The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: OUCH ! ! ! Have You Gotten All of Your Vaccinations and Immunizations ?

Message 11 of 42 (1,979 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I have only gotten tetanus shots 3 times, since my late teens, once when a bottle of nitric acid cracked & splashed  my legs in chemistry lab in the early 1970s, in the early 1990s when I was bitten by a raccoon, and about 4 years ago when I was bitten by a cat a friend was fostering. Three different doctors, and none every suggested I get booster shots, in between the times I actually needed needed a tetanus shot.

For many years only a booster is given if you have ever had it before.   Td is a tetanus-diphtheria vaccine given to adolescents and adults as a booster shot every 10 years, or after an exposure to tetanus under some circumstances. Tdap is similar to Td but also containing protection against pertussis.

There use to be a Tetanus Toxiod booster - given to people who had already had the main Tetanus vaccine in their earlier childhood - nowadays, this seems to be in the Td (Tetanus-diphtheria) vaccine mixture - the toxiods for both are given..

For people who do not know if they have ever had a Tetanus vaccine of any sort - with or with out all the other ones, i.e. Tdap, Td, they can give a tetanus immune globulin (TIG).

The CDC now recommends it this way: Tdap for everyghing.  (Tdap is the Tetanus, diptheria and pertussis vaccine)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/DTaP-Td-DT/tdap.htm

On October 27, 2010, the ACIP voted to recommend:

1. use of Tdap regardless of interval since the last tetanus or diphtheria containing vaccine,
  2. use of Tdap in certain adults ages 65 and older, and
  3. use of Tdap in under-vaccinated children ages 7 through 10 years. 

On June 22, 2011, the ACIP voted to recommend:

1. that women's health-care personnel implement a Tdap vaccination program for pregnant women who previously have not received Tdap. Health-care personnel should administer Tdap during pregnancy, preferably during the third or late second trimester (after 20 weeks gestation). If not administered during pregnancy, Tdap should be administered immediately postpartum.
  2. that adolescents and adults (e.g., parents, siblings, grandparents, child-care providers, and health-care personnel) who have or anticipate having close contact with an infant aged <12 months should receive a single dose of Tdap to protect against pertussis if they have not previously received Tdap. Ideally, these adolescents and adults should receive Tdap at least 2 weeks before beginning close contact with the infant.

On February 22, 2012, the ACIP voted to recommend use of Tdap in all adults aged 65 years and older.

On October 24, 2012, the ACIP voted to recommend that health-care personnel should administer a dose of Tdap during each pregnancy irrespective of the patient's prior history of receiving Tdap. Optimal timing for Tdap administration is at 27 through 36 weeks gestation.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 42 (1,955 Views)
AARPLynne wrote:

A few years back, I was part of a group of people who helped a friend with an old-fashioned barn raising (except theirs was a steel structure). I saw a doctor after I accidentally sliced my leg on a piece of steel rebar at the construction site. With regard to having a current a tetanus shot, the doctor at the time said a good rule of thumb is if you can't remember when you had your last shot (which was the case with me) that it was time for a booster. And because I also spend a lot of time outdoors, I plan to stay up-to-date with the shot.

I have only gotten tetanus shots 3 times, since my late teens, once when a bottle of nitric acid cracked & splashed  my legs in chemistry lab in the early 1970s, in the early 1990s when I was bitten by a raccoon, and about 4 years ago when I was bitten by a cat a friend was fostering. Three different doctors, and none every suggested I get booster shots, in between the times I actually needed needed a tetanus shot.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Message 13 of 42 (2,012 Views)

A few years back, I was part of a group of people who helped a friend with an old-fashioned barn raising (except theirs was a steel structure). I saw a doctor after I accidentally sliced my leg on a piece of steel rebar at the construction site. With regard to having a current a tetanus shot, the doctor at the time said a good rule of thumb is if you can't remember when you had your last shot (which was the case with me) that it was time for a booster. And because I also spend a lot of time outdoors, I plan to stay up-to-date with the shot.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 42 (2,037 Views)

I am sure there is always some pros and cons, ASTRAEA - guess everybody has to decide on their own and accept whatever might be the outcome.

Message 15 of 42 (2,035 Views)

Check this out about Flu Shots .. another perspective:

11-reasons why flu shots are more dangerous than the flu

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 42 (2,008 Views)

drawpoker wrote:

Gail,  to repeat what I posted in the thread in the political folder a while back when this very same thing came up about the shingles vaccine  -   

It is utterly amazing to me that any reputable oncologist treating a woman for breast cancer would fail to impress upon her the importance of getting the shingles vaccine a.s.a.p. 

Or is it just possible the doc did their job to warn the patient,  and some people are just too dense to have it sink in?

What's the answer,   Gail?    I'm not getting it.

Actually, not all vaccines are recommended for those undergoing cancer treatment.  

Most oncologist will recommend some of them before starting treatment and certain ones during treatment course as a preventive measure - like the annual flu vaccination and one or maybe both  of the pneumonia vaccines.

Any vaccine using a live virus is usually avoided.  And the shingles vaccine - Zostavax - is a live vaccine.

Here is a good reference of the research and current type standards  but of course a discussion should be had with the in-charge oncologist.

Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology - 2010
Vaccination Recommendations for the Hematology and Oncology and Post–Stem Cell Transplant Populations

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4093304/

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 42 (1,888 Views)

Yes, retiredtraveler, shingles is covered under Medicare Part D, so I assume the price is whatever they consider your part of the deal.

I did pay $ 250 because I had to get it my my doc's office - don't ask, extenuating circumstances were at play.  I then filed with my Part D carrier and was reimbursed after about a year going back and forth, but in the end, I did win.  

Still worth the the hassle and the expense when you think about the potential of a bad case of shingles.  At least, that is my opinion, for myself.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 42 (1,894 Views)

"....make sure cause some vaccines, like shingles, are covered under Part D....".

For what it's worth --- my local drug store, which gives all vaccinations, says Shingles will cost $90. Without Part D, it would be something like $250 (don't recall exact amount).

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 19 of 42 (1,898 Views)
drawpoker wrote:
Gail,  to repeat what I posted in the thread in the political folder a while back when this very same thing came up about the shingles vaccine  -   

It is utterly amazing to me that any reputable oncologist treating a woman for breast cancer would fail to impress upon her the importance of getting the shingles vaccine a.s.a.p. 

Or is it just possible the doc did their job to warn the patient,  and some people are just too dense to have it sink in?

At what medical school did you get your MD?

I am seeing several very "reputable oncologists", and none of them have discussed vaccines with me; maybe because THEY didn't think that shingles had anything to do with my type of breast cancer. What I found online now is that "older persons who have cancer—specifically people who have so-called blood cancers, including leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma—are at a higher risk of developing shingles than the same age population that doesn't have cancer."

You might also consider saying that you disagree with another person's choice of treatment, instead of calling them "too dense to have it sink in."

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 42 (1,905 Views)