Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 71 of 215 (1,518 Views)
Although a bit hit and miss, and sometimes the special effects are of its time, I've been watching the Twilight Zone TV show from 1985 on dvd from Netflix. The strongest elements are casting and the roster of well known genre writers and directors.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 72 of 215 (1,527 Views)
Kolchak the Night Stalker is avail for online streaming.
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Philomena

Message 73 of 215 (1,611 Views)

I expected to enjoy Philomena and I did.   I was not at all familiar with the story of Michael Hess so I found the plot  very interesting.  The acting was terrific and the dialogue very good.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 74 of 215 (1,642 Views)
I have not seen Mid August Lunch, only read about it.

Message 75 of 215 (1,629 Views)

FilmNoter wrote:
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Yes, I will like it, I put it on my list!  

vita umbratilis

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? The Salt of Life

[ Edited ]
Message 76 of 215 (1,549 Views)

The Salt of Life  was a light and funny film. Part of its charm is that the cultural perceptions of life, beauty and happiness are somewhat different from ours here in the US.  I love Gianni Di Gregorio for his expressive face.   His mother is in a class by herself. I would like to see more of his work.

Filmnoter, did you enjoy Mid August Lunch?

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 77 of 215 (1,637 Views)
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? O'Horten

[ Edited ]
Message 78 of 215 (1,648 Views)

I have been catching up on my foreign movie list at Netflix but most of them have been depressing and not worth mentioning.  O'Horten, a Norwegian movie  had its moments and I liked the ending.  There were a lot of boring moments too but on the whole I liked the movie.  

Your new recommendations soud good Filmnoter, especially Burial Society.  I have added the DVDs to my list.  

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 79 of 215 (1,703 Views)

Here are a few more suggestions.  

These first few DVD only options on Netflix.

7 Boxes—Paraguayan action/suspense movie.  A teen working as a courier in an outdoor market is paid to cart some boxes around to hide them from the authorities.  He gets more than he bargains for.

Mr. Thank You—A gentle, early Japanese talkie, depicting the ride on the bus of Ari-gato san.

Burial Society—A meek Jewish accountant joins a burial society after he goes on the lam from the mob.

Boy A—A teen ex-con returns to society and is mentored by his caseworker.  Stars Andrew Garfield and Peter Mullan.

Citizen X—This HBO movie depicts the search for what is probably Russia’s first documented serial killer, in the 1980s-90s.  The film was mae in 1995 so the story was still rather fresh news.  Stars Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland, as well as other well known British actors.

These below are streaming options on Netflix, all tv/web series.

The Guild—A comedy web series created by and starring Felicia Day.  She plays a role playing game addict with a group of similar misfits, who go from interacting online to meeting in person.

A Young Doctor’s Notebook—A Russian doctor in the 1930s looks back on the start of his career in an isolated clinic in the 1910s.  The doctor is played by Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe.

Better Off Ted—Irreverant workplace comedy about employees at a R&D firm.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 80 of 215 (1,797 Views)
I've seen all three. I did like Sweet Land. I like movies about women with gumption. To wit, maybe you might also like Heartland, starring Rip Torn and Conchata Ferrell, or the Hallmark movies adapted from the kid's book Sarah Plain and Tall and its sequels, starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken.

Re Nebraska it was a bit hit and miss. Though they were funny, the extended family characters were too much of a caricature. Although I thought Will Forte was a decent dramatic actor, he can't hold a candle to Bruce Dern.

Re Osage, it was mostly a turnoff due to all the negative characters. There were some elements I liked, such as the housekeeper who could still have sympathy for this dysfunctional family, but Meryl's character needed to be more sympathetic. But I imagine there are many families like this for real. I think this probably works better as a play and the characters would come off more funny and less miserable.