AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 71 of 217 (1,653 Views)
The Polish film Ida will be out in a month. A young Catholic novitiate is encouraged to meet her aunt before finally taking the vow for good. The girl finds out she is in fact a Jew, and the family's painful history as Poles during WW2.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 72 of 217 (1,679 Views)
Locke is coming out on dvd soon. It was marketed I think as a thriller, a la Speed, but it is not that at all. Tom Hardy is the only onscreen actor and all the action takes place as he drives a car. But don't think it is boring, this is definitely an actor's movie.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 73 of 217 (1,697 Views)
Although a bit hit and miss, and sometimes the special effects are of its time, I've been watching the Twilight Zone TV show from 1985 on dvd from Netflix. The strongest elements are casting and the roster of well known genre writers and directors.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 74 of 217 (1,706 Views)
Kolchak the Night Stalker is avail for online streaming.
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Philomena

Message 75 of 217 (1,790 Views)

I expected to enjoy Philomena and I did.   I was not at all familiar with the story of Michael Hess so I found the plot  very interesting.  The acting was terrific and the dialogue very good.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 76 of 217 (1,821 Views)
I have not seen Mid August Lunch, only read about it.

Message 77 of 217 (1,808 Views)

FilmNoter wrote:
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Yes, I will like it, I put it on my list!  

vita umbratilis

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? The Salt of Life

[ Edited ]
Message 78 of 217 (1,728 Views)

The Salt of Life  was a light and funny film. Part of its charm is that the cultural perceptions of life, beauty and happiness are somewhat different from ours here in the US.  I love Gianni Di Gregorio for his expressive face.   His mother is in a class by herself. I would like to see more of his work.

Filmnoter, did you enjoy Mid August Lunch?

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 79 of 217 (1,816 Views)
LaDolce Vita, if you liked O'Horten, maybe try one called Schultze Gets the Blues, or works by Aki Kaurismaki.

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? O'Horten

[ Edited ]
Message 80 of 217 (1,827 Views)

I have been catching up on my foreign movie list at Netflix but most of them have been depressing and not worth mentioning.  O'Horten, a Norwegian movie  had its moments and I liked the ending.  There were a lot of boring moments too but on the whole I liked the movie.  

Your new recommendations soud good Filmnoter, especially Burial Society.  I have added the DVDs to my list.  

vita umbratilis