Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Periodic Contributor

Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Hi,
AARP's Medicare Supplemental Medicare Insurance sounds great... but I decided that before I purchase it I should read the reviews.

I was astounded!

Consumer affairs reviews were the worst I have EVER seen for any product or service from any company. People were talking about outright misrepresentation of services, copays, non-existent customer service. Representatives simply hanging up on customers, drug formularies not covering many common medications. Increasing co-pays. A litany of misrepresentation and worse.

Now I understand the Internet. You will always find people more willing to badmouth a product or service than to praise it... but I looked for positive reviews and found none...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/aarp_medicare.html

Is it really this bad? If so why does AARP tolerate this if they are, as they claim, an organization that exists to promote the best interests of senior citizens?

Have I simply been looking for reviews of AARP United Healthcare supplemental insurance in the wrong places?

Can anyone here describe their own experience with this insurance? I live in California... but will be moving to Arizona...

If not AARP/UHC insurance, can anyone here recommend a company for Medicare supplemental insurance with which they have had a positive experience?

Thanks

Contributor

Every time I come to their website ( https://www.medicare.uhc.com/aarp ) I waste hours only to end up calling on the phone and wasting more time! The new website is even worse! Two days ago I spent hours trying to find a new PCP since I received a letter stating that the current provider has left the practice. The search process simply does not work on this website. No matter what key words I input, I get incorrect information back if any at all. I put in "Lee Physicians Group" (current provider office) and get every doctor with the word "physician" in their profile! Yeah, that is all of them! I select various filters in the search fields but none work. For example: select 'female' but still have males mixed in. Select Fort Myers location but get them all! Put in a physician’s name but get no returns, even though I know they are in the network! UHC (United Health Care) actually selected/appointed a new physician for me automatically, way over in Cape Coral! They actually sent me my new ID card with my new PCP that I did not pick and do not want! I live in Fort Myers. So there are no physicians participating here anymore???

So as usual, yesterday I make the dreaded phone call. Yep, another day off wasted with UHC and still no results! After talking to a UHC rep yesterday for half an hour, and being put on and off of hold several time (they have to research EVERY question or escalate it to someone that may know the answer…), I finally realized she could not provide me with any information whatsoever! She said she could mail me a book with all the physicians listed in it! What!? I told her this is 2018, I am in your website now...just tell me how to access the available network physicians since the search function does not work! She said the website does not provide that. What!? So I cannot use the website to search for a new doctor nor can I access the information within the website. So what is the website for again??? So I asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold for a supervisor for 15 minutes, I hung up. This is not a one-time issue; this has become the new norm. Today I decided it was time to change insurance companies. So I have spent another morning on my day off to research other providers only to become so overwhelmed that I felt like giving up! I even sent emails from within the website a couple days ago asking for help and explaining what experience I had in a detailed message. They did not even respond! Fed Up! I suppose I will have to fill in one of those quote request online forms, only to be flooded with phone calls and emails from every agent in Florida! So I decided to put my review out there so others may make an informed decision on which Medicare supplemental insurance plan they place their healthcare needs with.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Your situation sounds very frustrating, and I do not know why you are  having such problems.   My sister (both in Canton and North Canton, Ohio) and I have both had AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Plan F for over 5 years and we are both very happy with the insurance program, the customer service, and our interactions.   I hope you get your issues resolved.  Good luck to you.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I really wish people who are complaining about their Medicare SUPPLEMENT when they actually have a Medicare ADVANTAGE policy would look at their card and see what they actually have.  YOU HAVE NO NETWORKS WITH THE SUPPLEMENT AND CAN SEE ANY DOCTOR THAT TAKES MEDICARE..NO REFERRALS.  If you need to have a primary care doc, you have the Advantage policy.  And if you need to change  your primary care doc...CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARD AND YOU WILL FIND IT IS EASY TO DO. 

I don't know about their supplemental insurance, but their complete plan has been a total nightmare for my health, especially my kidneys. Twice, within just a few short months, they refused to approve refills on my hypertension medication I've been taking for years, and forced me to go without it for about 4 weeks total while fighting with my healthcare provider who constantly tried to make it clear I needed my medication to protect my kidneys. (I had CKD Stage 3b at the time of the denial, which may be worse now.) The last lab results showed protein was spilling into my urine. Further damage to my kidneys! Anytime a doctor or his office has to argue and fight with an insurance company about your care, there is a serious problem and the patient is the one who suffers.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@emmafaithm1969

Something definitely does not sound right here with whatever the problem might be between the doctors orders and your Medicare Advantage plan.

But without all the details, you should file a complaint with Medicare about your Medicare Advantage insurer so that they can check into the details and determine the problem.

Medicare.gov - Complaints about you health or drug plan

A Medicare Advantage medical staff do have the right to question things which might go contrary to the diagnosis code a doctor may use.  

Sometimes it it might be just a simple code number being entered wrong but it would not take 4-weeks to come to a conclusion IF everybody is on the same page to get everything right.  Since your prescription drug coverage is embedded in the same plan, it could be a problem either on the provider end or the prescription end with the insurer.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am disappointed with the UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL "Cadillac" policy I have---which does not adhere to the supposed standards of AARP.  

---AARP's consumer advice always advocates for you to: "get a proper ID of whom you are speaking with on the phone, a first/last name, before giving out any personal information."

---When you telephone UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL to review your account---the person refuses to properly ID themselves, most likely because they do not want to be held accountable or responsible for the information they provide!  Additionally, as their way to cover up and defuse any accountability, you never get to speak with the same person twice.

---Consider that I am paying hundreds of dollars per month for UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL---this is not something I'm buying for $9.99!

---In contrast, I had an EXCELLENT experience with THE HARTFORD on my auto/homeowner's insurance in the past two years.  I consider their customer service to be spot on, efficient, courteous, reliable---and all of their representatives do give a proper ID, first/last name for accountability purposes.  (I recommend AARP's programs with THE HARTFORD, because besides very good customer service, they are very cost competitive.)

---With the AARP list of "Member Rights & Responsibilities" UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL fails miserably!  

---Their advertising and sales promotion claims: UNITED will pay for bills and claims which basic MEDICARE does not.  Yet, when I recently had a new vaccination for whooping cough, as recommended by my doctor and pharmacy---I was forced to pay $60---on top of my expensive   monthly premiums.  When I telephoned through the process provided on the website---some indifferent clerk with no knowledge simply said:  You have to call MEDICARE.  When I called MEDICARE---another indifferent clerk with no knowledge said:  We don't cover it!  (This was over a half hour sitting on the phone.)

---Why did I have to pay $60 to RITE AID for this immunization, when every month I am paying hundreds to MEDICARE, hundreds to UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL, and several hundred a year for my WALGREEN drug plan?

---This whole experience is a NEGATIVE TURN OFF, a source of aggravation.  These companies hope that they can intimidate you and discourage you so you just disappear and do not bother them---and they can pretend that everything is wonderful after taking your money!

MEANWHILE, there is no ability to send direct e-Mails to any leadership executives at AARP like Lawrence Flanagan, President of AARP Services, to let them know what is going on here!  These executives pretend they are so sensitive to your customer service needs---yet other than sending direct mail, paying $7+ for certified mail to make sure it gets there, it is impossible to communicate with these people who run these programs, there is no way to confront them. 

I would be surprised if anyone at AARP actually responds to my complaint here---their process is a joke!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@danf224027 wrote:

. . . . - - -Their advertising and sales promotion claims: UNITED will pay for bills and claims which basic MEDICARE does not.  Yet, when I recently had a new vaccination for whooping cough, as recommended by my doctor and pharmacy---I was forced to pay $60---on top of my expensive   monthly premiums.  When I telephoned through the process provided on the website---some indifferent clerk with no knowledge simply said:  You have to call MEDICARE.  When I called MEDICARE---another indifferent clerk with no knowledge said:  We don't cover it!  (This was over a half hour sitting on the phone.)

---Why did I have to pay $60 to RITE AID for this immunization, when every month I am paying hundreds to MEDICARE, hundreds to UNITED HEALTHCARE SUPPLEMENTAL, and several hundred a year for my WALGREEN drug plan?

. . . . I would be surprised if anyone at AARP actually responds to my complaint here---their process is a joke!

I am not from AARP but wanted to respond to you about your Tdap vaccination-  ( tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis).

Your Medicare prescription drug plan covers most immunizations/vaccinations.

Medicare.gov - Tdap shot (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis shot)

You called it  (your drug plan) your "Walgreen Drug Plan" - You went to Rite Aid for the vaccination so we're they able to file the claim with your prescription drug plan - is Rite Aid listed as a covered pharmacy on your drug plan?  Perhaps you can call your drug plan and see if there is anyway you can recoup some of your money by filing a claim with them with a copy of the paperwork.

You have original Medicare with a supplemental plan.  You should get a booklet every year entitled "Medicare and You" - this booklet is pretty thorough as to how the different parts of Medicare work in the original program and how your supplemental coverage works.    Original Medicare is your main insurance; your Medigap coverage or supplemental is just that "supplemental" to original Medicare.  Original Medicare makes all the coverage rules and determines which part covers what services.

You can can always reference Medicare.gov to see if a particular service is covered and how it is covered. Medicare.gov - Is my test, item or service covered?

Insurance (public or private) is only as good as our proper use of it.  Complicated at times, I know . . . . It is what it is -  since original Medicare is your main coverage - call them if you need clarification on something about coverage.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Since this thread is about customer reviews of “AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplemental insurance”.  Here’s my review:

I’ve had an AARP united healthcare supplement letter plan for 3 years. I have also used it in those years and I have no complaints.

Medicare approves an amount of a medical charge and pays their 80%, the charges are then automatically forwarded to United Healthcare and they pay the remaining 20%. I do nothing other than file the explanation of benefits forms that are mailed to my house (I need to sign up for the paperless EOB statements).

Among my benefits I have silver sneakers, 24 hour nurse on call. Currently I pay $159 a month, a bargain.

Why I originally chose United Health care? Besides a good value at a low cost, they are the largest provider of both Medicare supplement and Medicare advantage plans thus they have a lot of weight to throw around when it comes to protecting my privileges as a Medicare recipient. I believe as UH goes so goes the rest.

I did a lot of research and talked with a lot of average Joe’s and Jane’s about their Medicare health plans before I came to my conclusion about which supplement plan I wanted. I separated the wheat from the chaff and didn’t pay attention to those that had an axe to grind about an organization and couldn’t be honest about their benefits. 

So far I’m very pleased with my United Healthcare Medicare supplemental coverage.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Since this thread is about customer reviews of “AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplemental insurance”.  Here’s my review:

I’ve had an AARP united healthcare supplement letter plan F for 3 years. I have also used it in those years and I have no complaints.

Medicare approves an amount of a medical charge and pays their 80%, the charges are then automatically forwarded to United Healthcare and they pay the remaining 20%. I do nothing other than file the explanation of benefits forms that are mailed to my house (I need to sign up for the paperless EOB statements).

Among my benefits I have silver sneakers, 24 hour nurse on call. Currently I pay $159 a month.

Why I originally chose United Health care? Besides the good value and low cost, because they are the largest provider of both Medicare supplement and Medicare advantage plans thus they have a lot of weight to throw around when it comes to protecting my privileges as a Medicare recipient. I believe as UH goes so goes the rest.

I did a lot of research and talked with a lot of average Joe’s about their health plans before I came to my conclusion about which supplement plan I wanted. I didn’t give many grains of sand to those that had an axe to grind about a senior organization. Separate the wheat from the chaff. 

So far I’m very pleased with my United Healthcare Medicare supplemental coverage.

0 Kudos

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same.
This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@w269042b wrote:

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same.
This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

You do need to understand that there is a difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a "medicare supplemental plan aka medigap plan" (the later being the subject of this thread).  You seem to be describing a Medicare Advantage plan, and this differs from the subject of this thread.

byrondennis is right - you can change your Medicare Advantage plan at the next open enrollment period in the late fall of this year.  If certain doctors are important to you, check that out 1st before signing up.  However, it is not uncommon for doctors to come and go in some Medicare Advantage plans.

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your stat since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@w269042b wrote:

You do need to understand that there is a difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a "medicare supplemental plan aka medigap plan" (the later being the subject of this thread).  You seem to be describing a Medicare Advantage plan, and this differs from the subject of this thread.

byrondennis is right - you can change your Medicare Advantage plan at the next open enrollment period in the late fall of this year.  If certain doctors are important to you, check that out 1st before signing up.  However, it is not uncommon for doctors to come and go in some Medicare Advantage plans.

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your stat since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Do you really understand what she is talking about. To me it is evident she does not understand this subject and badly needs the help of a local expert yet you are giving her advice which could really come back and hurt her badly. Why cant you just tell her to see a local expert. I do not understand what joy people get in giving advice to others when it is evident it can hurt them. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it. Please contact this person and tell them to seek a local expert. They  can go to the AARP Office for names if they need to.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@john258 wrote:

. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it.

I cannot imagine what the person that wrote chrono comment 48 is talking about relative to "some advice." I almost always post statistics on this AARP Topic, sometimes with references to Medicare documents (typically from MedPAC, the GAO or the Trustees but sometimes from the Medicare bureaucracy itself) to support the statistics or some other point.

If I ever post something other than statistics that someone with a reading comprehension problem might consider advice, the advice is

• "Go see the Medicare volunteer at the nearest senior center or like facility"
  • or
  • "Read page such and such in "Medicare and You.""

2018 version in the mail2018 version in the mail

(What's really odd with chrono commenter 48's reply to Gail is the advice to go to get the name of a local expert from a "local AARP office." I am an AARP member and I do not even know where to find a "local AARP office." But you can get unbiased advice from your local senior center or like facility from a volunteer with no conflict of interest. AARP through United Healthcare sells insurance so -- human nature being what it is -- I would not depend on asking one insurance company what all the other insurance companies in my area offer. In my particular county, the AARP offering is expensive and/or not compehensive but AARP probably has great solutions in other counties.

(So both Gail and I say "Go see a local unbiased volunteer." Chrono commenter 48 says "Go see a biased paid person that works on commission." You decide which "advice" makes most sense.)

Honored Social Butterfly

@byrondennis wrote:

@john258 wrote:

. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it.

I cannot imagine what the person that wrote chrono comment 48 is talking about relative to "some advice." I almost always post statistics on this AARP Topic, sometimes with references to Medicare documents (typically from MedPAC, the GAO or the Trustees but sometimes from the Medicare bureaucracy itself) to support the statistics or some other point.

If I ever post something other than statistics that someone with a reading comprehension problem might consider advice, the advice is

• "Go see the Medicare volunteer at the nearest senior center or like facility"
  • or
  • "Read page such and such in "Medicare and You.""

2018 version in the mail2018 version in the mail

(What's really odd with chrono commenter 48's reply to Gail is the advice to go to get the name of a local expert from a "local AARP office." I am an AARP member and I do not even know where to find a "local AARP office." But you can get unbiased advice from your local senior center or like facility from a volunteer with no conflict of interest. AARP through United Healthcare sells insurance so -- human nature being what it is -- I would not depend on asking one insurance company what all the other insurance companies in my area offer. In my particular county, the AARP offering is expensive and/or not compehensive but AARP probably has great solutions in other counties.

(So both Gail and I say "Go see a local unbiased volunteer." Chrono commenter 48 says "Go see a biased paid person that works on commission." You decide which "advice" makes most sense.)

Might be hard for you to accept but you gave advice which if I had followed would have cost me over $1,000 per year. It is  up in here so go read it. So I say stop what you are doing, learn a subject before you post, and stop using right or left as you only show how little you know by doing that.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

john258 wrote to byrondennis:

Might be hard for you to accept but you gave advice which if I had followed would have cost me over $1,000 per year. It is  up in here so go read it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have mentioned this time and again - can you point me to this "advice" so I can determine what you mean.  Should be easy for you to find and link it or just note the subject of the thread, time and date.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@GailL1 wrote:

Might be hard for you to accept but you gave advice which if I had followed would have cost me over $1,000 per year. It is  up in here so go read it.

You have mentioned this time and again - can you point me to this "advice" so I can determine what you mean.  Should be easy for you to find and link it or just note the subject of the thread, time and date.

Gail, this commenter in chrono comment 54 -- who keeps repeating the same nonsense -- apparently has a reading comprehension problem or perhaps English is not his or her native language... or perhaps a problem understanding the meanings of adjectives and adverbs in English or... or perhaps does not even understand the meaning of the word 'advice' in English. I dunno... quite bizarre. Also I do not pay any attention to the writer of any comment I am commenting on... I almost always comment on the first comment on a Topic, chrono comment 1 - the comment that started the Topic, even if I am the sixth or 16th commenter so I basically have no idea what the commenter is talking about unless it is a Topic started by this commenter.

Whatever, the only "advice" I ever give, and I do not even think of it as "advice" but common sense, is to go look at such and such a page in "Medicare and You" or to go to the nearest senior center or like facility. Usually that particular "advice" relates to an explanation of how Medicare works. But I don't comment on that very often. More often I reference a GAO or MedPAC or Trustee document relative to a statistic. I certainly never discussed any 30% discounts or $1000 "savings" with anyone as is claimed (but I might have used a percentage as in "about 30% of the people on Medicare are on Part D").

In fact based on the description in chrono comment 54, it sounds like the commenter is saying he or she does not have Part D. But there are a few Part D plans left that cover the donut hole so who knows:

• Something about the donut hole
  • But he or she does not have a donut hole because he or she has something related to group retirement insurance that includes dental and nurses (but so do a lot of Part C plans?)
  • blah blah indemnity???
  • And he or she saves 30% (30% of what?)

Whatever, his or her whole series of  run-on stream of consciousness comments without English grammar and constantly completely reposting  every comment that came before should be deleted by the moderator.

The real irony that both you and I always tell people to go look it up and/or go to the senior center and or give a link, which appears to be what he is criticizing us for not doing. That's why I go back to the reading comprehension problem/ESL assumption

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@byrondennis wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Gail, this commenter in chrono comment 54 -- who keeps repeating the same nonsense -- apparently has a reading comprehension problem or perhaps English is not his or her native language... or perhaps a problem understanding the meanings of adjectives and adverbs in English or... or perhaps does not even understand the meaning of the word 'advice' in English. I dunno... quite bizarre. Also I do not pay any attention to the writer of any comment I am commenting on... I almost always comment on the first comment on a Topic, chrono comment 1 - the comment that started the Topic, even if I am the sixth or 16th commenter so I basically have no idea what the commenter is talking about unless it is a Topic started by this commenter.

Whatever, the only "advice" I ever give, and I do not even think of it as "advice" but common sense, is to go look at such and such a page in "Medicare and You" or to go to the nearest senior center or like facility. Usually that particular "advice" relates to an explanation of how Medicare works. But I don't comment on that very often. More often I reference a GAO or MedPAC or Trustee document relative to a statistic. I certainly never discussed any 30% discounts or $1000 "savings" with anyone as is claimed (but I might have used a percentage as in "about 30% of the people on Medicare are on Part D").

In fact based on the description in chrono comment 54, it sounds like the commenter is saying he or she does not have Part D. But there are a few Part D plans left that cover the donut hole so who knows:

• Something about the donut hole
  • But he or she does not have a donut hole because he or she has something related to group retirement insurance that includes dental and nurses (but so do a lot of Part C plans?)
  • blah blah indemnity???
  • And he or she saves 30% (30% of what?)

Whatever, his or her whole series of  run-on stream of consciousness comments without English grammar and constantly completely reposting  every comment that came before should be deleted by the moderator.

The real irony that both you and I always tell people to go look it up and/or go to the senior center and or give a link, which appears to be what he is criticizing us for not doing. That's why I go back to the reading comprehension problem/ESL assumption

When facts prove someone wrong they can do one of two things. Accept the truth and change, or make up lies to try and justify what they did. You choose the later. What you do is hurt people badly by what you post telling them how to handle their problems in the Health Insurance field.  You have proven over and over again by your posts and advice you give to people that you have no understanding of the subject. I did not even ask you for advice but was commenting on your advice to another poster. You chose to give me unasked for advice which would have cost me over $1,000 per year. Here is some sound advice for you. Stop what you are doing. AARP should never allow such a problem to be on its web site.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

john258

I looked the thread up and read all the comments.  YOU changed the subject of the thread when you responded to byrondennis without giving any description.  IMO, you sought to confuse the original poster when they were speaking about the donut hole of Part D Medicare - which was the subject of the original post.

Personally, I will now only ignore your post.  

Gold Conversationalist

@GailL1 wrote:

john258

I looked the thread up and read all the comments.  YOU changed the subject of the thread when you responded to byrondennis without giving any description.  IMO, you sought to confuse the original poster when they were speaking about the donut hole of Part D Medicare - which was the subject of the original post.

Thanks for the taking the time to do that, Gail. Who knows what's going on there?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

john258

You better re read the post. The only thing you are correct about is it was about the donut hole and I commented on his answer which was bad using my own plan which has none either. I could care less what you ignore, but the one thing neither you nor Dennis can ignore is that you give advice to people which is usually incomplete, or incorrect, and they can be hurt by it. There is no state that would allow this to happen face to face because they have seen the pain and suffering it causes. Dennis did not have to answer me but he did telling me where to go for a cheaper rate. If I had followed what he said and got a cheaper part D rate it would have cost me over $1,000 per year. That is what happens when people who  do not know the subject give advice. Someday I think you might find a person who you  guys hurt badly by bad advice gets a lawyer and sues you, and would include AARP for allowing it on their website. I can not understand for the life of me how people can be so cruel to others just to make themselves look good.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

It was about 2 months ago and I called him out on it so you should have seen it. It should still be up but I am not going to waste my time looking it up. He was giving someone else advice on Part D. I told him what my part D was. No gap, no co-pay on generic, discounted prem of between 30 and 40%, special prices on drugs. He then told me I had a certain type of plan D and should check as I could get a lower price and gave me a ref. (I did not tell him about the 30 to 40% discount.) Well my plan comes from my employer and is tied into medi care supp, dental. On my supp. I have to use Indemnity policy for where I live, but I get just about all the discounts you would get in adv. plan. Gym, eyes, nurse on call etc. I also get a 30 to 40% discount on rates. The rule is you take it all or nothing. If I had changed my part D I would have lost the rest to. He did not know the full story on what I had and was giving me advice that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it. Yes it is a very good plan from my employer, and very different from what you usually hear about, and I am lucky. There are other special plans like this out there, and that is why you should never give advice to people who have problems with all health insurance. Let the local expert do it as they will get all the details from the person.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@w269042b wrote:

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your state since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Do you really understand what she is talking about. To me it is evident she does not understand this subject and badly needs the help of a local expert yet you are giving her advice which could really come back and hurt her badly. Why cant you just tell her to see a local expert. I do not understand what joy people get in giving advice to others when it is evident it can hurt them. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it. Please contact this person and tell them to seek a local expert. They  can go to the AARP Office for names if they need to.

john258,

I did not give advice, only some options which the poster can decide upon, with or without help.

It is apparent that they are not talking about a Medicare supplemental plan.

They can seek out a local person for help or do some self study. Help is listed on the Medicare site by state and it is included in the Medicare and You booklet which we all get each year.

You are free to post your response to the poster - telling them to see a local expert - you can even give them the web address to locate local help (in their state).

Medicare - Find Contact Information

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@w269042b wrote:

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your state since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

john258,

I did not give advice, only some options which the poster can decide upon, with or without help.

It is apparent that they are not talking about a Medicare supplemental plan.

They can seek out a local person for help or do some self study. Help is listed on the Medicare site by state and it is included in the Medicare and You booklet which we all get each year.

You are free to post your response to the poster - telling them to see a local expert - you can even give them the web address to locate local help (in their state).

Medicare - Find Contact Information

Suggest you go back and reread your post. You gave advice to someone who by their post has no understanding of the subject and badly needs local expert help. It is not apparent what they are talking about since they would seem to have little knowledge of Medicare. When you give advice without knowing everything about their problem you can hurt them badly. I gave you an example of how bad advice could have done that to me. Why cant you give a person real help when it is evident they do not understand their problem and tell them where to go for a local expert. Hurting people can be easy, helping them is harder and requires we put away our own desire to feel like we are an expert.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@w269042b wrote:

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same. This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

You don't word it this way but yes, the best way to approach Medicare -- or any health insurance I guess -- is with the doctor. 

• What insurance does your doctor (or do your doctors) take?
  • What about nearby hospitals?

After those questions are answered (sounds like you do not have a doctor), then follow the charts on pages 4 and 5 in the newly released "Medicare and You, 2018" (see Note)

NOTE: The new version does not seem to be on the Medicare web site yet but my spouse received a copy in the mail today so I assume they are on the way to everyone. If you only have last year's, see page 17 but it is not as easy to understand as the new information. Given your comment and depending on personal and local conditions (don't post them on this web site), you probably have to time to change for 2017. You can definitely change for 2018 during the upcoming Annual Election Period. Go see the local expert at your nearest senior center or like facility if you are unsure of what these charts mean.

0 Kudos

YES! I am on disability and a veteran. I had back surgery last month and the doctor wrote a persription for extended release pain meds. They said they 72 hours to review for authorization and maybe up to 84 hours. I called and talked with them talked with a supervisor he said he was was sorry but they could not help. He told me to go to the ER and see if I can get an emergency supply.  The ER doesn't do that. They really didn't seem to care about anyone or there pain. All because they can take up to 72 hours. They only wanted to change what kind of medicine or the amount you can take in a day. I will be contacting aarp all of my state and federal reps. And possibly camp out in my travel trailer at there Corp office.  I am so angry with there lack of sempathy and care how much suffering a person will go through.  I will not let this go Un answered!

0 Kudos
Contributor

United Healthcare is the worst!

Since just starting Medicare, I was told that Plan F was the best.

However, the perscriptions was a separate plan,, no problem, got that throught them as well.....BIG MISTAKE.

I take only 2 meds,,,Protonix & Zetonna (an inhaler) thats it..

My PC had to stop his work and dedicate time to write why I needed the name brand as other products previously tried never worked and resulred in many hospital visits, The generic does not work, as well...

They finally accepted the doctors orders and decided to pay a portion of this drug, that I have taken for years.

Now we get to the Zetonna, another drug they still refuse to help cover.

My ENT doctor just phoned me, on a Sunday no less, to see if I was all set in getting ths covered,,,,

He was very upset when I told him once again it was denied.

He said this group is nothing but "smoke & mirrors" and he's right/

5 times this man has filled out paperwork and sent it in and still, whoever makes this decision in UHC  to decline this med, better have a doctorate degree,

I think its disgusting that some office worker decides what a patient is in need of.

So right now for this spray I pay 750.00.

I am sorry I ever got involved with UHC and I am very sorry that AARP is involved with them...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@r58721w wrote:

However, the perscriptions was a separate plan,, no problem, got that throught them as well.....BIG MISTAKE.

My PC had to stop his work and dedicate time to write why I needed the name brand as other products previously tried never worked and resulred in many hospital visits, The generic does not work, as well...

They finally accepted the doctors orders and decided to pay a portion of this drug, that I have taken for years.

My ENT doctor just phoned me, on a Sunday no less, to see if I was all set in getting ths covered,,,,

5 times this man has filled out paperwork and sent it in and still, whoever makes this decision in UHC  to decline this med, better have a doctorate degree,

I think its disgusting that some office worker decides what a patient is in need of.

I am sorry I ever got involved with UHC and I am very sorry that AARP is involved with them...

I believe that your problem may have less to do with any particular Medicare Part D insurer and more to do with the meds which have been prescribed for you.

Since you have decided to stay with Original Medicare (with a supplemental policy to pick up the cost slack), you do have to pick a free standing Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage plan (Part D).

However, you can pick from several different insurance companies that are offering this coverage in your area.

Your selection criteria should be based on medicines which you use which are offered on their formulary.  

I am not sure that you are gonna find Protonix on a Medicare Part D Insurance plan in brand form since there is an equivalent generic.  Medicare Drug plans would cover the generic of Protonix ( pantoprazole ) - FACT: FDA requires generic drugs to have the same quality and performance as brand name drugs. FDA: Understanding Generic Drugs

You will find generics used in the place of brands on many medications and if you really want the brand, then you will have to have your doc ask for the exception as you did and pay the extra cost.

GoodRx.com indicates the difference in price in generic vs brand and states that Medicare only covers the generic form.

However, you can always check other plans by going through the Medicare Plan Finder (link below) for the brand name to see if any Part D plans do offer these meds on their formulary in brand form.

When Open Enrollment opens in the fall of this year, go to this  Medicare site and do personalized search for a better / different Part D plan if there is one, to suite your needs better.

MEDICARE Plan Finder

There is a video on the right side of the page if you need to see how to use it.  But here you will be able to list your meds and see what all the companies offering these meds in a Medicare Drug Plan in your area offer - then you can pick the best one for your current needs.  Remember, you can change companies for Part D coverage yearly so it is always good to do a review during the annual open enrollment period.

You may want to talk over these meds with your doctor(s) since it is the philosophy of Medicare that Part D plans encourage the use of generics to keep down cost.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It might be difficult to understand as a new enrollee with "Medicare" regarding drug coverage. Plan F is by far the best as you never see any co-pays, decutibles and if aprovider charges more than what Medciare allows as approval Plan F pays for everything. Now regarding the drug part d, which is mandatory as an addition to any of the Supplemental Plans (under the Government rules :not just AARP or United Healthcare), ALL prescription drug coverage no matter what company you are with, by law, must substitue name brands for generic (unless your doctor writes a valid reason why the generic will no work for the patient) This rule also applies to any "complete plans that will replace name brands for generic (unless a doctor writes of letter of needed approval). 

I have never heard of a doctor bad mouthing any memeber of the healthcare profession (doctors or providers) so if the doctor in question did such a commnet and is reluctant to write a necessary letter, which I am sure he has needed to do numerous times (I would question the doctor and not the insurance provider).Note: As my memory serves me as when I did have private insurance before 65 (and not Medicare) name branded drugs were simple to get with a simple script But Medicare has strick government rules that must apply for cost savings accross the board. If you do not like United Healthcare and the Plan F and drug coverage you can shop around (but honeslty my fear is that all the providers will be the same)

@GailL1 wrote:

@r58721w wrote:

I believe that your problem may have less to do with any particular Medicare Part D insurer and more to do with the meds which have been prescribed for you.

Since you have decided to stay with Original Medicare (with a supplemental policy to pick up the cost slack), you do have to pick a free standing Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage plan (Part D).

However, you can pick from several different insurance companies that are offering this coverage in your area.

Your selection criteria should be based on medicines which you use which are offered on their formulary.  

I am not sure that you are gonna find Protonix on a Medicare Part D Insurance plan in brand form since there is an equivalent generic.  Medicare Drug plans would cover the generic of Protonix ( pantoprazole ) - FACT: FDA requires generic drugs to have the same quality and performance as brand name drugs. FDA: Understanding Generic Drugs

You will find generics used in the place of brands on many medications and if you really want the brand, then you will have to have your doc ask for the exception as you did and pay the extra cost.

GoodRx.com indicates the difference in price in generic vs brand and states that Medicare only covers the generic form.

However, you can always check other plans by going through the Medicare Plan Finder (link below) for the brand name to see if any Part D plans do offer these meds on their formulary in brand form.

When Open Enrollment opens in the fall of this year, go to this  Medicare site and do personalized search for a better / different Part D plan if there is one, to suite your needs better.

MEDICARE Plan Finder

There is a video on the right side of the page if you need to see how to use it.  But here you will be able to list your meds and see what all the companies offering these meds in a Medicare Drug Plan in your area offer - then you can pick the best one for your current needs.  Remember, you can change companies for Part D coverage yearly so it is always good to do a review during the annual open enrollment period.

You may want to talk over these meds with your doctor(s) since it is the philosophy of Medicare that Part D plans encourage the use of generics to keep down cost.

Contributor

Gail,,

I know what I was told...

At the time I was assured  the 2 meds I asked about, would be covered, I repeated "Brand Name", was told yes..

As I said, they finally agreed to the Protonix.

I have tried several generics, please read again what I wrote, none worked.

The doctor, (who knows much more than some fool sitting behind a desk), understands what works for my health.

These people who dictate what you can have are ridiculous, much like your statement.

Please don't email me with nonsence.

Their rating is as low as it can go.......

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just trying to help you understand the Medicare Prescription Drug Program and why your cost maybe so high and IF there maybe something you can do about it.

Shop your Medicare Part D plan during open enrollment, there could be an insurer that has them on their formulary - (doubtful, but maybe)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP