Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Medicare Enrollment Facts You Need to Know

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 10 (7,946 Views)
ls7512639
Yes the state he lives in makes a difference since Medigap plans are offered by state and the specific rules of the state.

Your friend can speak to a reputable Medicare insurance broker in your area about coverage eligibility and specific policies. And/or you can search on the Medicare website by zip code. Here is the link:

http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/medigap-home.aspx

Since your friend is on Medicare because of a disability and I assume is not yet 65 years of age, you might just do some education on the variances in the Medigap plans that are governed by state law. In some states, Medigap (Medicare supplemental policy) plans are not offered to those less than 65 years of age.

http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/how-medicare-works-with-other-insurance/how-medic...

Follow all the links on the left of the Medicare Medigap link above to learn about the coverage.
Good Luck and the best to your friend.

Info Seeker +

Message 2 of 10 (7,951 Views)

I just joined AARP today while searching for Supplemental Medicare Insurance for my fiance.  He has Medicare A, B and D (SilverScrpt) and has been using Medicaid with a spend down of $500.00 per month.  Medical bills etc have been enough the last few months to cover the spend down but now he doesn't have any remaining bills to cover it.  And taking $500 per month out of his Social Security Disability check is not doable. He has been taking chemo treatments for several months and needs to undergo more chemo but without a Supplemental insurance he can not afford the treatment.  I had been told that AARP Medicare Supplemental was a very good policy.  At the hospital where he has gotten his chemo, the insurance person for the cancer center also told me AARP was one of the first places to look but said to stay away for United Healthcare! I was very surprised to find the company I should stay away from is the company AARP deals with. I have read nothing but negative comments in the AARP/Medicare community today and it makes me VERY leary of any health insurance through AARP.  Any suggestions?  Does it matter what state we live in how the plan runs?  HELP!

LJS5662
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 10 (8,452 Views)

I was just window shopping with rewards for good point links and found "The Affordable Care Act for Dummies" is available for Kindle Fire at Amazon for $9.99.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 10 (8,508 Views)
The Federal government (Medicare / CMS) issued new rules on this for 2015 back in April 2014. Here is some information on what changed, this is from the state of CT because they were the state that had so many providers cancelled. The rules from CMS apply to all MA plans.

CT HealthTeam 04/08/2014 Feds Issue Rules To Protect Seniors Enrolled In Medicare Advantage Plans

The link:
http://c-hit.org/2014/04/08/feds-issue-rules-to-protect-seniors-enrolled-in-medicare-advantage-plans...

I would call Medicare and ask them about this rule especially the time requirements and if it is now in effect or if it will be starting in 2015.
Funny that the providers don't know.
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 10 (8,517 Views)

I just found out - after waiting until Dec 5 to change my Medicare Advantage Plan, spending hours on the phone and on the internet checking to see whether all physicians are covered - that the major health care provider in Atlanta, Wellstar Healthcare, has dropped 6 of the 7 plans that they originally gave me on a list October 14, 2014.  The doctors do not yet know of this switch, only the insurance department.  The memo went out to the central billing department on December 1 and has not yet been sent to the providers.  I found out that I have 30 days from the time I received the disenrollment letter to revert back to my original plan.  Please everyone, check your lists NOW.  You may find that none of your doctors are covered.  That is what we discovered since all of our doctors are Wellstar.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 10 (9,577 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 10 (9,578 Views)
In Staten Island, NY, it also came as a total surprise that health plans in the Medicare Advantage are "downsizing" their physician"s network because of some reason that only them know! And only just a few days ago provided their insured with new directory of PCP"s when we have to make a desition before 12/7....call Medicare hotline and they cannot help!! So who will help us??? Maybe some divine ontrvention!!!!
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 10 (10,548 Views)

Will Humana Walmart plan ($15.70 a month) cover the ReliOn Novolin 70/30 insulin?

This is the same Insulin Novolin 70/30. By adding the ReliOn on the package Wal-Mart Pharmacy sells the vial for 1/4 the price $24.89 a vial copared to the same insulin Novolin over $100 a vial.

It is a great saving for Subscribers and Medicare. But Medicare finder does not list the ReliOn insulin.

I called Humana and Medicare and CHIP in Illinois to get an answer to no avail.

Can you find an answer for me.

Daoud Nabhan

daoud0928@gmail.com

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 10 (14,434 Views)

Please sign our petition to have Medicare cover hearing aids under HR 3150. http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/to-pass-hr-3150.fb73?source=c.fb&r_by=6379786 Please repost to all social media and write your Congressmember. We need this to go viral so Congress hears our voices. Janice Schacter Lintz, Chair, Hearing Access Program

Community Manager

Medicare Enrollment Facts You Need to Know

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 10 (14,582 Views)

AARP's Bulletin came out with this article 9 Medicare Enrollment Facts You Need To Know.  Are there any others we can share?  

AARPTeri