The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program

Message 1 of 8 (181 Views)

Hi retiredtraveler, I to understand how you feel, I suffer with diabetes and now I find myself trying to enroll into a healthcare program that will cover my needs. Now we have to go through greedy government officials who think its more benefinical for the millionares/billionares to have more tax breaks on the money that they have already stolen from us than giveing us proper medical care benefits. We are left holding the bag for it. We need good medical benefits if we are to  survive. I'm willing to do whatever I have to to make our cause heard. I can tell my story to anyone who will listen and in a position to help us.

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 8 (2,104 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:
"....But instead of that, how about this nugget, from which I extract my hope of improved health for our generation: people tend to make lifestyle changes for two major reasons: economics or trauma.

Most people adopt better eating/exercising habits because they are either forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars when the habit grows so large they can no longer make ends meet, or they are forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars because they end up in ICU with blocked arteries, and are told to cut the Snickers or die.....".

Nope!!!

Stats for heart attack patients:

"....Of the active smokers, 46 percent quit smoking within the first year after their heart attacks....".

(See, 'hot button' issue for me!)

@retiredtraveler Listen, I know! This is a hot button issue for me as well. DH and I have spent a LOT of resources over many decades to be and stay healthy. I am not happy about paying a tax dime toward the healthcare of those who eat all the wrong things, who do not take care of themselves and end up consuming the time and resources of medical professionals. 

What I was getting at, though, is that I can allow myself the hope that this program will push, press, prod, force and carrot-walk some portion of the unhealthy toward actual health. They have no idea, I think, how good they can feel. I've just enough bleeding heart to want to hope for that for them. Smiley Happy

And the truth is, we need all our moving parts to function. Right now some gawd-awful percentage of America is doped up and dumbed down. This pill relives that symptom, but mental acuity suffers, that sort of thing. Wrong, wrong, incredibly costly, and did I say wrong? Smiley Wink

Back to add what I forgot: that stat about heart patients supports my thesis: people change bad habits when the options narrow to death or acute poverty. May the program prod them along with financial carrots!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 8 (2,113 Views)
"....But instead of that, how about this nugget, from which I extract my hope of improved health for our generation: people tend to make lifestyle changes for two major reasons: economics or trauma.

Most people adopt better eating/exercising habits because they are either forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars when the habit grows so large they can no longer make ends meet, or they are forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars because they end up in ICU with blocked arteries, and are told to cut the Snickers or die.....".

Nope!!!

Stats for heart attack patients:

"....Of the active smokers, 46 percent quit smoking within the first year after their heart attacks....".

"...Three behaviors were included for the study: smoking cessation, healthy eating and physical exercise. Out of 7,519 patients surveyed in 17 countries, just 4.3 percent of participants improved their habits in all three areas, more than 30 percent made two lifestyle changes and more than 47 percent changed at least one lifestyle behavior to better their health....".

Less than half....... The Medicare program should never even start. Total waste of money. What is not in these stats is the number of people, just like those making those New Year's resolutions, stop the 'lifestyle changes' within a few years. Back to snickers and smokes. I was a CNA for five years. I can't begin to tell you how many people said that they didn't need to change anything because the doc fixed them up.

(See, 'hot button' issue for me!)

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (2,131 Views)

Well, Medicare is gonna be spending a lot of our healthcare dollars in support of this program.  

As as with any other public healthcare program, I can only hope that they monitors its success rate and stop it if the goals are not attained after the full program is initiated and measured after a time.

It has met the statutory requirement of expansion from earlier test.

With all the money being spent on it - we better hope it works - and not just for those who participate in the program - all of us cause it is designed to save health care dollars - something that should not be squandered.

CMS - 2017 - Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program (MDPP) Expanded Model.   

https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/medicare-diabetes-prevention-program/

Description of the Program Benefit

The MDPP core benefit is a 12-month intervention that consists of at least 16 weekly core hour-long sessions, over months 1-6, and at least 6 monthly core maintenance sessions over months 6-12, furnished regardless of weight loss.
Beneficiaries have access to three month intervals of ongoing maintenance sessions after the core 12-month intervention if they achieve and maintain the required minimum weight loss of 5 percent in the preceding three months.
MDPP was finalized as an additional preventive service, Medicare cost-sharing will not apply to MDPP services.

Message 5 of 8 (2,132 Views)

@retiredtraveler I hear you. And how. Like you, I can tell story after story about persons in our age bracket who suffer ill health mostly because they do not care to master the intake/output equasion.

But instead of that, how about this nugget, from which I extract my hope of improved health for our generation: people tend to make lifestyle changes for two major reasons: economics or trauma.

Most people adopt better eating/exercising habits because they are either forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars when the habit grows so large they can no longer make ends meet, or they are forced to stop eating deep fried Snickers bars because they end up in ICU with blocked arteries, and are told to cut the Snickers or die.

But let us not ignore the population that, according to @GailL1's post, were successful in the trial program. I'm assuming those were volunteers. What if insurance companies gave a kickback to enrollees that completed such a course, and a handsome savings to those who either met certain health criteria? (ie: lost & kept off weight or brought blood sugar numbers under control) As she points out, it is difficult to stay motivated to complete the change, and as you point out, most people fail early and never see the benefits of exercise. Perhaps a carrot is what we need here.

I'm not at all against enticing-to-the-point-of-forcing the people to take responsibility for their lifestyle disease caused ill-health, because the loss of productivity, the cost of medical care, the fact that many die before seeing their grandkids graduate high school, let alone get married, is too high a cost for society to bear. 

My $1.52. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 8 (2,144 Views)

"...Quite hopeful, I am, that this program will help curb the rampant type 2 diabetes epidemic going on in our country. Better health is coming!...".

Not me. It's been my 35+ year experience that people are just not motivated. Not just anecdotal --- have you seen the stats on people who lose weight? Virtually all of them put it back on. People find it impossible to sustain a weight loss program and worse, can't even maintain.

Another stat is that 90% of the people who join a gym after a New Year's resolution quit by March. Any personal trainer will attest to that.

Nothing will change. You, Epster, are in a minute community of people who take their exercise seriously. I see a handful of people at our local gym who do so too. I see far more people come-and-go. The gym also has a weight loss contest every year. Guess what --- the same people come back every year after gaining everything back.

As is apparent, the fact that people refuse to take care of their health is a hot-button issue with me. There is no excuse for anyone who is retired not to work out two hours a day, in whatever form that may be. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 8 (2,169 Views)

Quite hopeful, I am, that this program will help curb the rampant type 2 diabetes epidemic going on in our country. Better health is coming!

PS I say this not as one with type 2 but as one who sees the unsustainable cost this disease has brought down upon our country's people, productivity and mobility. And as a non-sufferer whose in-laws and outlaws have their share of diabetes sufferers.

Valued Social Butterfly

Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program

Message 8 of 8 (2,189 Views)

Beginning in January 2018, Medicare will begin a program for helping to prevent full blown Type 2 diabetes in those who are showing a tendency.  The program was tested back in the early 2000's and it seems to have helped people to change their lifestyle and thus hold off the onset - losing weight, eating right, exercising in order to lower their blood sugar levels.

There will be physical criteria like BMI and blood sugar levels in order to qualify for the program.  There will be course time and follow up.  They are now trying to get the trainers lined up so that programs can be offered nation wide.

It sounds good and somewhat strenuous in both time and effort but health is hard work after years of going in the wrong direction.

I'm sure all the details will be forthcoming in the 2018 Medicare and You publication.  This is just a heads up for this program beginnings.