Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 71 of 89 (13,115 Views)

AARP and UHC have an affiliation agreement.  No big secret there.

Same is true of their other affiliates.

As the Medicare link says additional benefits can also be added and these, if any, have to be weighed against a person's needs and cost.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 72 of 89 (13,115 Views)

Thanks Gail1.  Yes, I'm familiar with that.  North Carolina has all three different rated policies so you have to be careful you're comparing apples to apples.  My concern, however was that AARP endorses only one policy and it is one of the most expensive.  Given that all Plan F policies must provide identica coverage, I can't figure out why the AARP-endorsed policy is so expensive?

Unless.......................

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 73 of 89 (12,927 Views)

@sktn77a

A link for you 

How to compare Medigap policies from Medicare.gov

Federal and state laws govern Medigap policies.

If Plan F is available in your state, all Plan F's must cover the same Medicare benefits - shown in the Medicare.gov link.

So if you are only looking for these benefits, don't get confused by one insurer being more famous than another.

I always thought that state law regulates how Medigap policies are rated and thus all in your state would use the same rating method - community rated / age related, etc.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 74 of 89 (12,917 Views)
Without getting into the positive or negative reviews of the AARP/UHC medicare supplement plan F, it is interesting to note that this is one of the most expensive Plan F offerings out there. How come AARP, perhaps the largest organizations out there (excepting the various governments and government agencies), can't negotiate a better deal with UHC?

For example, including the somewhat odd decreasing "discount" applied over the first decade, and not accounting for any group rate increases over the next 25 years, the premiums alone would amount to over $60,000 during this time! Compare this to, say, the Old Surety Insurance Company's plan F which would cost approx $39,000 for the same coverage over the same time period. Note that this is an "issue age" policy which, unlike an "attained age" policy, is comparable to AARP/UHC's "no-age" policy.

I don't see much benefit to being a member of AARP and blindly purchasing their medigap policy because their stated mission is to look after seniors' best interests. Can someone perhaps help me understand why I should even bother with the AARP membership and benefits when one of their primary products/services appears to be one of the least competitive in the market?
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 75 of 89 (12,937 Views)

jm590797 wrote:

My wife and I have had the Plan F Supplemental coverage via AARP/UHC for two years. We are very happy with the plan.  We have no co-pays.  However, be advised that the plan cost has increased 7.5% per year since we signed on.  We started out at $265 a month and now we are at $306 a month.  I created a spreadsheet projecting a 7.5% cost increase over the next 20 years and there is definitely a point where the coverage will no longer be affordable and it looks for us like it will be when we are in our mid-70's.

Supplemental Medicare plans are governed by the federal government AND the state in which you live. The rating structure is based upon the way your state has decided to do it.  It could be age related, community based, etc.  So before you determine fault for rate increases, then you need to determine how your state has legislated for these plans to be structured.

Here are are some informational links -

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/compare-medigap/compare-medigap.html

http://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-supplement/issue-age-pricing/

Any other increase, as most other insurance plans, has to be approved by your insurance commissioner if it is over some stated threshold.

Plan F is one of the most expensive supplemental plans, if not the most expensive.  This is because it covers just about everything that Medicare does not pay with NO out of pocket on your part, in fact it even covers your deductible.  

This is type of plan may well go the way of the dinosaurs and not to far into the future because one of the ways to help control healthcare cost is to have the beneficiaries have at least some out of pocket.  The current Administration has already suggested this several times and it seems to be in the investigational works.

If you want to keep this type of coverage, you have to stay enrolled and pay your premiums.  For others just signing up, someday these type plans might not be available at all.

Info Seeker

Message 76 of 89 (11,374 Views)

My wife and I have had the Plan F Supplemental coverage via AARP/UHC for two years. We are very happy with the plan.  We have no co-pays.  However, be advised that the plan cost has increased 7.5% per year since we signed on.  We started out at $265 a month and now we are at $306 a month.  I created a spreadsheet projecting a 7.5% cost increase over the next 20 years and there is definitely a point where the coverage will no longer be affordable and it looks for us like it will be when we are in our mid-70's.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 77 of 89 (10,612 Views)

A couple of months ago, I had two issues to address--get a new AARP card mailed and a United Healthcare Part D Supplement ID. I went ahead and printed the online card while waiting, which had the same membership number printed on my AARP Chase Visa Rewards credit card, but when the mail arrived I had a new AARP membership number. I called United Healthcare and was informed that my old number was now my Part D Supplement insurance policy number, so I orderwd an ID card for that over the phone. Now I get loads of junk mail asking if I would like to try and qualify for a United Healthcare policy wveryday, but no insurance supplement card to go with the Medicare card I have had since August of 1989.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 89 (10,383 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Keep paying your Plan F premiums on time cause there might be a time in the not so distant future when there will be no more Plan F - you will be grandfathered but no more Medigap Plan F will be offered.  Reason being according to the government is that it is too generous - people need some skin in the game to use their plan wisely.

Gail, when you say "there might be a time in the not so distant future" are you referring to the first-dollar-coveage changes in Medgiap law that happened in the spring of 2015 (effective 2019 I think for new enrollees) or some other possiblity?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 89 (10,323 Views)

.Chris, as with any other Medigap plan that is no longer offered, if a person has Plan F now and keeps their premiums paid, they will continue to have the same plan.  It will just be closed to any further enrollment.

not being able to change Medigap plans because of medical underwriting or whatever is more of a state issue, that is to say a state insurance regulatory process or rule.  

The feds only develop the plans, states set the insurance regulatory rule about how rating and premiums occur.  

Conversationalist

Message 80 of 89 (10,975 Views)

Gail,

Thanks for the heads up about Plan F may be ending.   I had planned to keep the plan, and pay the cost.  Like I said, I have been happy.   Fortunately I have been very healthy and rarely go to the doctor and only take 3 Tier 1 prescriptions, so I am sure they are making money on me.   I do like the security Plan F provides though.   Best of luck to all those who are trying to make sense out of all the plans and options.