Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Are you happy with the gym selected for free membership by the Silver Sneaker bunch?  Well I am not.  I live near Grass Valley Ca., and the gym selected is old and moldy.  You cannot swim in their pool because there is a huge mass of chlorine gas lurking over it, which swimmers have to choke through.   It is very unhealthy.   They are overcrowded, fail to have even meagre comfort amenities, like benches in the dressing rooms.  I don't like it.

There is another gym in town that totally fits my requirements.  Open, spacious, a delightful and very large pool area, and yet, I can't take advantage of my Unitedhealthcare perk to join it. 

I joined UNitedhjealthcare because I felt I could justify the premium it covered gym membership.  Well it does, but not for me.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I live in Alabama and have been enjoying a free membership at the YMCA which is a wonderful gym and pool for the last 2 years.  I just got a letter from AARP (United Healthcare) saying they were no longer going to offer Silver Sneakers in Alabama.  I'm really upset that they are so ignorant not to realize the preventative health care is well worth their paying for gym memberships.   Humana Supplementary Insurance does support the Silver Sneakers program here in my city so I'm seriously thinking about switching over to them!

Regular Contributor

wait they may drop it next year too unless it is a advantage plan....
0 Kudos

Big zip code big Perks. Little zip code no Perks. I am paying more for plan November than others pay for plan For yet they get free membership to YMCA as Perks. What makes me less deserving to be healthy? Shame on you AARP/United Health
Marie D

Where are the gyms in Lubbock, Texas that recognize AARP membership free?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Doesnt cover the gym membership.  Looks like for the high price you pay that they dont offer silver sneakers anymore for the medicare supplement plan.  I am extremely disappointed.  Their is another type called silver and fit, but they don't have that either. Pooey

Contributor

On a second note it covers some supplemental plan members in certain states.  I live in Oregon and it is not covered here unless you are an advantage plan member.  I don't know why, can anyone enlighten me.  I would like to be able to go to a gym.  Again Pooey.

I live in Oregon and AARP canceled my Silver Sneakers when I moved here. I don't get it as I have paid my AARP membership since 2008. Why cancel Silver Sneakers?? Can someone from AARP  answer this?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@lynneleahy wrote:

I live in Oregon and AARP canceled my Silver Sneakers when I moved here. I don't get it as I have paid my AARP membership since 2008. Why cancel Silver Sneakers?? Can someone from AARP  answer this?

Lance

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

AARP does not provide Silver Sneakers, United Healthcare does. Confusing, I know but you need to talk to them.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am covered in NJ for Silver Sneakers.  I would love a Zimba, that isn't so fast.  I love fast dancing but, I rather go slow.  Love the R&B, that would be soooo sexy

0 Kudos
Contributor

Bravo for calling out Silver Sneakers for not being much good for seniors.  I too am totally frustrated because Silver Sneakers has declined to support my membership at my incredable YMCA, which is closest to my home and totally senior and community responsive.  What I have learned, so far, is that Silver Sneakers only honors two gyms, convenient to my home  -- one of which is a Gold's Gym, incredibly overcrowded and filled with young jocks, who carelessly walk around with large weights on their shoulders and think that the "f" word is an adjective, and a Curves gym, which is simply too silly for words.  I have also been informed that my local YMCA was declined membership in the Silver Sneakers program because it is in too close proximity to the two forementioned gyms.  There is no such thing as a freebee and those of us who pay for health services through AARP and United Health Care are entitled to better and more appropriate gym services than the current designated Silver Sneakers gyms in my area.  As an educated senior and one who will settle for nothing less than appropriate ROI for my investment in United Health Care, I am committed to pursuing this issue until Silver Sneakers provides me with a gym close to my home that is truly appropriate to my needs and I urge everyone else to do the same.

Contributor

I don't even know how to join Silver Sneakers.  How do you go about it?

Contributor

Ibelong to a gym " Planet Fitness" in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

at least planet fitness only costs $10 a month where I am.
silver sneakers is going to be discontinued by the insurers and who knows it might be just after the next year starts they will drop it on all advantage plans too. or is it a plot to get me off the plan F I have........
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

i belong to a gym Planet Fitness in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

0 Kudos

Spoiler

Just go to Silversneakers.com and follow their instructions on their website.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm looking as well....did you find anything?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

information about silversneakers can be gained by going to their website silversneakers.com.  It's a rather popular added perk, and even more so for people that live in more populated areas, where there's a wider choice of places.  You would simply put in your zipcode, and it would give you the addresses of the nearest facilities to you. 

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

Are you happy with the gym selected for free membership by the Silver Sneaker bunch?  Well I am not.  I live near Grass Valley Ca., and the gym selected is old and moldy.  You cannot swim in their pool because there is a huge mass of chlorine gas lurking over it, which swimmers have to choke through.   It is very unhealthy.   They are overcrowded, fail to have even meagre comfort amenities, like benches in the dressing rooms.  I don't like it.

There is another gym in town that totally fits my requirements.  Open, spacious, a delightful and very large pool area, and yet, I can't take advantage of my Unitedhealthcare perk to join it. 

I joined UNitedhjealthcare because I felt I could justify the premium it covered gym membership.  Well it does, but not for me.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I pay my dues to United Healthcare and they do not cover silver sneakers anyplace in Massachussets.Promised prevention???
They would rather cover very expensive surgeries NOT prevention by physical exercises suited for elders.
Honored Social Butterfly

According to the    Silver Sneakers Website,     this UHC plan in MA has the benefit.

AARP MedicareComplete Choice
AARP MedicareComplete Choice Phone Number UnitedHealthcare Members please call the number on the back of your health plan ID card. Web site www.AARPMedicarePlans.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Course it is always best to verify any coverage.
There were other insurers listed too - but annual enrollment is now over for changes for this year.

As with other health insurance, you have to balance out your prioritized needs with the plans.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP