved to see that by week's end the temps shall be back to 50s and 60s. There's even a chance of rain, hallelujah!

Today is expected to be breezy and partly cloudy.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 244 of 328 (170 Views)

@GREYGRAMA. Ugh! What a scary ordeal! Thanks for letting us know of your diabetes struggle, so that we can pray for you and hope for the best. Now get out there and enjoy that fabulous western air and sunshine! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 245 of 328 (188 Views)

Yesterday was a great day for Madtown and the Wisconsin Badgers! 

In foul trouble, running out of steam, Wisconsin trailed by seven with just over five minutes to play against Villanova, who began flexing their muscles and showing why only two teams had beaten them all season.

But the Badgers weren't ready for their season to end.

Hayes converted the game-winning layup with 11 seconds remaining. (Photo: Getty)

(8) Wisconsin (27-9) closed on a 15-5 run, highlighted by the go-ahead lay up from senior forward Nigel Hayes with 11 seconds remaining to take down the 1-seed Wildcats (32-4) 65-62 on Saturday.

Knocking off their third No. 1 seed since 2013-14, the Badgers weren't fazed by the defending national champs, who had won eight-straight tournament games before Saturday.

"We played a really great team, great team," Hayes said. "It took a great effort from us, and we're just proud of ourselves for getting the job done."

FB_IMG_1489937800236.jpgFB_IMG_1489872989177.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 246 of 328 (177 Views)

Good Morning Porchers,

The sun is shining brightly, 42 degrees and partly cloudy. Gorgeous Morning.

Morning Sun 03-19-2017Morning Sun 03-19-2017

Back yard snow lingering 03-19-2017Back yard snow lingering 03-19-2017

Although the sun is shining, I have had some pretty grey days. Thursday morning I woke with some pain in my upper left side of my chest. I don't consider this chest pain, the kind you think of when having a heart attack. But it was sharp, stabbing, took you breath away type pain, that came and went. The worst I have experienced in some time. My thoughts were, go to work, or go to convenience clinic. I chose to go to work. Around 11 or so, I started to experience the pain again... and my co-worker, said " Come on, lets go" I replied, "Where are we going?" She said " I am taking you in. " Nope, that is not going to happen. So I called my husband to come and take me to the convenice clinic. We went to the clinic, I swear these doctors are getting younger and younger theses days! The doctor highly recommended, a trip to the ER. So Les took me to the ER. One of my co-workers husband was having pain too, and she ended up having taking him to the ER as well, and they were there in the waitning room when Les and I got there. He was in excruciating pain, and at that time, I was feeling pretty good. I felt horrible as they were wisking me away back to an area while he was still waiting to be seen. They did an EKG on me and determined it was not life threatening, but they were assigning me a room for further exam. I asked, please take Jay in my place,I cn wait,  he needs the room more than I, nope they wouldn't do it.  My husband says it was around 1:30 when we got there. Poor Jay didn't get a room until 4 PM.

Well after the EKG followed by some blood work, heart montiring, and x-rays, they tell me I will be admitted for one night for further testing and obsevation.  You got to be kidding... I thought once they did the EKG and found it was not my heart, that would be it. Tell me to increase my GERD medicine and be on my way.

So, an uxpected stay to room 429 at one of the largest accomodating institutions, without all the luxious annemeties. But they do have this cool bed that goes up and down, can put in different positions etc, possibly like the Sleep by Number Beds, that I think I would like but think I can't afford.

My co-worker just spent $10,000 on one of those.... you got to be kidding!!!

Now I have had the opportunity to spend time in such a place before, but this visit was like none other. Maybe because I was not sick... and did not just come out of surgery. I was very lucky to get the room at the end of the hall, not across the hall from the ice machine, not close to the nurse' station, not close to a waitng room, one  at the end of nowhere, where it was mostly nice and quiet, except for those that seemed to congregate right outside my door. I can imagine they were asked to step out of the room while their loved one was be tended to, and just went to to the end of the hall to wait.

I was on the 4th floor, and I must say, I did have an excellent view of the city, and not the mechanics of a rooftop.

So here I am, with one of those stupid robes on the upper half, and my street clothes  waist on down. I had to ask for pajamma bottoms as none were offered. No slippers were offered with the rubber treads on the bottom. Come on, I don't get to add to my collection!

I was told I was free to walk the halls etc, use the bathroom as needed etc. No restrictions, except NPO at midnight.

It has been a long day, and I am starved, I was not able to eat until 7 PM, after not having anything all day, which was great for them, as that made me fasting prior to blood work. I never ate breakfast, my journey began before eating lunch...

I was hooked up to wires, I had a IV port put in, I could show you a picture of the 1st attempt, but it would not be pretty, so I will stick with pictures of my back yard. I had blood work done every 6 hours, had a echocardiogram, a stress test, done with drugs instead of actually going on the treadmill. My, now that was a ride! Luckily I didn't need the goofy little green bag placed on my lap, but it was close. I tell you, Las Vegas has nothing over them, the most beautiful sky picture when looking up at the lights over the hard flat table that I had to lay on with this machine passing over you, first to the right, then back to the left and repeated I don't know how many times. But what a view, nice bright sky, with a few clouds and tree branches with the most incredible hues of green and browns, must have been turning fall there. I got to experience this twice, once before and after the crazy injection to make your heart race and trick it into thinking you were running at a very fast pace.

I usually do not sleep well in a hospital, but I must say I slept well. I guess all the other times, the sleeplessness came from the drugs or anesthesia that had been administered. This time, none of that.

Well following all the tests, they ruled out the heart. But they have not determined the soucre of the pain, first things first, make sure it is not the heart. So that leads to follow up appointments at the clinic, possible further testing of the digestive tract...

Oh, but I am not scott free, recently my husband read an article to me, and the best way to stay healthy is to avoid hospitals. Oh my, have they got that right. I left with Diabetes. Can you believe that!

So here we go on a new journey, they gave me a brand new gift, a blood glucose monitoring system. I don't think it really is free, my insurance has to pay for it. We will see when I start getting the bills. Another cute gadget I can add to my electronic collection and use daily. I am sure it will be one of those real addicting games. They tell me, once you have it, it is a life time buddy.

So with my stay, I had two visitors, cute gals and very nice, and one so young! One was the Diabetes Eductor, she gave me her card, and said to call her anytime, and if she was not in, she would call be back. The other one,  a student Dieteician. I am sure she will do very well in her career.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Julie, the NP. What a wonderful lady, and so thorough and pleasant. I really like her. Unfortuanely she only works in the hospital and does not see patients in a clinic center. But... she is the one who ordered all these tests that required me to stay overnigt. Well it started with that red head in the ER room. I am sure he is the one who put all those silly ideas in her head.

Julie also made some changes in my meds. Well although I got to go home Friday afternoon, Saturday was the most unpleasant day and I didn't dare leave the house.  So we will see how that goes today... So far so good.

Friday I go back to the clinic, and we will see what story unfolds from that visit.  Hopefully, today I will be able to get outdoors and enjoy that beautiful sunshine, and take a walk... yep more of that is in the plans, exercise!

PJ
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 247 of 328 (172 Views)

@DaveMcK, And a sad sad day here in suburban Philly. Cat Sad Nova Nation is licking their wounds. N.

Message 248 of 328 (157 Views)

It was a great day in Madtown and for the Wisconsin Badgers! 

In foul trouble, running out of steam, Wisconsin trailed by seven with just over five minutes to play against Villanova, who began flexing their muscles and showing why only two teams had beaten them all season.

But the Badgers weren't ready for their season to end.

Hayes converted the game-winning layup with 11 seconds remaining. (Photo: Getty)

The (8) Wisconsin (27-9) closed on a 15-5 run, highlighted by the go-ahead lay up from senior forward Nigel Hayes with 11 seconds remaining to take down the 1-seed Wildcats (32-4) 65-62 on Saturday

Knocking off their third No. 1 seed since 2013-14, the Badgers weren't fazed by the defending national champs, who had won eight-straight tournament games before Saturday.

"We played a really great team, great team," Hayes said. "It took a great effort from us, and we're just proud of ourselves for getting the job done."

FB_IMG_1489937800236.jpgFB_IMG_1489872989177.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 249 of 328 (144 Views)

Good Morning Porchers,

The sun is shining brightly, 42 degrees and partly cloudy. Gorgeous Morning.Snow drift lingering 03-19-2017Snow drift lingering 03-19-2017Back yard awaiting spring clean-up 03-19-2017Back yard awaiting spring clean-up 03-19-2017

Morning Sun 03-19-2017Morning Sun 03-19-2017

PJ
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 250 of 328 (150 Views)

Good Morning Porchers,

The sun is shining brightly, 42 degrees and partly cloudy. Gorgeous Morning.Snow drift lingering 03-19-2017Snow drift lingering 03-19-2017Back yard awaiting spring clean-up 03-19-2017Back yard awaiting spring clean-up 03-19-2017

PJ