The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: No Silver Sneakers in some states -- UHC AARP

Message 1 of 5 (1,273 Views)

deegeewhy wrote:

I live in Oregon and recently became eligible for Medicare.  Purchase Plan F Medigap from AARP United Healthcare, but don't seem to be able to get Silver Sneakers.  Previous poster to this forum suggested that it IS available in Oregon.

So .. which is it?   Can I get Silver Sneakers with AARP UNC Plan F in Oregon, or not ?

Go to the Silver Sneaker website plan locator page, put in your state and it will give you a list of all the Medicare plans ( both Medicare Medigap plans, if any, and Medicare Advantage plans)  which offer the Silver Sneaker program.

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans?state=IL

Very few Medicare Medigap plans (supplemental plans) offer the Silver Sneakers program.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 5 (1,318 Views)

I live in Oregon and recently became eligible for Medicare.  Purchase Plan F Medigap from AARP United Healthcare, but don't seem to be able to get Silver Sneakers.  Previous poster to this forum suggested that it IS available in Oregon.

So .. which is it?   Can I get Silver Sneakers with AARP UNC Plan F in Oregon, or not ?

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 5 (1,653 Views)

My brother called UHC / AARP and was told that it was valid in the 3 states I mentioned.   He has been using UHC/AARP medigap for years.   When I called them, I didn't get into where it was offered, but was definitely told not in Washington State.

Fortunately I've found that our local senior center has a weight/cardio room which I can use with an annual membership fee of $40, plus a one-time $60 charge for a 15-session hands-on course covering the use of the various machines.

Randy
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5 (1,661 Views)

Indianrock wrote:

I'm curious why United Health Care / AARP Medigap would offer Silver Sneakers in some states but not in others?   Apparently the deal is available in California, Oregon and Nevada, but not my home state of Washington.

It would be nice if you could provide a source for your information.

According to the SilverSneakers Medicare Health Plan locator,

SilverSneakers Medicare Health Plan locator by state

in those states and others, the only plans which come up which are supplied by AARP/UHC are Medicare Complete plans which are Medicare Advantage plans NOT Medigap plans.

I can find NO CURRENTLY OFFERED AARP Medicare Supplemental  (Medigap) plans by United Healthcare in any state which offers the SilverSneakers benefit - 

You maybe right but without a stated source - who knows - seems this is very confusing but it is UHC that controls the plans NOT AARP.  UHC with the affiliation of AARP sells both Supplemental (Medigap) plans and Medicare Advantage plans.  A special benefit like SilverSneakers can be purchased with plans when it is specified - continuous coverage as long as you don't change or drop a supplemental (Medigap) plan but annually offered under Medicare Advantage plans since these types of benefits (MA) are offered annually and can change in benefit design annually.

Another thing which you might find somewhat amusing - if you buy a supplemental plan (Medigap) in your state - if you move to another state, you can most likely still use the same plan - course your plan would then most likely have premiums based on your new resident state rules.

Medicare.gov - Medigap plans - What If I Move Out of State

From the link:

You can keep your current Medigap policy regardless of where you live as long as you still have Original Medicare. If you want to switch to a different Medigap policy, you'll have to check with your current or new insurance company to see if they'll offer you a different policy.

If you decide to switch, you may have to pay more for your new Medigap policy. You may also have to answer some medical questions if you're buying a Medigap policy outside of your Medigap open enrollment period.

So I wonder why we  could not buy a Medigap plan anywhere in the country?

Course, the SilverSneakers benefit is not a benefit that is regulated by the government so it most likely would not go with the plan if you move from one state to another state.

Gold Conversationalist

No Silver Sneakers in some states -- UHC AARP

Message 5 of 5 (1,684 Views)

I'm curious why United Health Care / AARP Medigap would offer Silver Sneakers in some states but not in others?   Apparently the deal is available in California, Oregon and Nevada, but not my home state of Washington.

Randy