AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: OUCH ! ! ! Have You Gotten All of Your Vaccinations and Immunizations ?

Message 1 of 42 (606 Views)

I had chicken pox as a kid, and a mild case of shingles some years ago. I have never had a flu shot, won't get one either. For what-ever reason, flu doesn't scare me. IT may be scared of ME-I haven't had flu in so many years, I can't remember when ! Woman LOL

I'm healthy now ( in my 70's ), but as a child I caught every cold, sinus infection, earache & flu bug that came along. Did all that *&^% build up immunity ??  Ok ; at my age, I guess I'll just sit it out, wait for the 'big one' to hit ! 

Hope everyone's having a good summer-I love summer !  Heart

Sandee2
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 42 (641 Views)

@retiredtraveler - I had chickenpox as a kid, and I haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, nor do I intend to. Don't get flu shots either, nor have I had the flu in years .. minor colds yes, but no flu.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 42 (644 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Some of the shots are controversial. One can argue what is 'needed'. My doc doesn't recommend flu shots. If I want to go out and get one, fine. But, as he states, the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' at what strain of flu will go around for that year. Sometimes, it's wrong and you got a shot for nothing.

There is some controversy about Shingles vaccine too. My understanding is that the older you get, the less effective it is. And, again, my doc doesn't do them as he states that he only treats a couple of people a year that get Shingles to the point they are really in discomfort. He thinks there is more risk in getting the shot, then not.

Perhaps he is wrong?  

While you are correct in the fact that yearly flu shots might not cover you for every strain that could emerge (but I think they do a pretty good job of forcasting and preparation), many still need to get them to protect others especially if you are living in close proximity to someone who could be largely adversely affected by getting the flu - caregivers, those who work in hospitals, assisted living or nursing facilities, caring for young children, etc.  You do not want to be in a senior living facility with an outbreak of the flu - it is awful.

People who are sick or weak definitely need to check with their doctor before getting any immunizations.  Depending upon their condition, the doc could rule either way or he may see a difference in whether the immunization is live or dead.

I've seen people who are in the throws of shingles and because of that, I got one at the recommendation of my doc.  Again you are right that it is not 100% effective for everybody. 

Sometimes it might be because the live virus was not given stored or given properly - it has to be maintained in storage to just the right temp,  thawed to just the right time/temp before administering and then it has to be given subcutaneously, not IM.

I also got my Tdap updated before my last grandkid was born since there was several cases of pertussis emerging in the area and I knew it had been many, many years since I last had one.

I've had both pneumoccal vaccines - these protect you from about 20 - 30+ different viral strains then of course, the bacterial type can still get to you but these can be kept down by clean habits and of course, not aspirating.

I guess I got in the habit of keeping these vaccinations up to date when I was a nurse, then a caregiver to my mom in her later years, being around her and others in her senior living environment and husband when he had cancer.

Everybody has to make their own choice with hopefully their docs feedback.  I think your doc might be in the minority in his advice - but you picked him so I assume you think he does a fine job.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 42 (652 Views)

I just wish AARP would produce a list of NEEDED shots so that we'd all have something to work off of.

Some of the shots are controversial. One can argue what is 'needed'. My doc doesn't recommend flu shots. If I want to go out and get one, fine. But, as he states, the flu vaccine is a 'best guess' at what strain of flu will go around for that year. Sometimes, it's wrong and you got a shot for nothing.

There is some controversy about Shingles vaccine too. My understanding is that the older you get, the less effective it is. And, again, my doc doesn't do them as he states that he only treats a couple of people a year that get Shingles to the point they are really in discomfort. He thinks there is more risk in getting the shot, then not.

Perhaps he is wrong?  

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 42 (667 Views)

Here is the CDC's 2017 recommended list of immunizations for adults by age.

CDC 2017 List of Recommended Immunizations for adults by age

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 42 (713 Views)

The very same thing was said by a friend of mine who recently passed after fighting a bout with the flu. He and I met at our VA, who offers FREE shots each and every year to veterans with medical conditions. He'd always decline the shot, and I gratefully accepts them. 

I just wish AARP would produce a list of NEEDED shots so that we'd all have something to work off of.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 42 (1,993 Views)

I've read all that info on vaccinations too, Info Seeker, & I agree............don't do that !

It's a scam involving the medical profession & pharmas. I did get a pneumonia shot ( first one ever), but otherwise, guess I'll stock up on Vit.C, adding to the D3. By the way, isn't that amount you're taking a bit excessive ? Couldn't there be a danger of overdose ?

I try to take care of myself & hope for the best !

I wish everybody reading this a healthy winter season !  Woman Very Happy

Sandee2
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 42 (2,037 Views)
ew8517 wrote:
I take 5000iu of D3 a day and several thousand iu of vitamin C.

That's a very high dosage of D3; is there a reason for such a high dosage? Do you have osteoporosis or osteopenia? Do you know what the vitamin D level is in your blood? My vitamin D level was very low, so my doctor had me at 50K IU/week, until it came up; now he's dropped it to 2K IU/day.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 42 (2,041 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 42 (2,043 Views)
I doubt if you will print this for I am against any vaccination that has toxic mind altering material in it. The flu vaccines have mercury in them. I recently read that people who get annual flu vaccines have a 25% increased risk of getting Alzheimer's. Aluminum which is also in many vaccinations also is a substance that is toxic and can effect the mind. Brains of people with dementia and/or Alzheimer's have an un-ordinary amount of aluminum which like Mercury, the body does not know how to get rid of. I have not gotten a flu shot or the flu for as long as I can remember. I take 5000iu of D3 a day and several thousand iu of vitamin C. Many vaccinations do not work! A recent outbreak of Measles was traced back to a woman who had had two Measles vaccinations. The CDC recently admitted that the Measles vaccination increased the risk for people of color to become Autistic. Polio and Whooping caugh vaccination also don't work. Peanut allergies did not become prevalent until they started using peanut oil in the vaccinations. Anyone that recommends these poisons usually is getting some kind of kickback from Big Pharma. If you get the toxins out and can prove that they actually give lifetime immunity like you get from getting the sickness which seldom is a problem, then I might reconsider. By the way there are a number of different types of pneumonia and the vaccine probably will not protect you from the type you will get. Big Pharms could care less if you get an adverse reaction to any of their drugs for they have another pill to give you for that. I don't know which is worse. The vaccination pushing drug makers or the chemo and radiation providers for cancer. There usually is a homeopathic remedy that will cure your sickness without adverse side effects. Olive Leaf tincture will cure about a hundred different illnesses including Ebola but doctors don't recommend it for they can't get rich that way. Pleas e excus e the typos and misspelling. I am using a cell phone.