Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? $5 a day

Message 51 of 215 (2,539 Views)

An Indie film from 2008 with Christopher Walken.  It really made me laugh and the acting was great.  I found myself really liking all the characters in this movie.

vita umbratilis
Recognized Social Butterfly

14 - Diaries of the Great War > Netflix recommendation

Message 52 of 215 (2,577 Views)

I recently watched an interesting documentary on NetFlix called 14 - Diaries of the Great War.

It was originally shown on BBC in 2014 in 8 segments. The individual episodes tell the story of the first World War as seen through the eyes of soldiers, children, housewives, factory workers, and volunteers—with fourteen main characters who speak through their diaries. This is a crazy quilt of enacted stories based on these diaries, woven together with pieces of actual war footage and animation. I found it to be a very emotional depiction of this historical era as well as very informative.

Graphically it was well done. A photo was shown of the actual diary’s author, which dissolved into a photo of the actor who was portraying this person in the documentary. You had a real sense of walking into the personal lives of these people, many of whom became the lone survivors of battles, illness, or other catastrophes.

One young girl, the daughter of a Cossack colonel, decided to follow her father into the war and became a child soldier at the age of 14. She was wounded in battle and narrowly escaped having her leg amputated. A year later she awoke from a horrific battle to find herself partially buried in rubble with only her head and right arm above ground. Another time she narrowly avoided being executed when her troop was captured. She was given the number 54 and all soldiers through 53 had been shot by a firing squad when fighting engulfed the camp, leaving her the only person alive. After the war she spent time in a mental hospital, was released and emigrated to the U.S. where she lived to age 84.

Well worth watching.

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 53 of 215 (2,616 Views)

Happy New Year film friends!  Some Netflix suggestions are on this list:

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/film/the-100-best-movies-now-on-netflix

Gold Conversationalist

Message 54 of 215 (2,620 Views)
So many movies, so little time! :-)

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Gone Baby Gone

Message 55 of 215 (2,596 Views)

Most of you movie lovers probably have already seen the above movie made in 2007.    I am a bit late to the party.  A long crime movie  with all kinds of twists and turns.  I gave it 4 stars in myr Netflix review. 

vita umbratilis

Message 56 of 215 (2,078 Views)

FilmNoter wrote:
Don't know what this means, but the other day I logged onto Netflix and it said a lot of the movies I had as Saved (aka dvds not stocked currently by Netflix) were no longer available. Maybe this is to encourage more users to move to streaming? Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, I was aggravated to find many movies have disappeard from my list. I am keeping a list of what they removed, hoping I will find another way to see the movies.

vita umbratilis
Info Seeker

Message 57 of 215 (2,098 Views)
Revenge is well worth watching.
Info Seeker

Message 58 of 215 (1,828 Views)

I like SyFy movies and horror movies like mummies, not so much Zombie too gross.  I love Romantic movies and Adventure movies, like Treasure Hunting,,,,

Gold Conversationalist

Message 59 of 215 (1,795 Views)
Don't know what this means, but the other day I logged onto Netflix and it said a lot of the movies I had as Saved (aka dvds not stocked currently by Netflix) were no longer available. Maybe this is to encourage more users to move to streaming? Has anyone else had this experience?
Gold Conversationalist

Message 60 of 215 (1,829 Views)
Have you caught Fargo, the tv show? It's a very Coenesque show inspired by the film of the same name. (They are sort of honorary producers but did not have a creative hand in the making of the tv show, but gave it their blessing.). If you are a Coen brothers fan, you will get their vibe through the plots, music, and film style.