Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Bernie

Message 91 of 215 (1,788 Views)

Jack Black is lovable as Bernie and this is a very funny movie.  Especially if you are a Texan or former Texan like me.  I went to school in east Texas, but I would have loved this movie even if I did not feel a connection.  This is the first movie I have seen in several months that I can recommend.  I still watch one movie a week but most of them are just so ho hum.   I did watch "Umberto D", the Italian classic from 1952 a few weeks ago but I turned into a puddle and  I am still worried about what happened to him.  

Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope we can revive this group a bit.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 92 of 215 (1,788 Views)

Thanks everyone for all these great suggestions!  Now that my film fest is over I am back to watching DVDs so will be sure to check some of these out.  I also second mapetro01's selection of Departures, a great Japanese drama with lots of emotion and depth.  I too get a lot of DVDs from the library.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 93 of 215 (1,824 Views)

I like to catch the TV series I missed the first time around.

Right not I'm watching "Foyle's War" which so far I like very much.

I added a bunch of new movies to my queue thanks to the great suggestions in this discussion.

Conversationalist

Message 94 of 215 (1,822 Views)

I'm enjoying the older series "Inspector Morse" from the 1980's (& 90's?). It never gets old or boring. I also liked 1998's "Twlight" with Susan Sarandon, Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, James Garner and a young Reese Witherspoon. It was a good suspense with lots of twists to the plot. Check it out!

Info Seeker

Message 95 of 215 (1,829 Views)

Netflix has become our movie provider of choic.  By far the best series of late is "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacy. Highly recommend this one.  There is also the British version "The House of Cards",  however, unless you are knowledgable of British politics, you won't enjoy it as much as the US version.

Conversationalist

Message 96 of 215 (1,706 Views)

The entire "Breaking Bad" series! Although it's dark and violent at times the series is as addicting as the subject matter itself. The writing and acting made for one of the best tv series ever. It pulls you in and takes you on a wild ride! 

Info Seeker

Message 97 of 215 (1,706 Views)

Im watching "the 4400" - an old sci fi series with 45 episodes - its really good if you like that kind of stuff.

Info Seeker

Message 98 of 215 (1,749 Views)

Luther, a BBC TV series is one of the best "Crimies" I've seen this year. We saw the first year of the series in Denmark and I was plesently pleased to see the second on Netflix. After watching this I'm really bored with US network crime stories. 

Info Seeker

Message 99 of 215 (1,750 Views)

I obtain most of my entertainment from my local library. Some of the good movies I've seen lately are "That's what I am" starring Ed Harris a true story about coming of age in the '60s, "Warm bodies" a zombie apocolypse love story with a twist. A really good movie I would like to reccomend is "Departures."  It is a story about an unemployed cellist in Japan who stuggles to find his calling in life and finds it in a most unusual way/place.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 100 of 215 (1,748 Views)

Here are a few more selections from Netflix:

Boats Out of Watermelon Rinds -- Two Turkish youths dream of opening a cinema or making films.  Great cinematography, acted by non-professionals I believe.

Kabluey--Indie film about a man (also the film's writer and director, Scott Prendergast) who shapes up his life and his sister-in-law's when he becomes a corporate mascot of a failing business.  Costars Lisa Kudrow.

The Juniper Tree--Based on a Grimm's fairy tale.  Two Icelandic sisters fend for themselves, one suspected to be a witch by her husband's son.  Costars singer Bjork in an early role.

Neighboring Sounds--Portuguese neighborhood hires a private security firm to patrol their streets, with clashes.

The Loving Story--HBO doc about the Lovings, an interracial couple whose case for interracial marriage went to the Supreme Court.  Very basic but still relevant.

The Night Listener--Story by Armistead Maupin of Tales of the City fame.  Late-night radio storyteller played by Robin Williams befriends an abused boy (Rory Culkin) who may or may not exist.  Toni Colette plays the foster mother.

The Oscar Winning Short Films Collection--A recent compilation of several live action and animated films that won the Oscar during the last decade or so.  Highlights for me include God of Love and Harvie Krumpet.