The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 81 of 217 (1,874 Views)

Here are a few more suggestions.  

These first few DVD only options on Netflix.

7 Boxes—Paraguayan action/suspense movie.  A teen working as a courier in an outdoor market is paid to cart some boxes around to hide them from the authorities.  He gets more than he bargains for.

Mr. Thank You—A gentle, early Japanese talkie, depicting the ride on the bus of Ari-gato san.

Burial Society—A meek Jewish accountant joins a burial society after he goes on the lam from the mob.

Boy A—A teen ex-con returns to society and is mentored by his caseworker.  Stars Andrew Garfield and Peter Mullan.

Citizen X—This HBO movie depicts the search for what is probably Russia’s first documented serial killer, in the 1980s-90s.  The film was mae in 1995 so the story was still rather fresh news.  Stars Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland, as well as other well known British actors.

These below are streaming options on Netflix, all tv/web series.

The Guild—A comedy web series created by and starring Felicia Day.  She plays a role playing game addict with a group of similar misfits, who go from interacting online to meeting in person.

A Young Doctor’s Notebook—A Russian doctor in the 1930s looks back on the start of his career in an isolated clinic in the 1910s.  The doctor is played by Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe.

Better Off Ted—Irreverant workplace comedy about employees at a R&D firm.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 82 of 217 (1,963 Views)
I've seen all three. I did like Sweet Land. I like movies about women with gumption. To wit, maybe you might also like Heartland, starring Rip Torn and Conchata Ferrell, or the Hallmark movies adapted from the kid's book Sarah Plain and Tall and its sequels, starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken.

Re Nebraska it was a bit hit and miss. Though they were funny, the extended family characters were too much of a caricature. Although I thought Will Forte was a decent dramatic actor, he can't hold a candle to Bruce Dern.

Re Osage, it was mostly a turnoff due to all the negative characters. There were some elements I liked, such as the housekeeper who could still have sympathy for this dysfunctional family, but Meryl's character needed to be more sympathetic. But I imagine there are many families like this for real. I think this probably works better as a play and the characters would come off more funny and less miserable.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 217 (1,968 Views)

Hi Filmnoter, I tend to put the name of the movie I am referring to into the title.  I was referring to "Nebraska" and "Sweet Land" in my last 2 posts.    Really loved both.  Have you seen these and what did you think?

I also saw "Osage County" but did not love it.  I do love Meryl Streep though and it was not a bad movie but it missed  somewhere!  

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 84 of 217 (1,980 Views)
Hey, LaDolceVita, what movies are you referring to in your last two comments?

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Sweet Land

Message 85 of 217 (1,864 Views)

I like this one very much also, I am partial to a rural theme and movies about love of the land.  Based on a short story by Will Weaver it was touching and funny.

vita umbratilis

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Nebraska

Message 86 of 217 (1,845 Views)

I loved it!!  Started out slow, but oh my was it worth it.  I watched a few parts a second time before sending the disc back.  Made me nostalgic for the time I traveled in the Midwest for holiday visits.  I have been in the southeast for so long that I forgot what the rest of the world looks like. 

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 87 of 217 (1,863 Views)

Thanks LaDolceVita!  This new AARP forum format was hard to figure out and I had a bit of trouble digging up the thread again.  Hope you are having a good start to your film year so far!

Message 88 of 217 (1,977 Views)

I am so glad to see this thread revived.  I had amost given up seeing anyone visit here again.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 89 of 217 (1,980 Views)

Here’s another batch of suggestions for Netflix:

High Tech, Low Life—Documentary about two Chinese citizen journalists.  They blog about their community and the problems of the little people and in some cases forces changes in the government.  They become well-known among citizens seeking their help, as well as among the international blogger and journalist community.  The doc shows how in small slow steps Chinese citizens are taking back their own personal identity and country, although as you can read in the news there is still a lot that is unchanged in China.

Keen Eddie—A short-lived tv series from the UK.  An American cop botches a case and is sent to England to track the bad guy.  He ends up making his English police superior look good so is forced to continue working there.  This is a quirky British comedy with lots of unknown but funny supporting UK actors.  Stars Mark Valley and Sienna Miller.

Charlie Countryman—This independent magical realism drama has some flaws but I liked the performance by Shia Labouef and the magical realism elements.  He goes to Romania after his mother’s death and meets a woman who needs saving (played by Evan Rachel Wood).

This is the End—A very vulgar but very funny comedy.  Stars Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel play themselves as they and their Hollywood friends find the world is coming to an end.

Far Out Isn’t Far Enough: The Tomi Ungerer Story—Documentary profiling illustrator Tomi Ungerer, most well known as a children’s book illustrator.

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Barney's Version

Message 90 of 217 (1,934 Views)

This movie is funny, silly, improbable and realistic at the same time.  Excellent on the whole. 

vita umbratilis