Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Medicare Part A and B

Message 1 of 8 (536 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

john258

Per Medicare.gov

Medicare.gov - State Health Insurance Assistance Programs

" State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs)

SHIPs offer local, personalized counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families. SHIPs can help you with things like:

Your Medicare questions, including your benefits, coverage, premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance
Complaints and appeals
Joining or leaving a Medicare Advantage Plan (like an HMO or PPO), any other Medicare health plan, or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D)

Find contact information for your state's SHIP 

Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Program Locator - Contact

Per AARP

AARP - What is the role of the SHIP program

All you had to do was refer him to a local expert and let them handle it. He had a number of questions they should handle. After I read your answer I was confused. You even said to him you had problems sorting out what he was asking. You could have given him the reading material and suggested he read it then see a local expert. Really simple and would have helped him get the help he needed.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (549 Views)

john258

Per Medicare.gov

Medicare.gov - State Health Insurance Assistance Programs

" State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs)

SHIPs offer local, personalized counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families. SHIPs can help you with things like:

Your Medicare questions, including your benefits, coverage, premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance
Complaints and appeals
Joining or leaving a Medicare Advantage Plan (like an HMO or PPO), any other Medicare health plan, or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D)

Find contact information for your state's SHIP 

Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Program Locator - Contact

Per AARP

AARP - What is the role of the SHIP program

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 8 (563 Views)

I contarcted the SSA about the credits I had this morning again and clicked the like that was given and i called and got the same response, they are no longer there. I was told by a woman at both places that some how from back in 1981 it shows now that some credits were indeed placed on my dad's file by a typo or a misunderstanding and they would have to go by what is shown. I also was ask do I remember where I worked from 1980 to 82 and i told them yes i was a guard for Burns International and she said it shows that your dad worked there and not you but it shows credits during those two years and she called them up and was told after they checked back that I did work for them and not my dad. Back to where someone posted that I did not say, am I working now, No iI have been disabled since 1977 but did work, paid in credits and all but truely I'm not going to worry over them. The SSA here doesn't help the people as they should and I found out when I called this morning that the woman who my dad talked to back then as well when he retired was his cousin and mine as well and from the county where he lived as well as the woman and all my family there turned on me in 1974 so I told SSA that I would not bother them again and let it be. I want to thank everyone for their replies to this and i should have not posted this and wouldn't have if i knew about the woman he seen down here.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (568 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

john258

I gave efbaker51 links to the Medicare program site that answers the questions AND I referred them to their states SHIP which is the "local expert" AND I showed exactly how to find them. 

I told  them to contact their employer if their current plan was with them to find  if and how the plan might work with Medicare.

AARP local or national office would give them the same information as to how to contact Medicare/ Social Security or State SHIP; depending upon their dilemma.

You did not give him all the information. You gave him no information about how what you told him relates to his local area. You needed to send him to a local expert who would have contacted all the dots for him. There is no one national answer, there are only local answers. No one should give advice on Insurance and that is why States by law say you can not. Only someone licensed by the State can give advice and that makes sure people are not hurt.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 8 (580 Views)

john258

I gave efbaker51 links to the Medicare program site that answers the questions AND I referred them to their states SHIP which is the "local expert" AND I showed exactly how to find them. 

I told  them to contact their employer if their current plan was with them to find  if and how the plan might work with Medicare.

AARP local or national office would give them the same information as to how to contact Medicare/ Social Security or State SHIP; depending upon their dilemma.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8 (610 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

efbaker51 wrote:

I have 22 months before i turn the ripe old age of 65 and i would like to know if anyone that will read this, give me a true answer. I have United Health Care insurance now and i have 13 credit hours with the SSA told me and i had a total of 27 in 1980. i was informed that they messed up with them and my dad that i never lived with got the other 14 credits and they cannot do anything about it and really i'm not worried about them. My question is, when i do turn 65 that can i just stick with UHC insurance and not take the Medicare parts A and B? I just do not like the way things are handled by it and my wife which has both parts that all they pay for is her medicine now and nothing else that the doctor say's she needs but she is always being turned down on the help she needs after almost losing her life because of a heart attack back in 15 and still have them several times a year and no way to call for help if she needs it. 

Your post is a bit hard to understand but I will answer as best I can.

If you were born in 1954, your full retirement age is 66 - that is for Social Security.  If you were born in 1955, your full retirement age is 66 + 2-months.  So if you want to try longer to find those missing "credits" you have time - try to wait until your full retirement age to retire cause if not, your benefit is reduced.

Read More about this here - Social Security - Retirement Planner - Full Retirement Age

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security that might help you locate those missing "credits":

Social Security: How to Correct Your Social Security Earnings Record

Now on to Medicare - yes, you do have to register for Medicare at age 65. 

Medicare Part A is called Hospital Insurance (HI) and this is the part of the benefit which you have paid into during your working career.  So this part is free - meaning no premiums.

You did not say if you were still working and if this UHC plan is an employer plan.  If it is, your employer will tell you how it works - they usually have a special deal where Medicare pays some and you pay some.  You must check with your Human Resources person if the plan you have now is thru your employer.

If it is an individual health plan, they probably will not let you keep it when you become eligible for Medicare.

Part B is Supplemental Medical Insurance (SMI) - doctors, medical equipment, etc.  It is paid by monthly premiums - everybody has to pay them - if you are very low income, there is financial help available, but you have to qualify for it.

When you go on Medicare - you have some choices as to how you want to receive your benefit.

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security on Medicare - what it is, generally how it work with all the different parts and the decision you will have to make as to how you want to get your benefits -

Traditional Medicare( with or without a Medigap plan) or via a Medicare Advantage Plan -

in addition you will have to decide on what Prescription Drug Plan you need.

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security on Medicare with a lot of information.

Social Security - Medicare

It does get complicated - your state probably probably has a SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) person to help you.  This Medicare site will give you their contact info in your state.  Medicare - Locate Your State Insurance Assistance Program To Get Answers

As to your wife's situation - sounds like you need to talk to someone in your state about her Medicare benefits - perhaps Medicare themselves or possibly the SHIP counselor could direct you to your states dept. of aging.

Medicare - Contact Information and Websites

Medicare does have a good website but it is a rather complicated (big) program but this intro page might also be of some benefit in answering your concerns.

Medicare.gov

Good Luck ~

Here is a suggestion to efbaker. You should contact a local expert before you do anything to get good advice. If you do not know a local expert contact AARP State Office as they can direct you. Never take any advice from anyone in here as your full guide. I had a poster give me advice in here that if I had followed it would have cost me over $1,000 a year. Get to a local expert.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (653 Views)

efbaker51 wrote:

I have 22 months before i turn the ripe old age of 65 and i would like to know if anyone that will read this, give me a true answer. I have United Health Care insurance now and i have 13 credit hours with the SSA told me and i had a total of 27 in 1980. i was informed that they messed up with them and my dad that i never lived with got the other 14 credits and they cannot do anything about it and really i'm not worried about them. My question is, when i do turn 65 that can i just stick with UHC insurance and not take the Medicare parts A and B? I just do not like the way things are handled by it and my wife which has both parts that all they pay for is her medicine now and nothing else that the doctor say's she needs but she is always being turned down on the help she needs after almost losing her life because of a heart attack back in 15 and still have them several times a year and no way to call for help if she needs it. 

Your post is a bit hard to understand but I will answer as best I can.

If you were born in 1954, your full retirement age is 66 - that is for Social Security.  If you were born in 1955, your full retirement age is 66 + 2-months.  So if you want to try longer to find those missing "credits" you have time - try to wait until your full retirement age to retire cause if not, your benefit is reduced.

Read More about this here - Social Security - Retirement Planner - Full Retirement Age

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security that might help you locate those missing "credits":

Social Security: How to Correct Your Social Security Earnings Record

Now on to Medicare - yes, you do have to register for Medicare at age 65. 

Medicare Part A is called Hospital Insurance (HI) and this is the part of the benefit which you have paid into during your working career.  So this part is free - meaning no premiums.

You did not say if you were still working and if this UHC plan is an employer plan.  If it is, your employer will tell you how it works - they usually have a special deal where Medicare pays some and you pay some.  You must check with your Human Resources person if the plan you have now is thru your employer.

If it is an individual health plan, they probably will not let you keep it when you become eligible for Medicare.

Part B is Supplemental Medical Insurance (SMI) - doctors, medical equipment, etc.  It is paid by monthly premiums - everybody has to pay them - if you are very low income, there is financial help available, but you have to qualify for it.

When you go on Medicare - you have some choices as to how you want to receive your benefit.

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security on Medicare - what it is, generally how it work with all the different parts and the decision you will have to make as to how you want to get your benefits -

Traditional Medicare( with or without a Medigap plan) or via a Medicare Advantage Plan -

in addition you will have to decide on what Prescription Drug Plan you need.

Here is a pamphlet from Social Security on Medicare with a lot of information.

Social Security - Medicare

It does get complicated - your state probably probably has a SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) person to help you.  This Medicare site will give you their contact info in your state.  Medicare - Locate Your State Insurance Assistance Program To Get Answers

As to your wife's situation - sounds like you need to talk to someone in your state about her Medicare benefits - perhaps Medicare themselves or possibly the SHIP counselor could direct you to your states dept. of aging.

Medicare - Contact Information and Websites

Medicare does have a good website but it is a rather complicated (big) program but this intro page might also be of some benefit in answering your concerns.

Medicare.gov

Good Luck ~

Info Seeker

Medicare Part A and B

Message 8 of 8 (669 Views)