AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Short term health insurance

Message 1 of 4 (198 Views)

g304652a wrote:

Thank you so much for such a helpful and detailed reply. I feel silly now I completely forgot about COBRA. I've been so tense trying to wrap things up with the current job and meetings with the new employer. I will check on all my options. 

Thank you again! 

Here is a hint for you. Get to a local expert on this subject and seek their advice based on what you now have. Show them copies of all your insurance documents as there can be many local differences which the advice givers in here have not a clue on. I had one advice giver in here tell me something that would have cost me over a $1,000 a year if I had followed it. If you do not know a local expert contact the state AARP Office as they can give you some information on where to go. Do not take advice from any one in here for your own sake.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 4 (237 Views)

Thank you so much for such a helpful and detailed reply. I feel silly now I completely forgot about COBRA. I've been so tense trying to wrap things up with the current job and meetings with the new employer. I will check on all my options. 

Thank you again! 

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (251 Views)

You have a couple of options -

You can ask your current employer about a COBRA plan.  This is basically what you have now but you will be paying the full premium without any employer subsidy.  This would probably be the easiest because your doctor and your meds would be covered just like they are now.

An ACA exchange plan would also work.  You have access to signing up now since you are loosing employer coverage.    You will have to pick the one that you want, looking carefully at if your doctor is in the network and if your meds are on the formulary.  Then you will have to time your enrollment and termination of coverage to the schedule of losing the old coverage and gaining the new in 90 days.

If you don't qualify for a tax credit subsidy under the ACA, then you can also check with an independent health insurance agent to see what is offered to you off the exchange in policy coverage.

Good Luck on your new job.

I came back to add -

There is such a thing as an actual "Short Term Health Plan" but benefits are skimpy and they don't cover what a full plan might cover - just adding this for terminology reasons.

Info Seeker

---

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 4 (257 Views)

---