The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Please tell me how to opt out of junk mail from AARP

Message 21 of 33 (9,542 Views)

Members should receive a free shredder each year.... AARP is wearing mine out!!!

Community Manager

Message 22 of 33 (9,011 Views)

I have forwarded this request to our membership department.  They will take the appropriate actions to have your email address removed from our mailings.

You can also send an email to member@aarp.org for any additional requests or issues.

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 33 (8,529 Views)

I dropped my membership because of the number of solicitations from AARP. I have received membership invitations in my name, my husbands name, both names, two different addresses and my work post office box. Benefits don't outweigh the enormous waste of paper and postage. It is an enviromental disgrace in 2015. It is unconscionable that this isn't a problem on their radar. AARP should have a department that deals with duplicate, triplicate (quadruple!) membership solicitations by purchasing a secure computer program that can filter these addresses,and hire staff to deal with problematic items the database can't handle.

I returned today to see if the problem has been addressed since 2013, which sadly it has not. I will continue to shop for auto insurance without an AARP discount.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 33 (9,905 Views)

After having the same problem listed, I contacted AARP on the AARP.ORG website under Contact Us by Message on 02/25/2015. The message is as follows:

Please remove my name and address from your mailing list(s) for advertisement(s) regarding anything but my AARP Membership card/ renewals. I am able to log on to the AARP.ORG website to review any benefits of membership. The "junk mail" delivered to my mailbox by "third parties" as a result of my AARP Membership is getting out of control. I am not alone as evidenced by many complaints on the internet regarding this problem. If cancellation of my AARP Membership is the only solution to this problem, then I will choose to do so. I will post this message to the websites filled with consumer complaints regarding "junk mail" as a result of AARP Membership. You also give NO option of stopping unwanted solicitations by U.S. Mail on the AARP.ORG website. Please reply on a solution to this problem.

Community Manager

Message 25 of 33 (8,753 Views)

AARP does not sell any addresses.  Our privacy policy explains who we share information with: http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/info-05-2010/privacypolicy.4.html#05

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 33 (8,765 Views)

I think AARP is selling our addresses and emails on lists.  I think we should look into what we can do to have this stopped since we paid for a membership and didn't pay to get harassed by insurance comapnies and 3rd party solications.  I'm getting tired of having to shred junk mail. 

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 33 (7,782 Views)

This is NOT AN ANSWER form a advocate organization.

How do we stop your selling our personal information to others?

Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Message 28 of 33 (8,246 Views)

in8017,

Lots of good advise has already been provided in this thread.  I recommend giving AARP a call.  Be sure to talk with the representative about what you want stopped. 

Here is a link to the AARP contact page > http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/contact-us/ . 

And here is the phone information:

• Toll-Free Nationwide:1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277)
    Toll-Free TTY: 1-877-434-7598
    Toll-Free Spanish: 1-877-342-2277
    International Calls: +1-202-434-3525

Hours: Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. through 11 p.m. ET

AARP Online Community Team
Info Seeker

Message 29 of 33 (8,153 Views)

I subscribe to AARP for my mother who has dementia and lives in assisted living. She likes the magazine but all the other stuff and repeated requests for membership money has her confused. She is not able to understand or remember much from day-to-day. Many things that come in the mail upset her. I do not want to take away her ability to get mail, she has so little freedom left. HOW do I stop junk mail?

Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 30 of 33 (8,399 Views)

After years of diligently looking and asking to be unsubscribed....I finally gaot a hotmail address which has a pick that only shows you the  emails that you approve so all mail goes to JUNK and you can do an EMPTY and erase all junk mails daily.  Same for Yahoo and Gmail--they have a spam folder designation and you cah "delete forever" but again that is daily. 

Hate to publish this on a forum as SPAM mail can force hotmail and gmail and yahoo to NOT to provide a SPAM account and we will all lose.

Kathleen