Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 83 (756 Views)

robertc193036

G plan is lower than F.  What did you have to give up?

2017-09-20-popular-key Scaled.png

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 83 (807 Views)

I find it very upsetting that the Silver Sneakers program or multi state/ multi gym -pool programs are NOT offered by the AARP United Healthcare Medigap company.

I have no problems with Denise Austin doing AARP online recommendations etc but these are available easily online. What a waste.  

What I need and want is AARP supporting me in true exercise ---- I know others want this too.  I'm just turning 65 in January and am shocked that this is not available.

Exercise and diet are the most important components of health.  I am pushed more when I exercise in a group or in a gym. I also enjoy the company and motivation of fellow participants.  At  58 I cycled across America and at 60 I completed an Ironman Distance event (HITS) in Ocala.  I am very lucky as I continue to swim, ski, bike. My husband is 71 and I cannot keep up with him. We work hard to keep in this shape.  I believe there are more of us aging people that need more than arm push-ups while popping popcorn.  I realize that some day I will not be physically able to do as much as I do now but if I don't have gym/pool access now to keep up my core strength etc this will change sooner than later and will cost insurance more.  

How do we get this changed?

Are there others who feel the same way?

We need great facilities--- not moldy, overcrowded facilities.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 83 (1,457 Views)
And so is Aetna.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 83 (1,457 Views)

And so is Aetna.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 83 (2,525 Views)

Switched my wife to the Mutual of Omaha supplement plan. It does not include siver sneakers either, but saved her enough money to get three gym memberships. 

Switching might not be an option if you have pre-existing conditions. I switcher from plan F to plan G. Worse case, she will save a thousand dollars per year. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 83 (2,554 Views)

at the cost of BCBS plans it is not a courtesy   it should be included 

Info Seeker

Re: 5Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 7 of 83 (2,613 Views)

I learned yesterday our UHC Advantage plan is dropping Silver Sneakers for the Optum plan. We live in Southeastern Wisconsin. Evidently it's being done on all plans including Supplement. Fortunately some fitness centers like the YMCA's are on the Optum plan while Gold's Gym's aren't which is my primary facility

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 83 (3,889 Views)

I have part C, the AARP Medicare Complete.... a medicare advantage plan.  The choices of AARP Medicare advantage plans in my area are zero premium, $26 a month premium, or $76 a month, all including drug coverage, and all replacing the SS with their optum fitness.  Again, without optum fitness Green Bay seniors would either have to pay their own Y fitness membership  (no matter if they have a different plan that included SS or not), or get it free with the AARP UHC optum. I am in Wisconsin.  Re the medigap plans...  Wisconsin is different... we do not have plans with letter names so I really have no clue about them.  I lived in Wi all my life so that is all I am familiar with, both with what my parents had (a medigap) and for myself.

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 83 (3,904 Views)

Inovative Health & Fitness is not an affiliate of the YMCA. They elected to withdraw from the SS program because too many SS participants in the Milwaukee area chose to use their club and SS was not paying them as much for these participants as their private members were paying. It was a business decision. In central Oklahoma, the regional YMCA, Planet Fitness and Gold's Gym among others currently participate in SS. Since UHC has elected to drop SS as a benefit of their medagap plans (except for Medicare Advantage, Part C), those of us purchasing UHC are receiving a hidden price increase of $120 to $600 depending on which of the athletic facilities you participate. Thats' ten to fifty dollars a month on top of the thirtyfive dollar a month increase in the plan F premium.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 83 (3,921 Views)

It the supplement plans that are dropping the Silver Sneakers benefit. The Mdeicare Advantage HMO option still includes the benefit.  This is simpl6 a hidden price increase on the supplement plans. The Optum benefit will cover about half the fitness membership at participating centers. In reality, it pays the center nothing unless the member attends at least four times a month. Onl6 then do they the fitness center any money.