The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: OUCH ! ! ! Have You Gotten All of Your Vaccinations and Immunizations ?

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 42 (1,878 Views)

ss11943859 Here is a link to the high dose flu shot. Our county gives free flu shots to anyone but they don't give high dose so I am in search of a place who actually stocks it.

http://www.fluzone.com/fluzone-high-dose-vaccine.cfm

Gail 1, I did not have to pay anything for my first pneumonia shot but did have to pay for shingles which as you correctly said was covered under part D.

I'll have to check about the Prevnar .

Chris

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 42 (1,894 Views)

ss11943859 wrote

Have you noticed how many parents of young children are refusing to vaccinate their children ?
Has it ever been proven that vaccines don't cause autism or other issues ?
I don't advise others on what I think they should do..to each his own !

I have some concerns about contagious diseases this country has never had a problem with before the influx of immigrants. Then there's the lax of security in our own labs and the real possibility of a spread of who-knows-what as a result of this lapse.

I'm going to find a forum with some postive outlooks ! Maybe recipes ?? Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------

after the measle scare in Ca., states changed their laws about objections to vaccinations in children - I think now that most all children will be vaccinated, mandated by state law.

there is NO link between autism and vaccinations, never any proof of this and it has been tested.

Yes, diseases coming from outside the U.S. From anybody, visitors or I grants is a concern, that's another reason to get vaccinations that exist for many diseases.

we can only be immunized against what has been developed to combat them.

one of my concerns is some greedy unethical conglomerate buying up the rights to them and making the price go through the roof - we need more competition in their manufacturing with not just one pharma company controlling theses discoveries.

You will have copy and paste this address into your browser, I cannot get the link to work to embed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/health/Vaccine-Costs-Soaring-Paying-Till-It-Hurts.html?_r=0

There re is another NYT article that says about the same thing and it is dated in 2007.  We have been warned of this so time for our powers to start thinking about a remedy.

you will have to find your recipes outside of me, I am an absolutely horrible cook.

smiles back to you.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 42 (1,928 Views)

Chris7715 wrote

Just wondering - does Medicare pay for the second pneumonia shot? My doc recommended the first so that was done a few years ago. Had the shingles vaccine and had to pay a bit but I am not sure if it was necessary or will be effective because I did have a bout of shingles previous to the shot. My doc loaded me up with the correct meds for shingles but it still was not a fun experience and I want to avoid a repeat.
Right now I am trying to find some place close by that carries the high dose flu shot for seniors.
Chris

-----------------------------------------

Yes, Medicare covers the 2nd pneumonia vaccine - each one protects against different organisms.  You most likely are missing the Prevnar vaccine but check with your doc about which one you are lacking.

As long as your shingles vaccine was prepared and given correctly, you should be protected with no further outbreaks.

I came back to edit - I think that it is Medicare Part B that covers the pneumonia shotS but check and make sure cause some vaccines, like shingles, are covered under Part D.

Message 24 of 42 (1,933 Views)

Hi, Chris !

I don't know if Medicare pays for a 2nd pneumonia shot. I just had my first one. Aren't they good for 10 years ?

I've read that some vaccines aren't even effective against whatever they are supposed to prevent.

What is the 'high dose' flu shot ? Clue me in here. Who knows what kind of shot to get when the experts don't even know what type of flu will be most prevalent in any given year ?

Take Care & keep well, everybody !  Robot Very Happy

Sandee2

Message 25 of 42 (1,938 Views)

Hi, Gail !

I respect your views & opinions, & you may be right about getting vaccines.

Have you noticed how many parents of young children are refusing to vaccinate their children ?

Has it ever been proven that vaccines don't  cause autism or other issues ?

I don't advise others on what I think they should do..to each his own !

I have some concerns about contagious diseases this country has never had a problem with before the influx of immigrants. Then there's the lax  of security in our own labs and the real possibility of a spread of who-knows-what as a result of this lapse.

I'm going to find a forum with some postive outlooks ! Maybe recipes ??  Smiley Happy

Sandee2

Message 26 of 42 (1,925 Views)

Just wondering - does Medicare pay for the second pneumonia shot? My doc recommended the first so that was done a few years ago. Had the shingles vaccine and had to pay a bit but I am not sure if it was necessary or will be effective because I did have a bout of shingles previous to the shot. My doc loaded me up with the correct meds for shingles but it still was not a fun experience and I want to avoid a repeat.

Right now I am trying to find some place close by that carries the high dose flu shot for seniors.

Chris

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 42 (1,899 Views)

Fine, ASTRAEA , that is your peragative but others might not restrict themselves and all I am saying is that other people and dealings with them have to be apart of the consideration and the decision.

Remember that with some diseases, they are contagious before feeling really sick.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 42 (1,898 Views)

@GailL1 - It just gets a little heavy handed here, especially when there are pointed comments hoping people don't get something .. almost like a threat, because they haven't gotten a vaccination.

I can't remember the last time I had the flu, I haven't been getting vaccines, and don't intend to unless something changes for me. And when I am sick, the only place I'd go if it was really bad, is the doctor's office.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 29 of 42 (1,905 Views)

it is fine to be courteous and try not to spread around the flu but when the flu could cause the death of someone else, that courtesy becomes much more of a priority.

Same is true for many of the immunizations - some of them protect you from getting it,  others protect not only us but also to keep us from spreading it to someone with a weakened immune system.

People can do whatever they want but when it comes to protection of the public, their choice in the matter could result in some type of exclusion - like kids getting the measles vaccine, if not, no public school or daycare,etc.

Healthcare workers especially when they work with the elderly are forced immunized if they want to keep their job because some diseases spread like wildfire in this type of environment.

too bad we don't have a vaccine for the common cold.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 42 (1,910 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

ss11943859

If you are on Medicare, thanks for saving us money but if you come down with something contagious, it would be nice if you don't spread it around.

Hope you don't get a bad case or shingles or anything else.

Would you give the same advice to parents of small children?  

Would you give the same advice to parents of adolescents or young adults about the meningitis vaccine?

It's fine to encourage people to get treatment in which you believe, but it gets to be off-putting, when you keep posting that if people get something contagious because they haven't gotten vaccines .. not to spread it around.

I can't begin to tell you what % of colds I've gotten, were due to people who had them & coughed/sneezed all over. All you can do is hope people are courteous, and move away from them quickly. Bashing people is a turn-off.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!