Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: What do you think about the impending health tax reform?

Message 11 of 59 (847 Views)

NO WE ARE NOT BEING LIED TO BY 'LEFTISTS'!

We are being lied to be rightists.   By rightists who themselves are multi-millionaires and billionaires led by a narcisstic egomaniacal mental case who is devoid of a scintilla of compassion or care about anyone but himself and his detestable family.

You declare that 90-95% of seniors do not care about the elimination of the medical/health expense deduction and you deceitfully link the few who do with seniors with high incomes.  A double lie.

For your information the vast majority of seniors DO have medical/health expenses that are OFTEN high and the older they get the higher the expensea will get.  Every reputable study shows 75% of taxpayers now itemizing deductions will pay higher taxes under this disgusting Trump ripoff tax bill that will, with the eliminatiion of the estate tax in its entirety, make  his detestable family, even richer iinthe future.

Lastly:  I am myself quite well off and with an excellent Medicare Advantage Plan (which the disgusting Republicans are planning to emasculate in the future also) so probably I'll be  okay.  Millions won't.  Any senior citizen who supports Donald Trump deserves what they will get.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 59 (1,530 Views)

msNessa59 wrote:

I think that this new health tax reform is a disaster for people like us who have medical conditions that needs constant care for our illnesses. Yet we have a Government that thinks we shouldn't have this care. We worked and paid money into the Social Security System for this purpose, now they are trying to take our right to good medical benefits. We are paying for them to have a proper healthcare plan and now they say we can't. If I could I would go to Washington and lay all my medical bills on their table and tell them to pay them. They ar not concerned about us, they think our money we paid into  Social Security is a gift from them and we don't deserve what we worked most of our lives to have when we could no longer work. We need to show them how we feel by going to the polling place at election time.

You're being lied to by leftists:

1. There is no "health tax reform." The very question that AARP is asking in the subject line of chrono comment 1 is a lie.

2. Although the subject line of chrono comment 1 includes the words "health tax reform," the question is "As a senior, do you or do you not think you should be able to deduct the amount of your medical expenses that exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income?"

-- Not surprisingly the relatively few seniors who have large incomes in retirement and have large medical expenses want to keep the deduction.

-- Also not surprisingly the 90%-95% of we seniors who are not affected do not care.

(-- If you are an AARP member but not yet a senior this probably has even less relevance to you because you are still working and making a higher salary than the typical senior in retirement; that makes it even harder for you to reach the 10% of AGI threshold before medical expenses can be deducted.)

3. None of this has anything to do with Social Security and what you paid into SS (again unless you are one of the relatively few seniors who "make" enough money in retirement that your SS is taxed)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 59 (1,536 Views)

rker321 wrote:

You are correct in the fact that I have very little knowledge regarding taxes, but practically my only deductions is the medical costs. Like premiums, out of cost medical, and prescription drugs. I have never even had to go to that doughnut hole that many apparently have. The rest is done my Tax accounting that has all the info regarding personal assets (like stocks bonds, Iras, annuities. etc.)   I just send the 1099 to them. and they do their job. 
Now, why shouldn't I trust a tax accounting firm that have done our taxes for 20 years? By the way is not Block or anyone like that.
So judging from that, I am assuming that I will not do good in my next taxes when I file in 2019.

So has your accountants even informed you that the medical and dental deductibility on Schedule A has been increase to a new floor level of 10% of your  AIG for those 65 years old and older for 2017 tax year returns?

Accounts usually give people a heads up about tax changes which might effect them in the next tax cycle so that their customers can evaluate the changes and perhaps do some tax planning.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 59 (1,535 Views)

m64481y wrote:

I am very concerned  about the health care reform because I have a condition that is a  recurring illness and i am also  concerned  about the proposed cuts in Medicare.  I  have been following  the progress of the efforts to get rid of  the  affordable  health  care  bill. The way the elected  officiates try to do everything in secret  is not right. and we all need to let the congress know.  I call my republican  congressman  every week to express my concern.

And have you called and told them specifically what is your concern? I call also but I tell them that the Medical deductions cannot be taken out of the Tax Reform bill, Tell them specifically what is your concern that affects you

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 15 of 59 (1,447 Views)

I think that this new health tax reform is a disaster for people like us who have medical conditions that needs constant care for our illnesses. Yet we have a Government that thinks we shouldn't have this care. We worked and paid money into the Social Security System for this purpose, now they are trying to take our right to good medical benefits. We are paying for them to have a proper healthcare plan and now they say we can't. If I could I would go to Washington and lay all my medical bills on their table and tell them to pay them. They ar not concerned about us, they think our money we paid into  Social Security is a gift from them and we don't deserve what we worked most of our lives to have when we could no longer work. We need to show them how we feel by going to the polling place at election time.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 59 (1,420 Views)

I am very concerned  about the health care reform because I have a condition that is a  recurring illness and i am also  concerned  about the proposed cuts in Medicare.  I  have been following  the progress of the efforts to get rid of  the  affordable  health  care  bill. The way the elected  officiates try to do everything in secret  is not right. and we all need to let the congress know.  I call my republican  congressman  every week to express my concern.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 59 (1,558 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

If you do not understand your taxes how can you even have an opinion on the tax reform and whether or not it will affect you in a positive or negative way?

You are correct in the fact that I have very little knowledge regarding taxes, but practically my only deductions is the medical costs. Like premiums, out of cost medical, and prescription drugs. I have never even had to go to that doughnut hole that many apparently have. The rest is done my Tax accounting that has all the info regarding personal assets (like stocks bonds, Iras, annuities. etc.)   I just send the 1099 to them. and they do their job. 
Now, why shouldn't I trust a tax accounting firm that have done our taxes for 20 years? By the way is not Block or anyone like that.
So judging from that, I am assuming that I will not do good in my next taxes when I file in 2019.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 59 (1,512 Views)

rker321 wrote:

. . . . .I know what I send to our tax accountant and frankly I never read  the figures that he actually puts down. I trust our tax firm implicitly. therefore I am sure that when I provide my numbers, they use them as guidelines to do my taxes.
 . . . I will accept the fact that I have very little knowledge about taxes and how they work. I have never filed our own taxes. I usually pay for that service.

IMO, not understanding your own taxes is a big mistake.  Not understanding the revelant areas of the tax code to your situation is also a big mistake.

Not checking your own tax return before they are shipped off to the IRS with your approval is also a mistake.

Understanding is essential for planning.  Understanding has to be there in order for a person to really understand how any sort of tax reform or tax changes would/could affect them and perhaps plan accordingly.

Sure your accountants can advise you and alert you but unless you understand what they are saying, something important could get by -  Have they alerted you thus far on any tax reform matters - positive or negatively ?

If you do not understand your taxes how can you even have an opinion on the tax reform and whether or not it will affect you in a positive or negative way?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 59 (1,563 Views)

Thank you Gail.  I know what I send to our tax accountant and frankly I never read  the figures that he actually puts down. I trust our tax firm implicitly. therefore I am sure that when I provide my numbers, they use them as guidelines to do my taxes.
I don't care that ByronDennis implies that I may be doing anything illegal ,or my tax accounting may be doing anything illegal in our taxes.
He simply speaks out of turn.
I will still disagree with you on many issues. I will accept the fact that I have very little knowledge about taxes and how they work. I have never filed our own taxes. I usually pay for that service.
I am sure that with this tax reform our tax firm will provide us with the information that we need to know and how our taxes should be done in the future.
I still feel that I will be one of the losers if and when the medical deductions are taken out. and so many seniors.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 59 (1,427 Views)

Dear ByronDennis.
I have passed along your comments to the accounting firm that does our taxes. and they have told me. that ovbiously you do not know the particualars of my taxes or how and what they do.
Therefore, to simply disregard anything that you have to say about my taxes. they are quite confident that they know their job and they are a very competent accounting firm and they don't think you are.