Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Next Time You See Your Doctor . . . .

Message 1 of 6 (295 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Ask him what he thinks of a Single Payer Health Care System for the U.S.

My Primary doesn't like it but he is just one -

Just consider this an unofficial poll of your docs views.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have. He and his practice (15 Dr.) like it. They think it needs improvement and it does. I also asked the President of our local Hospital at an event we both attended. He likes it, and it has grown the business the Hospital does. They have expanded into another nearby State because of it. The medical business in our rural area is now the largest employer and growing. A lot of new Practices have opened, and all have grown so it would seem they are all doing well. Now we did expand Medicaid and that seems to have been a big driver of what happened. GA did not do that and it is paying the price. This is what happens when you elect people like our now Health Sec.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6 (310 Views)

MaVolta

I really don't know what kind of system could be designed that is affordable - we have HIGH health care cost regardless of the plan or regardless of the payer.

My purpose with this post was to do like you said "Whatever happens with health care reform, it seems that providers need to be a bigger part of the discussion than in the past.. . . . . "

I know what some groups of doctors have said - AMA, PNHP, etc. but I thought it might be beneficial to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak - what your particular doctor thinks. 

One thing for sure - they would have to take a pay cut or be paid by some other criteria than fee for service, most likely.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6 (322 Views)

It's the great conundrum. . .who decides what health care providers are paid? Private insurance or Medicare or Medicaid via government policies? While the providers may get to negotiate to point, there is still some entity deciding what they will pay, and whatever might be left for the consumer to pay. It's also been stated on the forum that Medicare is not truly a single payer system. They pay their part, and you or your insurance company picks up the rest. 

Whatever happens with health care reform, it seems that providers need to be a bigger part of the discussion than in the past. Insurance companies have dominated the conversation too long, IMO.

Wouldn't it be possible to reform Medicare into a better system for providers (e.g. use of co-pays?) extend it to the general population, and allow people to buy supplemental insurance for whatever level of coverage they choose or not? That would be my question.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (331 Views)

Sure, ReTiReD51, we can ask them about that too if you want -

Most of them know what they get paid via private insurance contract for whatever plans they take -

They also know what rates they are paid via Medicare, if they take it - they know that there is always some scheme to reduce this pay, one way or another.

and Medicaid, again if they take it - which has the lowest rate of reimbursement.

That may have a big impact on what they perceive as a  (some) single payer plan.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6 (340 Views)

And why you’re at it ask your doctor what they think about insurance sales people, executives and insurance administrators making a higher salary than them.  An insurance sales person with a high school diploma can earn a higher salary than a highly trained doctor with 8 years plus higher education.

A single payer program similar to Medicare administer by the federal government would lead to lower costs because insurance industry profits would play less of a role in rising prices. No insurance middleman should stand between you and your healthcare provider.

I’d rather see my doctor benefit with a higher salary than the insurance salesperson.

Valued Social Butterfly

Next Time You See Your Doctor . . . .

Message 6 of 6 (351 Views)

Ask him what he thinks of a Single Payer Health Care System for the U.S.

My Primary doesn't like it but he is just one -

Just consider this an unofficial poll of your docs views.