The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? I Wake in Fright

Message 91 of 217 (1,973 Views)

Some of the scenes of the violence against the kangaroos was most difficult to watch as it was stated (cant remember where) that they were real scenes from kangaroo hunts. I found these scenes painful to watch and painful to remember.  

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue?

Message 92 of 217 (1,949 Views)

Hi movie friends!  Here are some more Netflix streaming suggestios:

Dragon:  A Chinese martial arts movie with elements of an old Western: http://filmnoter.blogspot.com/2012/10/ciff-dragon.html

The Scapegoat: A British film based on a work by Daphne du Maurier, about a man who is forced to take over the life of his doppelganger: http://filmnoter.blogspot.com/2012/11/ciff-scapegoat.html

Wake in Fright: 70's Australian movie about a British teacher who becomes depraved among the masculine culture in the outback:  http://filmnoter.blogspot.com/2013/03/wake-in-fright.html

The Quare Fellow:  A young prison guard (Patrick McGoohan) questions capital punishment; based on a Brendan Behan play:  http://filmnoter.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-quare-fellow.html

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Should I Add to My Netflix Queue? Bernie

Message 93 of 217 (1,968 Views)

Jack Black is lovable as Bernie and this is a very funny movie.  Especially if you are a Texan or former Texan like me.  I went to school in east Texas, but I would have loved this movie even if I did not feel a connection.  This is the first movie I have seen in several months that I can recommend.  I still watch one movie a week but most of them are just so ho hum.   I did watch "Umberto D", the Italian classic from 1952 a few weeks ago but I turned into a puddle and  I am still worried about what happened to him.  

Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope we can revive this group a bit.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 94 of 217 (1,968 Views)

Thanks everyone for all these great suggestions!  Now that my film fest is over I am back to watching DVDs so will be sure to check some of these out.  I also second mapetro01's selection of Departures, a great Japanese drama with lots of emotion and depth.  I too get a lot of DVDs from the library.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 95 of 217 (2,004 Views)

I like to catch the TV series I missed the first time around.

Right not I'm watching "Foyle's War" which so far I like very much.

I added a bunch of new movies to my queue thanks to the great suggestions in this discussion.

Conversationalist

Message 96 of 217 (2,002 Views)

I'm enjoying the older series "Inspector Morse" from the 1980's (& 90's?). It never gets old or boring. I also liked 1998's "Twlight" with Susan Sarandon, Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, James Garner and a young Reese Witherspoon. It was a good suspense with lots of twists to the plot. Check it out!

Info Seeker

Message 97 of 217 (2,009 Views)

Netflix has become our movie provider of choic.  By far the best series of late is "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacy. Highly recommend this one.  There is also the British version "The House of Cards",  however, unless you are knowledgable of British politics, you won't enjoy it as much as the US version.

Conversationalist

Message 98 of 217 (1,886 Views)

The entire "Breaking Bad" series! Although it's dark and violent at times the series is as addicting as the subject matter itself. The writing and acting made for one of the best tv series ever. It pulls you in and takes you on a wild ride! 

Info Seeker

Message 99 of 217 (1,886 Views)

Im watching "the 4400" - an old sci fi series with 45 episodes - its really good if you like that kind of stuff.

Info Seeker

Message 100 of 217 (1,929 Views)

Luther, a BBC TV series is one of the best "Crimies" I've seen this year. We saw the first year of the series in Denmark and I was plesently pleased to see the second on Netflix. After watching this I'm really bored with US network crime stories.