Gold Conversationalist

Re: Originals vs remakes

Message 1 of 24 (1,370 Views)
Is1873, I have to agree with you on LSoH. It's one of my favorite movie musicals/soundtracks. The effects were also all made very well in a pre-CGI age I hear Frank Oz fought to keep Ellen Greene as she starred kin the stage version, since the movie people wanted to cast someone else. I guess the original was deliberately campy and bad. Have you seen the "dark" ending version?
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 24 (1,389 Views)

The remake of "Little Shop of Horrors" was by far better than the original. The Original movie not only had bad acting,but the picture quality and sound were terrible!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 24 (1,548 Views)
I think the originals are better. No one can beat Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. Original Oliver can't be beat. I watched Planet of the Apes, wasn't my favorite, but the first was the best. I can think of many others and not one remake is better than original.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 24 (1,799 Views)
Ha, can you imagine Hackman as Willy Wonka!
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 24 (1,947 Views)
Gene Wilder not Gene Hackman in Willy Wonka
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 24 (1,950 Views)
No way you must like Warren Beatty rent Shampoo instead.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 24 (2,395 Views)
A friend and I also brought up Gambit. The recent remake starring Colin Firth (written by the Coen brothers, which was the reason we were looking forward to it) seems to have gone straight to video without a theatrical release.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 24 (2,436 Views)

I have always thought that it would never be possible to duplicate all the incredible excitement and special effects of the 1933 Classic, "King Kong."  Well, it turns out I was wrong about that.  I do not like any of the remakes that have ever been made about any original motion picture.  But Peter Jackson's 2005 version of this film is the all time exception.  In fact, in my opinion, it is the ONLY exception to that rule.

He incorporated so many elements from the original and in such a very savvy way that the whole experience of view this marvelous remake becomes a total immersion into wonderful nostalgia,  What a beautifully realized motion picture!

retiredtraveler wrote:

House of Cards. English original vastly superior.

3:10 to Yuma. Original better.

Orignals all better: Planet of the Apes, Parent Trap, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Magnificent 7, Cape Fear, Thomas Crown Affair, Manchurian Candidate, Day the Earth Stood Still, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3,

I'm a film buff and watch mostly films rather than TV shows. I have a bias for anything from U.K., and a definite bias for older films where there is character development rather than special effects (something British films always have).

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 24 (2,444 Views)

Speaking of Italian Job, that also got a remake.  I love the car chase in the original.  If you rent teh DVD there is an extended segment where the Minis "dance" to the Blue Danube waltz.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 24 (2,497 Views)
Born Yesterday