Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Because nothing says Romance like racism and rebellion.

Toss up between Two For The Road (Finney and Hepburn), The Americanization of Emily (Garner and Andrews) and When Harry Met Sally (Crystal and Ryan). Make me laugh and I'll fall in love.

Contributor

GHOST.
Contributor

Thanks for the KUDO'S !!!
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Notebook with James Garner.

Contributor

"Love Story" love means never having to say you're Sorry!!!!!
Periodic Contributor

City of Angels, with Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage. She had a hard time holding back even though she didn't believe.  Very sad ending, wicked sad.

Trusted Contributor

City of Angels was a beautiful and very sad movie. I know there are angels amongst us here on earth and I loved this movie.

Contributor

My vote goes to "The Enchanted Cottage" starring Robert Young as a disfigured war veteran who lives in seclusion in a cottage. There he meets the plain housekeeper, Dorothy McGuire. As the two get to know each other and fall in love, they are physically transformed by that love. When his mother, Spring Byington, visits, she doesn't "see" the two beautiful people. The question for me is "What is real?"

The movie speaks to the transformative power of love and that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. The film was made in 1945. I saw it as a young child and I've never forgot it!
Periodic Contributor

I thought 'Casbanca' or possibly 'The African Queen' but then not Quite.

I have to vote for "The Sterile Cookoo"

Periodic Contributor

"Casablanca" would be to me.  Maybe "Sleepless in Seattle" also.

Contributor

Going back in time:

Love Story (Ryan O'Neal) and Jazz Singer (Neil Diamond) are favorites
Contributor

I have three  -  Gone With the Wind, Doctor Zhivago and Meet Joe Black.

Trusted Social Butterfly

I don't watch many romantic films, but Dr. Zhivago and A Beautiful Mind have always moved me. 

Conversationalist

I missed one in my list....

The Sound of Music.

Alex
Honored Social Butterfly

The movie   "Crypt of Tears"  , is an extension of a very world-wide popular series out of  Australia.   It will be premiered in February 2020.   Other than the wonderful artistic display of clothing in the series  is a romance between Miss Phryne Fisher and Inspector Jack Robinson that would curl your toes. Their chemistry comes into your living room off the screen and to me its my idea of a romantic couple and I do anticipate it will reveal itself in the movie created by the same people. . 

For those of you who haven't yet seen it.....  Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an Australian drama television series  It is based on author Kerry Greenwood's historical mystery novels, and it was created by Deb Cox and Fiona Eagger. The series revolves around the personal and professional life of Phryne Fisher (Essie Davis), a glamorous private detective in 1920s Melbourne and the co-star Nathan Page who is not only handsome but a fine actor.  .   

Social Butterfly

Not romantic but another good one was "The Kingdom".

Periodic Contributor

Starman...From Here to Eternity...

Periodic Contributor

Great call on From Here to Eternity!!! How did I miss that one on my list!? Montgomery Cliff and Donna Reed.

You really ARE into rough trade.
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'll agree with Notting Hill..."I'm just a girl standing here asking..."

And Captain Corelli's Mandolin... "You think you can come here and turn my whole world upside-down?"

Ahhhhhhh! Cat Happy Nancy

Conversationalist

I love Captain Corelli's Mandolin too!  Another in the same vein,  Keanu Reeves in A Walk in the Clouds!"  A gorgeously photographed movie and Keanu and his leading lady are as handsome and beautiful as you can wish for!  A perfect ending too! 

Periodic Contributor

The Notebook. Watch it and then respond.
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 wrote:

I'll agree with Notting Hill..."I'm just a girl standing here asking..."

And Captain Corelli's Mandolin... "You think you can come here and turn my whole world upside-down?"

Ahhhhhhh! Cat Happy Nancy

Notting Hill... you got to be kidding!!!!

Alternate Title: Nodding Off

I do agree with The Sound of Music though.

Periodic Contributor

I vote for "Ghost".

Contributor

One of my all time favorite ROMAN HOLIDAY.

Conversationalist

@nctarheel wrote:

Notting Hill... you got to be kidding!!!!

Alternate Title: Nodding Off

I do agree with The Sound of Music though.

I really liked Notting Hill especially the last scene in the book shop and then at the press conference at the end.

Love Actually is another one.

Alex
Periodic Contributor

not a Julia Roberts fan. Give me Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. Sleepless in Seattle is wonderful as well!
Honored Social Butterfly

I love "Sleepless in Seattle" and it gets to me no matter how many times I see it.  Another Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan film that I like is "You've Got Mail".  I love the end of the movie when they meet in the park along with the dog.  I'd never through of "Sound of Music" as a romantic movie, but that is quite a love story when I think about it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

nctarheel wrote:

“Notting Hill... you got to be kidding!!!!

Alternate Title: Nodding Off”

OUCH! Play nicely! Cat Wink N.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP