Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: supplement insurance

Message 1 of 8

Barbara,

You need to edit your post to remove your N & A and phone number - this is a public forum sponsored by AARP - you need to contact the insurer for your questions.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Insurance plans are issued by United Healthcare Insurance Company, not by AARP.

AARP Medicare Supplemental Plans insured by UHC

There is a contact number at the top of the page to contact an agent.

Note the bottom of the page, it says:

AARP endorses the AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans, insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company. UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company pays royalty fees to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. AARP and its affiliates are not insurers. AARP does not employ or endorse agents, brokers or producers.

You must be an AARP member to enroll in an AARP Medicare Supplement Plan Insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Horsham, PA

. . . . In some states, plans may be available to persons under age 65 who are eligible for Medicare by reason of disability or End-Stage Renal Disease.

Not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. Government or the federal Medicare program.

This is a solicitation of insurance. A licensed insurance agent/producer may contact you.

THESE PLANS HAVE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS. FOR COSTS AND COMPLETE DETAILS (INCLUDING OUTLINES OF COVERAGE),

CALL A LICENSED INSURANCE AGENT/PRODUCER AT THE TOLL-FREE NUMBER SHOWN.

Don't know when you sent in your application and check or where - did you work with one of their agents? Depending upon your specific situation, your application has to be reviewed for eligibility requirements.
Medicare.gov - When to Buy Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) policy and other Medigap info

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: supplement insurance

Message 2 of 8

I sent in application with my check as requested. Check was deposted and I have not heard further. I needed suppliment to be effective 12-1, was I scamed by you and do I have a suppliment to my medicare. No one have gotten back to me other than a automated call. I can't afford not being without a suppliment and I can't afford someone taking $280 out of my pocket.

** personal information removed due to privacy and terms of service **

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Medicare eligible, over 60 but not yet 65

Message 3 of 8

d530350r wrote:

Yes, that is correct. She already stated that she is eligible for Medicare in her subject line.

If that is what she meant - on SSDI for 24 months - Medicare eligible then you are right - she must be trying to find a Medigap (Supplemental) plans.  You are right they are only offered in some states and in many states they only offer one particular plan, not a selection.

However, when the disabled person on Medicare turns 65, they can then pick up a Medigap plans during Medigap open enrollment because they have guaranteed issue rights at that time just like anybody else.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 8

Yes, that is correct. She already stated that she is eligible for Medicare in her subject line.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8

d530350r wrote:

HI there,  in some states insurance companies are not required to offer Medigap plans to people under 65. However, you can still look into AARP's Medicare Advantage plans in your state.

Only if she is 65 years old or has been on SSDI for 24 months.

There is no other way to get Medicare benefits.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 8

HI there,  in some states insurance companies are not required to offer Medigap plans to people under 65. However, you can still look into AARP's Medicare Advantage plans in your state.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8

Why does it not make sense - they are Medicare plans.

Either they are Medicare Advantage plans which are just another way to get the MEDICARE benefits or they are Medigap (supplemental) plans that only work with original Medicare.

To get Medicare, a person must either be

• 65 years old and have worked long enough to be vested or is the spouse of someone who is vested   OR
  • Be declared Disabled by the SSA and have been receiving SS Disability for 24 months.

AARP does not sell insurance products - they lend their name and affiliation to United Healthcare for the marketing of MEDICAREmplans (described above) for which they receive a bounty.

Info Seeker

Medicare eligible, over 60 but not yet 65

Message 8 of 8

My insurance broker told me that the AARP Medicare plans are not available to anyone under age 65. This doesn't make any sense to me. Someone please tell me this is wrong.