Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 51 of 89 (6,290 Views)

First, i want to thank you for your service and sacrifice BUT a Medicare Supplement DOES NOT.....REPEAT DOES NOT cover medications.  No Medicare Supplement from any carrier covers medications.  So if your AARP Medicare Supplement does not approve a medication it is because by law, they are not allowed to cover them.  You have to have a Part D plan for your medications and that could be with any carrier and does not have to be with the same carrier as your Medicare Supplement.  Second, heavy pain meds now have new government imposed restrictions on them because of their value as street drugs so yes, they can be more difficult to get and yes, people are suffering because of these federal government imposed restrictions.  Instead of camping out in front of the Medicare SUPPLEMENT office, who has no power to help you, camp out in front of your Congressman or Senators office because that is where the problem lies. 

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 52 of 89 (6,298 Views)

YES! I am on disability and a veteran. I had back surgery last month and the doctor wrote a persription for extended release pain meds. They said they 72 hours to review for authorization and maybe up to 84 hours. I called and talked with them talked with a supervisor he said he was was sorry but they could not help. He told me to go to the ER and see if I can get an emergency supply.  The ER doesn't do that. They really didn't seem to care about anyone or there pain. All because they can take up to 72 hours. They only wanted to change what kind of medicine or the amount you can take in a day. I will be contacting aarp all of my state and federal reps. And possibly camp out in my travel trailer at there Corp office.  I am so angry with there lack of sempathy and care how much suffering a person will go through.  I will not let this go Un answered!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 89 (6,347 Views)

sktn77a wrote:

"Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later."

State of legal residence is only an issue when the policy is first issued.  If you move states thereafter, the policy follows you and is still valid.  This is great for insurers that issue policies in New York (where costs are expensive) and the policy holder moves to West Virginia (where costs are relatively inexpensive) but bad for insurers who issue a policy in West Virginia and the policy holder then moves to New York!  (Not that many people would move from WV to NY!)

Perhaps you did not mean to trivialize this subject with the words "only an issue when the policy is first" written.  But just in case some future reader thinks the word "only" implies that this is no big deal, it is a big deal. If where you live legally when you are first eligible for or sign up for a Medicare supplement is different than where you think you might end up legally residing, you need to think this through because some states have open, continuous sign up with community rating and others have various types of retrictions related to pre-existing conditions and age rating  with and without discounts (or some different mix of these characteristics)

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 54 of 89 (6,355 Views)

"Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later."

State of legal residence is only an issue when the policy is first issued.  If you move states thereafter, the policy follows you and is still valid.  This is great for insurers that issue policies in New York (where costs are expensive) and the policy holder moves to West Virginia (where costs are relatively inexpensive) but bad for insurers who issue a policy in West Virginia and the policy holder then moves to New York!  (Not that many people would move from WV to NY!)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 89 (6,450 Views)

diginsburg wrote:
Every "letter" plan has identical coverage in all states and D.C.

Your statement is accurate with some very small differences. That is not the point however of this thread. Not all private Medigap "letter plan" Medicare supplements are offered in all states and insurance companies do not even offer private "letter plan" Medigap insurance in some states (it's against those states' laws although they have similar policies to some of the letter plans--some better and some worse).

Also the prices vary widely even in state and guaranteed enrollment rules differ widely across state lines even for the same letter plan from the same insurance company. Private Medigap insurance is controlled by your state of legal residence when you sign up (see Note); those policies are the only thing you should compare.

Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 89 (3,209 Views)
Every "letter" plan has identical coverage in all states and D.C.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 89 (3,324 Views)

Hassiman wrote:

Hi,
AARP's Medicare Supplemental Medicare Insurance sounds great... but I decided that before I purchase it I should read the reviews.

I was astounded! Consumer affairs reviews were the worst I have EVER seen for any product or service from any company.

This topic gets a lot of hits. Please note that the question was first asked two years ago and then a few comments were made in 2016 and about a dozen have been made since mid March 2017. Take all of them with that timing in mind as well as keep in mind that the private Medicare supplement insurance discussed here -- from AARP or anyone else -- varies from state to state in price, discount structures and what it may or may not cover. It even varies in terms if all 'Plans' -- A, C, F, G, and so forth -- are available. Some states do not even have 'Plans' that use the lettering system.  In some states there is continuous, open enrollment but in some states that is not true. You need to look only at the plans available in your states to do a comparison.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 89 (3,699 Views)

I've only been on Medicare a year and a half and have the AARP Plan F. I'm happy. I see the doc every three months, have various blood tests, and have yet to pay for anything out-of-pocket except for meds. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Conversationalist

Message 59 of 89 (3,951 Views)

I have had AARP/UHC Supplemental Plan F for 11 years since I retired.   I continue to be very happy with my plan.  The premiums do increase each year, but the increases are comparable to other companies and the customer service I receive is a blessing.   I recommended the same policy to my sister who retired a couple of years after I did, and she is also very happy with the plan.    I will continue to recommend this plan, and I intend to keep it for the rest of my days.  Thank you United Health Care!

Info Seeker

Message 60 of 89 (3,987 Views)

You've commented 5 times in one day and 4 more times in March... calm down! You're flooding other commenters inbox.