Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

My current insurance is thru my retired husband's last employer - I turn 65 in Dec 2023

Contributor

My current insurance is thru my retired husband's last employer - I turn 65 in Dec 2023

I'm going to automatically be enrolled in my husband's retirement Medicare Advantage Plan provided by his company where he used to be employed...He's been on the Medicare Advantage Plan and collecting SS for over 3 years.

I am wondering what I need to do in order to sign up for Medicare since I turn 65 in Dec 2023, it wasn't clear if my current health plan was included as part of my retired husband's Health Plan until I turn 65, and  I will automatically be transferred from my current health plan to the same Medicare Advantage Plan my spouse is on... just wondering how that works in this type scenario.. I plan continue to work till 66 or 66.8 Months, and since automatic will use my husband's Medicare Advantage Plan when I turn 65.

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@proudtxmema Medicare Advantage Plans vary as they are private company plans, but most, if not all require that you are signed up for Medicare Parts A & B.

My wife and I signed up for Medicare Parts A & B shortly before I retired and found we should have signed up earlier - it took close to three months to get Medicare processed by Social Security.

We could not sign up for Medicare Advantage until Medicare Parts A & B were in place, so we went a couple of months without coverage.

With your birthday in December, I strongly recommend you get signed up NOW (you can request start date of December).

Specific to your husband's Medicare Advantage plan, you'll have to read the fine print. There's a decent chance that company has a Medicare person who can help with questions - be sure to contact them and ask about requirements as you turn 65 and any differences between your husband's plan and yours (could be different if he's sponsored by his previous employer).

Wishing you luck and good health!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

@proudtxmema Medicare Advantage Plans vary as they are private company plans, but most, if not all require that you are signed up for Medicare Parts A & B.

My wife and I signed up for Medicare Parts A & B shortly before I retired and found we should have signed up earlier - it took close to three months to get Medicare processed by Social Security.

We could not sign up for Medicare Advantage until Medicare Parts A & B were in place, so we went a couple of months without coverage.

With your birthday in December, I strongly recommend you get signed up NOW (you can request start date of December).

Specific to your husband's Medicare Advantage plan, you'll have to read the fine print. There's a decent chance that company has a Medicare person who can help with questions - be sure to contact them and ask about requirements as you turn 65 and any differences between your husband's plan and yours (could be different if he's sponsored by his previous employer).

Wishing you luck and good health!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP