The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 61 of 217 (1,989 Views)
Don't know what this means, but the other day I logged onto Netflix and it said a lot of the movies I had as Saved (aka dvds not stocked currently by Netflix) were no longer available. Maybe this is to encourage more users to move to streaming? Has anyone else had this experience?
Gold Conversationalist

Message 62 of 217 (1,974 Views)
Have you caught Fargo, the tv show? It's a very Coenesque show inspired by the film of the same name. (They are sort of honorary producers but did not have a creative hand in the making of the tv show, but gave it their blessing.). If you are a Coen brothers fan, you will get their vibe through the plots, music, and film style.
Conversationalist

Message 63 of 217 (1,868 Views)

Just saw 2014 film, probably one of the last of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, "God's Pocket", thoughtful and provoking. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 217 (1,912 Views)

I am reposting this here so more people will see it. It was originally posted by Sparkel 18 under TV & I just now happened to run across it.

I would like to recommend Appropriate Adult, a 2011 British television film that I saw on Netflix last night. The term appropriate adult was not one I was familiar with. In English law an appropriate adult is someone over the age of eighteen, preferably a parent, guardian or social worker, who is present when someone is being interrogated by the police. An appropriate adult is needed when there is a child or a vulnerable adult who might not understand what is happening. In this film (2 parts), Janet Leach is called in to be present when Fred West, a man suspected of killing his daughter, is being questioned. The police wanted to assure that there be no question that Fred West understood what was going on. It turns out that Fred is a serial killer and he ultimately confesses to many murders in addition to that of his daughter. This show is based on a real case. This is a fascinating and well acted show. I highly recommend it.

vita umbratilis

Message 65 of 217 (1,933 Views)

Thanks Filmnoter for the info.  I watched "Labor day" with Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin last night.  I would have liked to give it 3 and 1/2 stars if that was available.  I like both actors and the storyline was pretty good.  

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 66 of 217 (1,950 Views)
I read about a Netflix tip that I thought I would pass along. This concerns the dvd rentals. If you receive a dvd from a location far from your city, black out the return address with a marker. The post office will deliver it to the closest Netflix center, so that will cut down on the time it takes your dvd to be returned to the system, thereby maximizing your rentals. Although I live in Chicago which has a quick turnaround time, sometimes I get a more obscure movie from a few states away and if I time it right I can get 8 rentals a month on my one-at-a-time plan.

Also if you get a cracked disc or one goes missing, call Netflix and they won't charge you for the loss.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 67 of 217 (1,955 Views)
LaDolceVita, I think that is my complaint with many biopics, they tend to focus on some salacious event of the celeb's life, idol worship, or just hit the highlights of the person's life, without humanizing or bringing the character down to our level.

Message 68 of 217 (1,632 Views)

Some good recommendations Filmnoter that interest me.  I must add what I can to my Netflix queue.  

I saw Jayne Mansfield's Car last night.  I enjoyed the movie while it was playing but there is no "take away".   Nothing memorable about the movie in other words.  Not much of a story line either, but lots of famous actors.  Ho hum.  I have seen many hohums this year.  Philomena was the exception.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 69 of 217 (1,645 Views)
Bad Words is actor Jason Bateman's first directing effort. He also stars as a man who infiltrates spelling bees meant for kids. He bonds with one of the students in a father/son relationship. Adult costars don't have very big roles, but the kid is a winsome character. I think Bateman did a good job as a first time director.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 70 of 217 (1,658 Views)
Not sure when this will be coming to netflix, but Stranger by the Lake is a French character study. A gay man trolls for sexual encounters at a nude beach frequented by other gay men with the same agenda. He pursues a man despite witnessing a crime about him. Also on the beach is a hetero man who claims he is just there to enjoy the sun. The "stranger" in the title can refer to any of these men.