Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Morning roll call! MARCH-APRIL

Message 271 of 328 (138 Views)

Frozenoem wrote:

15* slight wind 20mph partly cloudy but, no snow.

@doglover52

yaktrax rule on most streets.

@ASTRAEA

ReAd and watched the news stories about the hermit. We're a big state in terms of land, water, lakes but, still tiny in terms of overall population - 1.33 million.

People can easily drop off planet in Maine for decades or their entire lives.

Off gridders, hermits, old veterans in tiny camps or houses oft times can be found in the woods or pucker brush. Yes, I can think of at least 2 camps that I stumbled upon 20 years back, with Vietnam Vets that just tired of people. One has returned to civilization the other still prefers his camp and no people, wildlife trumps people. Don't really blame 'me.

Kinda like the 1996 movie, "The Spitfire Grill" might be why we seem to have more than our fair share of write an essay include $150 and win an inn, restaurant, house cause I'm moving elsewhere.

Need coffee forgot where I was going, neighbor called with news of "Myth of Fingerprints" DVD and offer of viewing if I set up his surround sound. It'll get me out of the house, going upcountry. The movie filmed in my little backwater in 1997 was a dud, I thought. But, I could use an airing bout now!

Frozen

@Frozenoem@ASTRAEA  I would like to read the article too!   And I never heard of pucker brush. 

vita umbratilis
Highlighted

Message 272 of 328 (133 Views)

Whoa: 80 degrees forecast for this weekend. If you need me, I'll be over here suffering from spring fever.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 273 of 328 (142 Views)

We will get some Wintery mix tonight and rain tomorrow with warming Temps. I hope everyone has a great St Patrick's Day? FB_IMG_1489531902793.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 274 of 328 (152 Views)

I don't know if it's good news or bad here for middle Georgia.  We didn't break the record for the lowest temperature of 26 that was set in 1916.  We only tied it.  At least the sun is shinning and the wind appears to have died down.  It's predicted to break 50 today and get back to our normal 60's for the weekend.  By next week I should be talking about summer temperatures again.

[ Edited ]
Message 275 of 328 (157 Views)

Here are our fire regulations here in Madison, WI. It is a metro area of a half million people. We live in the near Westside of the city. Our biggest issue is neighbor's smoke intuition into our home if we have our windows open.

I thought having an open fire was against Madison law. What are the rules regarding backyard fires?

"If the backyard fire is coming from an outdoor fireplace, there are some rules to follow, said Lori Wirth, spokeswoman for the Madison Fire Department. The fire pit has to be closed and have either a spark screen or spark arrestor, which will be a dome shape or a surrounding screen with a cover on top. There must be a pit to hold the wood, which can only be dry.

The fireplace can’t be used on a wooden deck, patio or porch, and must be more than 15 feet away from a building or lot line between properties. A fire extinguisher or garden hose must be readily available, and smoke from the fireplace can’t create a nuisance for others.

Finally, Wirth said there should be a responsible adult present. If a call is made to the fire department, Wirth said firefighters will assess if the fireplace is in compliance or poses a hazard, and will decide whether to extinguish the fire or issue a $175 citation.

While outdoor fireplaces can be purchased at home improvement stores, open burning permits — for things like bonfires, fireworks or lawn and prairie burns — must be obtained through the fire department. Wirth said the department does not approve requests for bonfires since Madison is a dense area, but they do approve a lot of lawn and prairie burns to get rid of excess vegetation. In many cases, the department has to inspect the area prior to the burn.

The city’s general ordinances and the state fire code prohibit open burning without a permit, Wirth said. Those interested need to fill out an application 30 days prior to the date of the activity, and must pay between $50 and $250 depending on the type of burn. Campfires are not permitted in Madison because the city has no approved campgrounds, Wirth said."

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 276 of 328 (152 Views)

15* slight wind 20mph partly cloudy but, no snow.

@doglover52

yaktrax rule on most streets.

@ASTRAEA

ReAd and watched the news stories about the hermit. We're a big state in terms of land, water, lakes but, still tiny in terms of overall population - 1.33 million.

People can easily drop off planet in Maine for decades or their entire lives.

Off gridders, hermits, old veterans in tiny camps or houses oft times can be found in the woods or pucker brush. Yes, I can think of at least 2 camps that I stumbled upon 20 years back, with Vietnam Vets that just tired of people. One has returned to civilization the other still prefers his camp and no people, wildlife trumps people. Don't really blame 'me.

Kinda like the 1996 movie, "The Spitfire Grill" might be why we seem to have more than our fair share of write an essay include $150 and win an inn, restaurant, house cause I'm moving elsewhere.

Need coffee forgot where I was going, neighbor called with news of "Myth of Fingerprints" DVD and offer of viewing if I set up his surround sound. It'll get me out of the house, going upcountry. The movie filmed in my little backwater in 1997 was a dud, I thought. But, I could use an airing bout now!

Frozen

Message 277 of 328 (154 Views)

GREYGRAMA wrote:

@ASTRAEA  No matter what part of the country one lives in, I think we are all tired of winter. But I thnk it will be awhile yet before we will be out mowing grass. Smiley Wink

@GREYGRAMA  No, I really welcomed the cold which came in this week!!   There has been no proper winter here in Georgia. There may not be a peach crop from SC or Ga.  I am  also afraid of a summer like we had in 2016, it was way too hot.

vita umbratilis

Message 278 of 328 (150 Views)

There is a 2.5 acre minimum lot size in this county, though many of the parcels in unincorporated areas are larger than 100 acres.

Yes, there are regulations, codes and restrictions governing such things as fire. A person must obtain a fire permit in order to burn slash/brush on their land. These regulations cover the manner and location of said fire. If conditions on your appointed day are unfavorable, the permit will be pulled. That said, things can go wrong: a person might not be aware of the high wind warning, or they may be a newly minted 'cowboy' who moved from the city and who is 'wild westing' it. Lapses in judgment like this have caused many a fire here. (Not as many fires as lightning, but still way too many.) Local old timers  --lots of these families have been on this land for a hundred years-- and seasoned country folk know better.

I have no idea what inspires smokers to toss a lit cigarette out a window. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 279 of 328 (146 Views)

@Epster - Is burning brush legal where you are? How close are your nearest neighbors .. would you have to worry about burning embers being carried by strong winds?

Some people don't like the zoning & municipal regulations of developed areas, but the point is to protect everyone from unthinking/inconsiderate neighbors.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 280 of 328 (147 Views)

@Frozenoem - I just sent you a PM with a link to an article I thought you might find interesting!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!