Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Entertainment & Leisure

Gold Conversationalist
FilmNoter

Originals vs remakes

How about taking a look at films and their remakes? Can you name some and why you prefer one over the other? Right now I am watching Either Way (A annan veg), the original to the recent indie film Prince Avalanche. Both films' scenes are very similar. PA I think allowed for the development of the relationship of the two characters (played by Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch) more before introducing other elements. Plus the timely usage of a real-life fire damaged forest in PA allowed for another layer of interpretation to the character played by Rudd. Hirsch's character also was dumbed down a bit more to allow a bit more inequality between the two characters.
Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
retiredtraveler

Re: Originals vs remakes

[ Edited ]

House of Cards. English original vastly superior.

3:10 to Yuma. Original better.

Orignals all better: Planet of the Apes, Parent Trap, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Magnificent 7, Cape Fear, Thomas Crown Affair, Manchurian Candidate, Day the Earth Stood Still, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3,

I'm a film buff and watch mostly films rather than TV shows. I have a bias for anything from U.K., and a definite bias for older films where there is character development rather than special effects (something British films always have).

“The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
― George Carlin
Please use plain text.
Respected Social Butterfly
ASTRAEA

Love English productions, and foreign in general .. especially what I call "quiet films" that don't depend on special effects!

One film that's been redone about a half dozen times in English, is "Anna Karenina", from 1935 with Greta Garbo, Frederic March & Basil Rathbone, to the 2012 version with Keira Knightly, Aaron Johnson & Jude Law. I have 2 complaints about older versions, one is that with the studio system, parts sometimes went to stars who wanted them, although they were too young or old for them. The other complaint is that stars back in the day expected to look gorgeous, no matter the setting they were in. In the 1935 version of "Karenina", 38 year old March played "dashing young Count Vronsky", to 43 year old Rathbone's Karenin .. only 5 years older than him. In the 2012 version, unknown Aaron Johnson was 22, to Jude Law's 40 .. a lot more plausible.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
FilmNoter

Retiredtraveler, I totally agree on the ones I've seen on your list. Pelham remake was inferior. When I hear the theme of the original I can envision Walter Matthau peeking back through the doorway when he "gets his man!"

Astraea, I agree on the classics and Shakespeare too which gets remade every year, such as the recent Much Ado or Romeo & Juliet. Unless it is a British production, they all seem inferior. Maybe because the British are raised more as a theatre culture rather than we are. All the old actors always looked more mature and was able to carry off those serious roles.

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
retiredtraveler

"...When I hear the theme of the original I can envision Walter Matthau peeking back through the doorway when he "gets his man!"...".

It's been awhile. Was that after he hears the coughing, or sneezing that he was hearing on the phone?

“The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
― George Carlin
Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
retiredtraveler

[ Edited ]

"...One film that's been redone about a half dozen times in English, is "Anna Karenina"...".

I'll have to take a look at that. I rented Karenina from Netflix and saw a 2000 English version with Helen McCrory (who shows up on many English films). Was not overly impressed with this. Good, but not great, to me. 

Totally agree with you on 'quiet films'. My neices don't believe me when I talk about these 'chick flicks' and liking English period pieces.  They're convinced I'm doing it for DW or something.  That's an awlful lot of (not earned) credit for their uncle. :smileyvery-happy: 

― George Carlin
Please use plain text.
Respected Social Butterfly
ASTRAEA

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...One film that's been redone about a half dozen times in English, is "Anna Karenina"...".

I'll have to take a look at that. I rented Karenina from Netflix and saw a 2000 English version with Helen McCrory (who shows up on many English films). Was not overly impressed with this. Good, but not great, to me. 

I didn't even know about the 2000 version! According to Wikipedia, it's been done MANY times, starting with a Russian version in 1911: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Karenina. It certainly says something about us, that in 1927 there was a version called "Love", also with Greta Garbo .. with 2 different endings .. a "happy ending" for the American version!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
FilmNoter

Yes, Retiredtraveler, Matthau was visiting a few suspects and went to see Martin Balsam (who hid his take in the oven if I remember). Matthau asks some questions and rules him out as a gangmember, but is about to leave when Balsam begins to make a big stink about being harassed (thus prolonging the conversation when he didn't have to). When Balsam is about to close the door, he sneezes and Matthau hears that it is the same sneeze he heard on the transit comm system.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker +
gadare

I prefer "Heaven Can Wait" to "Here Comes Mr Jordan".

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
nbrown32

The best remake that I can think of that will be the original is Aliens over the original Aliens. It has more action and the storyline was fantastic. It kept me more enthralled and held my attention more.

Please use plain text.